PDA

View Full Version : Arriving 1/1/2010...is this plan crazy?

drosenbe
12-27-2009, 11:07 PM
We are arriving at MCO at ~12:30pm on 1/1/2010. I figure that we should arrive at OKW by ~3pm. I'm thinking of going to DHS at 4pm,
Trying to get into a 4:30pm B&tB, then eating at a counter service until the osbourne lights come on. Then we will head over to Fantasmic ~7pm to line up for the 8pm show.

My questions are:
how long does it take to see the Osbourne lights? 1/2 hour or an hour? If it takes longer, then we could see them after Fantasmic.

I've heard that the later show of Fantasmic is always easier to get into. Do you think that arriving at 7 will be too late? We will be in the world all week, so we could see the Sunday 6:30 show, which will probably be much less crowded, but if we can get good seats on Friday, I would prefer it.

Thanks in advance

faline
12-28-2009, 09:21 AM
It's hard to say. The parks should still be very crowded on the 1st of January. It's even possible that some parks could reach capcacity and be closed to additional guests - particularly those who arrive late in the day.

The length of time required to see the Osborne Lights depends upon how long you want to spend absorbing the atmosphere and paying attention to the details. You could likely do a quick walk-through in 15 minutes.

I would suspect that the theater for Fantasmic will fill very quickly and I would also guess that folks will begin lining up for the show more than one hour in advance.

Go with your plan but have a backup plan in case you are not able to do all that you want on this day.

MNNHFLTX
12-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I think it's do-able. The Osborne Lights are concentrated on the Streets of America and the town square at the end of it (near Lights, Motor, Action). It can get very crowded on Streets of America (as in you can barely move crowded) when the lights go on, so if you want to make a quicker getaway I would recommend seeing the lights as a whole from the top of the street. From there you can take the side street (past Mama Melrose's) to the back of the display and then either retrace your steps back on the side street or cut through the Studio Catering Company restaurant to get back to the Fantasmic theater.

If you want more time to savor the lights or less crowds to walk through, then by all means do Fantasmic first and see the lights afterward. It will be less crowded and you won't have the time pressure to make the Fantasmic show. :mickey:

MidnTPK
12-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Have you looked at the weather forecast for Saturday for the NY area? Rain/snow showers.

Which is another way of saying that keep your plans flexible....your flight/s might be delayed.

GreenBeetle
12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
My questions are:
how long does it take to see the Osbourne lights? 1/2 hour or an hour? If it takes longer, then we could see them after Fantasmic.

I thought the Osbourne Light show ran every 10 minutes beginning at 6pm through January 4th? We will be there beginning January 2nd, so clarification on this would be helpful. :)

drosenbe
12-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've rethought our plans and will probably to the MK and see the castle lighting, spectromagic and holiday wishes. We'll see Fantasmic on sunday night when everyone has gone home after the holidays.

Re the last question...as I remember it, the lights are on...and spectacular..but now they 'dance' to music and the music probably recycles every 10 minutes or so. It's more or less continuous. Can anyone else clarify or say otherwise

faline
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
We were there earlier this month. As I recall, the "dancing" started every 10 minutes or so. We were there quite a while and I don't recall the lights "dancing" to the same songs over and over. It seemed the songs were different each time they "danced" though I'd guess they do eventually repeat.