PDA

View Full Version : Grand Gathering Question

disneyfanfromoz
12-27-2009, 12:51 AM
We have always travelled as our little family. But for next year we have friends going and we are all meeting up at WDW for my 40th Birthday.

We all have different budgets and tastes, so we will be staying at different resorts but dining together etc. There will be between 10 and 16 of us in total :crowd:. Are we able to go to grand gathering events or as we are staying at different resorts do we not count?

I don't really know much about grand gatherings, I have seen them mentioned before but don't completely understand them as we have never done it or had a large enough of a group to be comsidered grand do you just book into events when you are there.

tys_mommy
12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
As long as your entire party (or at least 80% of it) will be staying on resort property you can still qualify for a grand gathering.

If it were me I would not try to do "everything" together as you mentioned you'll be staying at different resorts you'll probably spend most of your vacation just waiting on each other. Even staying at the same resort this can happen with groups. Making dining reservations each day could be a way for everyone to meet up and discuss their adventures.

And since you will have a larger group make sure you make your reservations early - 180 days before arrival

yjgirl32
12-27-2009, 04:57 PM
We were able to do a grand gathering experience in Sept. We did the safari/Tusker experience. It was a lot of fun. I also had friends do the dessert at Mk grand gathering experience and they said that was a lot of fun. Good luck.

KathyMJ
12-27-2009, 10:55 PM
A group of 8 or more is considered a Grand Gathering. I have booked many Grand Gatherings where families have stayed at different resorts.

Remember that even though you are booking a Grand Gathering, you don't need to spend every minute together. Set up your dinners and some "special things" ahead of time. For instance a big group picture in front of the castle :mickey:

But also schedule time for everyone to go on their own. I have found that with a large group of people, this is very important. Different things will interest different folks:)

There are some Grand Gathering Excursions that you can book for an extra fee.

Grand Gatherings are just so much fun!!!
Remember....you need to think up a name to give your gathering!! A lot of folks will also get t-shirts made up for everyone in the gathering to wear on one of the days they are spending together.

Have a great trip!!

wdw_bound
01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Not sure if the Safari experience is worth it? Is the Safari ride different than KS? What creatures do they bring to the courtyard?

The Epcot experience sounds neat - anyone tried it?

sacandjac
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
The sunset safari is great. Different from the regular safari. It is slower and really allows you time to see the animals and take pictures. Guide explains what you are seeing etc. Downside the food at tusker house is a little different and may not be good for picky eaters. Tonys breakfast was good and character interaction great. Epcot dinner/fireworks fun and food was good. I would have to say the thing we enjoyed the most was the wishes fireworks cruise but not sure if this is still a grand gathering experience. But I think anyone can book this. Have a great time.

pixiesmimi
01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Can you tell me where to find info on this?