PDA

View Full Version : Marathon weekend on property resorts at capacity??

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
12-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I wasn't planning on running the marathon or half marathon this year, but I have the possibility of getting a bib number from a runner who is already registered and won't be able to run the half this year. The marathon weekend is 1/08 - 1/10.

I am also an annual passholder, and I can drive down there in about 8 hours, stay for the weekend and run, then come home. So I called WDW reservations today, and they said that there are absolutely NO rooms on property available, with or without the AP discount!

The crowd calendar shows the three days as a 4, 6, and 4 crowd level, respectively, which ain't bad. I'm wondering though, did they just have a lot of rooms blocked off to not rent at all? I haven't stayed off property in a long time, and I don't know if I'll look forward to that or not, seeing how early you have to get there.

Any thoughts on this??
And, Merry Christmas everybody!
:santa:

DizneyRox
12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Capacity is more of a measurement of staffing levels than the number of rooms on property.

If they don't have the staff to service the room, they can't sell them. During that time of year, they go to a skeleton crew so ramping up capacity for one week doesn't really play into the cards.

I wouldn't doubt they are at 100% capacity, but that might really only equate to 60% of the rooms filled with bodies.

faline
12-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd suggest seeing if Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/)can help you out.

Patricia
12-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Don't forget to check out the Downtown Disney hotels.. although I would think they are filling up too. Also, Wyndham Bonnet Creek is pretty much across the street from CBR.

Good Luck!

OogieBoogieMan
12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
If you are really flexible, emphasis on really, think about Priceline. I have had good success bidding on 4 star plus hotels in LBV at the last minute, getting rooms that go for $200+ a night for $50. The big key is booking only two or three days out. If you can live with being shut out, it isn't a bad option.

I don't think I could run with someone else's bib though, if I put in the sweat I want the official credit! (I am doing Goofy this year)

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Ah, it doesn't bother me running under somebody else's bib. He even has the same first name, so I will be able to respond when people yell my name, if anybody does that.

I think you may be on to something. I don't mind waiting until a couple of days before to book the room. I have about 5 or 6 off property resorts I'd be fine with, and I would stay on property if I could.

This is getting a little off topic, but, with the 5:40 start, if I drove to the start (staying off property or on), can you get there a little later than those REALLY early busses from the Disney resorts?