PDA

View Full Version : December trip with our GAC

kwhitt3202
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I was so confused with all the different storys I had heard about the GAC. Let me start by saying we have a wonderful bright and caring 4yr old son who was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis (NF), senceory deprovation, inpulse control issues, and a brain tumor. All the above makes for a very interesting day. Never a dull moment :). We go to WDW at least once a year for the last 8yrs. In 2008 we had several melt downs and at that time he was only diagnosed with NF. Since that trip we have added to our list of doctors and therapist think the total is 7 doctors and 5 therapist. All that to say what we were dealing with before heading to "Mickey's house".
We had arrived and decided to go to EPCOT and went to guest relations and showed a cast member a letter we brought for one of DS doctors. He went to the back and when he came back out he gave us a red paper card with two stamps one saying use alternative entrance and the other is that the stroller = wheelchair and a tag for the stroller that said stroller = wheelchair.
At every ride entrance we showed the card and was either told to go to the FP entrance or wheelcahir entrance(when there was no FP). Yes we recieved some dirty looks and some coments that were lets just say they were :secret:. We even encountered a couple cast members that were less than jolly and one of the I could no longer bite my tounge and told him he could come with me all day and deal with the melt downs and DS kicking, biting, and hiting him if he wanted to he changed his tune then. We did encounter some very wonderful cast members that went out of their way for us. Some did ask politly what was wrong with him he looks so normal and most were in shock when we told them.
We could use the card for rides and shows and take the stroller with us to the shows which was a wonderful thing becase his stroller was his safe place while we were there. Also could park the stroller in the wheelchair section for parades. We could NOT use the card for skiping lines at character greetings and meals. For thoses who have children with some of these issues you know that it ends up working out ok because the little bit waiting on characters you can coral and entertain your child enough to keep from having a melt down.
Our tone for this trip was different than any other. DH and I used our tickets for FP for the rides we were not going to take DS on or the ones he did not want to go one. We let DS tell us what rides he wanted to ride and when he was ready to go back to the room. There was a couple rides DH and I got FP for and DS decided he want to ride so we gave those FP to people that jumped out at us.
There are different kinds of stamps that can put on the GAC card its self. This was our story with the stamps on our card.

ElenitaB
12-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your experience will help other parents whose children have health issues, as they prepare for their trips!

I so agree with you about the comments, etc. I'd bet that you, as I, would gladly not have to avail ourselves of what others see as "special privileges."

wdw_bound
12-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Thans for sharing your experience. We use the GAC for our DD, who also looks perfectly fine. When we hear the comments we just ignore them. However, I do wish there was a little more consistency among the CMs - some of them don't really understand the stroller as a wheelchair concept. We were entering POTC and a CM came towards me calling out "Can she walk?" (pointing at DD) "if she can walk, you have to park that stroller" over and over again. On the other hand, 98% of the CMs are wonderful and go out of their way to make our one week a year absolutely magical.

peemagg
01-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe what needs to happen is that those CM's who seem to be confused about how to handle these situations that we have them call their managers and have them explain again the correct way to handle these situations.

Maybe it is a problem with training that we could help Disney by nicely pointing out where some more training needs to happen.

Again I am saying NICELY.

kwhitt3202
01-04-2010, 09:55 AM
We could call a manager and we did one time on our trip and found it to ba a BIG waist of our time. The time we did we spent over a half an hour waiting and they still didnt show and we ended up having to leave because when you have a child with the issues our is dealing with you cant keep them still for 5 min let alone stand in one area for 30 min and counting.
I do have to say that the cast members that were outstanding are ones that did ask ,politly I might add, what was wrong with him and also wondered what the things were exactly not just the titles. One cast member even sent a balloon over to him while we were waiting for the parade. We couldnt take it on the plane with us and we ended up passing along the magic and giving it to a little one the day we left.
There are so many medical issues that people deal with and new ones I hear of every day. No matter how many times the cast members are told there are always going to be at least one that has their own opinion. One that we encountered I simply asked where I could park the stroller before going on sorin She said "you take it with you but if you are going to use that stroller as a wheelchair he needs to be in it all the time." If you have an autistic child or one with scencory deporvation or other elements that have simular effect on the children you know that if their stroller is thir safe place then you need it close by if they need it.

disnewbie
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Maybe what needs to happen is that those CM's who seem to be confused about how to handle these situations that we have them call their managers and have them explain again the correct way to handle these situations.

Maybe it is a problem with training that we could help Disney by nicely pointing out where some more training needs to happen.

Again I am saying NICELY.

I agree. We were in WDW last June on my son's 7th birthday. Since we had a package w/ tickets, we opted for the "birthday dollars" instead of the free admission. We were at the ticket window at AK park when the CM told us that my son needed to sign his name on the gift card. My son, who was recently diagnosed with Dyslexia and ASD, couldn't write his name, so I signed it for him and handed it back to her. She said in a snippy tone, "He really needed to sign that himself." I said very nicely (so not to embarrass her), "He doesn't write yet." She said, "Well he should! He's old enough!"- and my son heard her. ... I waited until my husband and my children walked off before I gave her a little piece of my mind, and suggested that she might want to think about children who might be challenged the next time she makes a comment like that. ... It was just so rude. :(