PDA

View Full Version : Disney Trip Crisis!!

mjaclyn
12-28-2009, 09:20 PM
So at the 11 month mark I called to book my Magic Kingdom view room at Bay Lake tower for the last two weeks in September of 2010. I was SO excited until I found out recently that the Food & Wine Festival of 2010 doesn't start until October 1st!! What's up with that?? It usually starts the last week in September and that's why we chose those dates. We're scheduled to leave on October 1st so we won't even get one day at F&W. I'm having a terrible time deciding what to do. Can all of you who are Disney experts help me out? Here are my scenarios:

1. Keep the dates as is - the downside is that we won't be able to go to F&W, and we'll be going with the Free Dining crowds.

2. Change the dates to mid-October - the downside is that we want to go for two weeks, so any way you slice it we'll be there for some kind of holiday. Columbus Day is in the middle of the month and then there's Halloween.

3. Change the dates to the last week in October and the first week of November - the downside is we'll be there for Halloween, so I'm not sure how the crowds will be. Also, Veterens Day is November 11th so i'm not sure if the week before that will be affected or not. Lastly, one of DD's favorite things to do at WDW is swim in the pool. I've never been to WDW in November so I dont' know if it will be warm enough to swim.

Question - When do all the lights and decorations go up for Christmas? We've never been to WDW during the holidays so if we go the first week of November, would we see the castle lit up as well as the Osbourne lights?

Which time do you think would be the most crowded? Last two weeks of September, mid-October or last week of October/first week of November?

I need to decide ASAP so I can contact Member Services and change my plans. Please help!!!

SBETigg
12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Sorry for your schedule mix-up. The dates for the next year's F & W are always on the previous year's program, at the end. That's available online. It might have been too late to help at your eleven month mark, but it might have warned you sooner.

That said, I really wouldn't worry. I think your last week of September, first week of October could work. Though you are running into Columbus Day, I don't think it will get more crowded until Oct 7 or so. And Halloween crowds really are not bad at all. We've been then and had no problems. Oct 16-30 should be good for weather and crowds (though of course, there are always unpredictable changes). If you really want to go during F & W, I don't think you'll have any problems, as long as you can successfully move your stay. Best wishes with it!

faline
12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I think your biggest issue will be with whether or not you can get the accommodations you want. Crowds and weather are generally pretty manageable throughout all the dates you mention. Evenings can begin getting cooler by mid-October but generally swimming during daytime hours in not a issue through mid-November and often well beyond.

Dsnygirl
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi - I'm so sorry you had this mix-up... we love the F&W Fest like you, so if you're able to change your dates, I definitely would!!

We just went last Oct., the 22nd - Nov 1st, and the crowds were great... not busy at all!! Even on Halloween... we were pleasantly surprised to find the MK relataively quiet until about 5pm, when the party-goers started to arrive. We had gone earlier in the week, so had dinner ressies at CM's and headed out of the park around 6:30, just as things were really starting to heat up.

As far as temps, we had unusually warm weather our entire trip... only one day was 83, the rest were high 80's, and the last 2 or 3 were in the 90's. So, we swam a LOT... so I'm guessing that even with normal temps (which for that time period I believe are low to mid-80's) you should be able to swim.

I hope you're able to fix it how you'd like... good luck!! :fingers:

MidnTPK
12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
One thing to consider: in the last two weeks of September, both water parks will be open. Sometime in October one of them will be going down for the annual refurb/seasonal closing. If I were staying for two weeks, I'd want both places to be open. But this is moot if you're not water park visitors.

peemagg
12-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Seeing as you said "11 month mark", I am assuming that you are DVC members or are renting points from one. If that is the case then you could run into a problem changing your dates due to the F&W festival. That is a high reservation time for DVC members.

If you are using points to stay at a DVC resort, you can not get the free dining promotion. It is only for those who are not DVC members or using DVC points to stay there. Unfair? Yes, but that is the way Dsiney does it.

rockydek
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I booked a two bedroom at BWV for the end of Sept until Oct 1...I am having the same issues that you are.
Here is an E-mail correspondance from WDW dated 12/10/2009.

Dear Tammy, Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.We are delighted to hear you are planning a vacation at Walt Disney World! Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: 2010 Dates: September 24 - November 7, 2010 We look forward to your visit to the Walt Disney World Resort and hope that your time with us is magical! If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us. Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number ifapplicable on all correspondence. Sincerely, Ann Polson WDW Online Communications PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

rockydek
02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
The dates Sept 24 2010 to November 7 2010 are on the back of the 2009 brochure.
Maybe the website will change.
:mickey:

Ed
02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I booked a two bedroom at BWV for the end of Sept until Oct 1...I am having the same issues that you are.
Here is an E-mail correspondance from WDW dated 12/10/2009.

...Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: 2010 Dates: September 24 - November 7, 2010 ...PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

The dates Sept 24 2010 to November 7 2010 are on the back of the 2009 brochure.
Maybe the website will change.
:mickey:

My favorite CM ;) just checked the internal WDW Intranet a few minutes ago; it's showing the 2010 dates as October 1st through November 14th. It does mention, however, that "details have not been finalized at this time."

diz_girl
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Seeing as you said "11 month mark", I am assuming that you are DVC members or are renting points from one. If that is the case then you could run into a problem changing your dates due to the F&W festival. That is a high reservation time for DVC members.

If you are using points to stay at a DVC resort, you can not get the free dining promotion. It is only for those who are not DVC members or using DVC points to stay there. Unfair? Yes, but that is the way Dsiney does it.

I think that she meant that the Free Dining crowds was a con, not a pro. She included it as a downside of option #1.

IMHO, I'd change the reservation. If you're not getting free dining, why bother going during that time unless you have to. Yes, the lines for the rides are pretty short, but October and November crowds are still pretty good. Also, when I'm at WDW I want to be able to actually get ADRs where I want and enjoy them while I'm there. Free dining would probably prevent that from happening to some extent.

You'd probably be fine with anytime within the last two weeks of October and the first week of November. Although Halloween falls during that time, there is no day off accompanying it, so attendance shouldn't be affected by it.

Good luck changing your dates. You're still before the 7-month mark, so I have hope for you. Also, the EPCOT resorts have the highest demand during F&WF, so you should be OK for now until you reach the 7 month mark, since you are still at a monorail resort. Plus, I think that I read on another post of yours that you were planning to stay in a 2 BR. Since the studios and Grand Villas go first pretty much anywhere, you will hopefully still be able to get a 2br.

iloveokw
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Christmas decorations/activities usually begin on the day after Thanksgiving.

rockydek
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
My favorite CM ;) just checked the internal WDW Intranet a few minutes ago; it's showing the 2010 dates as October 1st through November 14th. It does mention, however, that "details have not been finalized at this time."

Thanks for checking...I can hope!:mickey:

I did all my planning around it...:blush: