PDA

View Full Version : Block of Disney's Hollywood Studios to Undergo Refubishment 2/15/10 - 3/27/10

Figment!
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
2/4/10

The refurbishment dates for the Studios Catering Co. have been shifted to February 8 through March 20, 2010.

Studios Cast have also reported that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure has been updated to a partitioned refurbishment and will not require a full closure. Guests should still expect some sections of the attraction to be blocked-off during the time period.

The refurbishment dates for the Studio Backlot Tour reportedly remain unchanged.

The scope of these refubishments has still not been announced, but any potential changes are still expected to be minor. It has also not been reported what Guest flow options should be expected around the area of these three adjecent attractions.

12/28/09

It has been announced that the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure, Studio Catering Co. restaurant, and the Studio Backlot Tour will be closed for refurbishment February 15 through March 27, 2010.

With these three adjacent locations being closed for refurbishment at the same time, there is potential for the whole area to be walled off during this period or at least congested walk ways due to walls around the individual areas.

Speculation is running rampant that these refurbishments are tied to expanding the adjacent Pixar Place into this area. While this geographically makes sense, there are currently no internal reports or announcements that support such changes.

Further updates on how these refurbishments will affect Guest patterns through this area and the changes planned, will be made to this thread.

faline
12-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the update!

disneyluva
12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Monster's Inc ride - PLEASE!!!! My kids and I have had one planned out for years!

BMan62
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't know how much they expect to accomplish in 6 weeks!!! Unless there are things already prepared for switch-out, this sounds like a relatively minor refurb of the area.

Figment!
12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Don't know how much they expect to accomplish in 6 weeks!!! Unless there are things already prepared for switch-out, this sounds like a relatively minor refurb of the area. Right, any changes toward a Pixar Place annexation would be only cosmetic in that short of a time period...and that's assuming that is even the reason for these rehabs.

It would stand to reason that something is afoot; however, as two attractions and a restaurant in the same vicinity do not typically close for refurbs at the same time for just routine maintenance.

hartman27
12-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I think this is probably the beginning of the end for the "Honey" movie set. With Captain EO taking over "Audience" at Disneyland, it's not surprising that Disney is preparing to get rid of all things "Honey" as it's out of date and not as recognizable to the general public like it once was.

It's sort of Disney's own fault that these themed attractions don't get as much attention as they used to. It's not like they've really ever released a good special edition double pack of "Shrunk" and "Blew Up" for an nostalgic audience to connect with.

MizMissy
12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I think this is probably the beginning of the end for the "Honey" movie set. With Captain EO taking over "Audience" at Disneyland, it's not surprising that Disney is preparing to get rid of all things "Honey" as it's out of date and not as recognizable to the general public like it once was.

I agree that Honey is not recognizable to most people and while I think that the 3D movie definitely needs to be replaced, I love the movie set playground (well, I might love it more if there was an extra bench or two to rest) and so do my children. Also, if they remove it without a replacement, there is no place else for children to run off some extra steam at DHS and that would be a real disappointment.:(

Belster
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info!!!!!

hartman27
12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
MizMizzy,

What I think might happen is something along the lines of what is going on in Hong Kong Disney with their Toy Story backyard kids area where you are in Andy's backyard.

Most likely there won't be the extra rides like Hong Kong but this adaptation of the backyard (adding TS themed items) wouldn't take very long and the grass blades could even stay the same.

But who knows what they are really thinking. It's just a thought.

Joannelet
12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
This is definitely good news as all those things need some refurb!
I agree with one of the previous posts, if they brought a monsters inc ride like the one in Cali that would be great and much appreciated!! But it is a short amount of time to do that in.
I think a Toy Story park where the Honey I Shrunk the kids playground would be a great idea. We shall see!!! :)
Hopefully it will be something good!

mulderxcoltrane
12-30-2009, 12:50 AM
It has been announced that the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure, Studio Catering Co. restaurant, and the Studio Backlot Tour will be closed for refurbishment February 15 through March 27, 2010.

With these three adjacent locations being closed for refurbishment at the same time, there is potential for the whole area to be walled off during this period or at least congested walk ways due to walls around the individual areas.

Speculation is running rampant that these refurbishments are tied to expanding the adjacent Pixar Place into this area. While this geographically makes sense, there are currently no internal reports or announcements that support such changes.

Further updates on how these refurbishments will affect Guest patterns through this area and the changes planned, will be made to this thread.

Is there a link to the official announcement? I have a relative who works down at WDW and couldn't find anything about the HISTK playground on the official cast website.

- Thanks

vizsla
12-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the update.

Emme&TeddysMommy
12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I think that a rehab of some sort would be great at the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure. When we were at DHS is September we noticed a lot of areas where spots were severely rundown or an accident waiting to happen. This is one of my kid’s favorite spots to go and just run off some extra energy. I hope that they do rehab this area. A toy story upgrade sounds kina cool if it happens.

