PDA

View Full Version : Universal water rides in January

drosenbe
12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
We are planning a visit to Universal during our stay next week. We usually visit during the summer, so the water rides are great.

Does anyone know if the water rides are heated? Do they tone down the splashes (a la Splash Mountain) during the colder months? Are we crazy to even think about going on them?

Thanks in advance.

mom2morgan
12-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I have no basis for comparison because we've only been in December, but I can't imagine it was toned down in anyway. We were outright DROWNED a couple of times! Jurassic Park was do-able, and Jaws is only bad if you are in that "sweet" spot on the left, but Bilge Barge Rats and Ripsaw Falls were the wettest thing I've ever experienced, and it was pretty dang cold. Really - I thought Kali River Rapids was wet - but Bilge Barge was MUCH worse! It was a cool-ish over cast day so we never dried out at all, and my daughter actually went and bought a skirt. (poor woman ahead of us probably should have, too, as she came off the ride in a thin white cotton dress that was so soaked we knew her bra and panties didn't match ;-)

DVC2004
12-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't think they are toned down. Stay away from Bilge Rat Barges and Ripsaw Falls for sure.

goofyskier
12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Considering Splash is closed next week (yeah I'm still bitter about that) I would say ride Dudley Do Right and Poppie till your hearts content as you cannot do so at Disney. Buy a poncho if you need to. I know we will when we are there next week :blush:

MNNHFLTX
01-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Having lived in Central Florida and visited Islands of Adventure many times in both summer and winter, I think you'll have to play it by ear as far as going on the water rides in January. The water is heated but you do get soaked on them. If it is a very chilly day (or downright cold as it is now), there's no way I would recommend going on any of them, except maybe Jurassic Park (if you have a poncho). To say you would be chilled walking around would be an understatement.