Stu29573
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
How about Sid's backyard? Wait, that might be a little traumatic...:D

wildernesslady
12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Could there possibly be an update for Backlot? It really needs it.

braindew
12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
The playground could easliy be made a "Bug's Life" theme...In general I am guessing we are getting more Pixar theming which can't be a bad thing, right? I predict some refrence to Up somewhere too. Here's a thought, backlot tour could be themed to Wall-E and make it a Buy n Large narrated tour. You finish the tour meeting Wall-E in a Meet n Greet. I still think the Wall-E we saw at D23 Expo will show up somewhere. The shop could be named Buy n Large. The counter service could be where the Up theme comes, name: Paradise Falls.

KylesMom
12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Here's a thought, backlot tour could be themed to Wall-E The backlot tour was closed for months last year. We were speculating away as to what could be going on with it, but it opened exactly the way it had been before the closure. I'm not expecting much upgrade in this area, at least not for this short six-week closure. It would be really cool if they did something through that whole area, right up from the BLT entrance to Pizza Planet in the future. . .

Darbylew
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the update. I am pleased to hear
that this area will be updated. It really needs
it. :thumbsup:

mulderxcoltrane
12-30-2009, 11:21 PM
anyone have the original press release/announcement?

JPL
12-31-2009, 12:54 AM
I think they are doing a sprucing up of the current area as well some infrastructure work to prepare for further change in the future. That area is slated to become part of Pixar Place in the future some elements are there and it really just needs some linking features to make it work.

pdrlkr
12-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Crow
12-31-2009, 09:25 PM
HISTK playground is on of the few areas ive never really explored. The Backlot Tour isnt as good since they cut back on it, but i still like it.
I wouldnt rule out Toy Story, w Toy Story 3D coming.

Imagineer1981
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I think HISTK playground could easily become Bugs Life playground, just throw a few statues of the characters in there, and done. It makes sense to do that for a quick refurb. I am excited that they are doing something with that area though, its definitely a dead space now unfortunately.

But IMHO, if they could just bring productions back to the Studios, that would be a huge improvement. DHS just doesn't have that "hollywood" feel anymore when you are there. You used to get the feeling you might bump into a star or see some filming or get some special previews and the animators were making the next animated classic...it was a very cool experience.

Crow
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I think HISTK playground could easily become Bugs Life playground, just throw a few statues of the characters in there, and done. It makes sense to do that for a quick refurb. I am excited that they are doing something with that area though, its definitely a dead space now unfortunately.

But IMHO, if they could just bring productions back to the Studios, that would be a huge improvement. DHS just doesn't have that "hollywood" feel anymore when you are there. You used to get the feeling you might bump into a star or see some filming or get some special previews and the animators were making the next animated classic...it was a very cool experience.

i agree w the filming. the animators are missed.

Gooftroop5
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
It wouldn't be much to change the playground into the backyard in Toy Story either. It would make you feel like you are a toy. A few sign changed, fresh paint, a couple of character statues and you are all set. I agree that they need a few more benches inside too. The kids were having fun but dh & I were ready to sit & relax. :sleepin:

However other then the theme I don't think it is a dead spot. No matter what time of year we are there there are always kids in it. My kids love it. They teased to go back to it until we did.

tjewelcat
01-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Just curious, we will be there the week before the 15th. Should I be concerned that the dates for these attractions could be moved up? How accurate is the rehab schedule?

Figment!
01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
How accurate is the rehab schedule? All things Disney are subject to change, but the dates reported are those that have been announced internally to the affected Cast Members.

Should I be concerned that the dates for these attractions could be moved up?Rehabs very rarely start prior to when they are scheduled.

tjewelcat
01-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks!

crltkcagle
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Monster's Inc ride - PLEASE!!!! My kids and I have had one planned out for years!

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

emmatink
01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
That would upset my husband about getting rid of the playground. He enjoys the break and an adult beverage :beer: next door as the kids run around with grandma for an hour or so!

Supercali
01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Some Imagineers have recently mentioned to Theme Park Insider that they are considering replacing the HISTK playground with Toy Story Land. It seems to me that this would take up more room than the current area. We'll have to wait and see.:thumbsup:

wdwluv
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
We visited as a family for the first time in May 2009. My daughter asked for ONE attraction the entire WDW visit - the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground. I kept putting it off and putting it off because I thought they wouldn't want to go do anything else afterwards. (especially the 3 yr old boy) So I did everything else we (me?) wanted to fit in and then headed over there for the last hour of the park. Only to find it closes one hour before the rest of the park. Oh the guilt. (especially since some of that time spent was to go see HSM3 show which no one ended up enjoying)

Please tell me it will still be there in December when we come back! A change to Bugs Life or Toy Story is FINE! (even welcome) Just please don't let it go so I can make it up to the poor girl! (and Mom can relieve some guilt)

Surfer_Clock
02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
From what I've been able to gather from my fellow CMs: HISK will not be undergoing refurbishment for which it will need to close during any of those times. The Backlot Tour will only be receiving minor refurbishment during its downtime, and Toy Story Midway Mania! is scheduled for its first major refurb sometime during March/April.

MinnieMommie
02-04-2010, 06:47 AM
This is interesting. I look forward to future updates. :mickey:

Figment!
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
**Update**