PDA

View Full Version : AK Villas vs. Saratoga Springs

Schmiv
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Looking for some feedback from people regarding the villas at AK & SS. We are a family of 5 (3 boys ages 9,7 & 2) and not sure where to stay. Last visit was 3 years ago :( in Feb. Now thinking of going last wk in Aug. 2010 for 7 days. I love Animal Kingdom & think the kids would have a blast there. I'm thinking SS may be too off the beaten path for the boys who will probably want to be closer to a park. Any info would help this lost Disney Girl. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
It's not even close, AKLV is about a zillion times better than SSR. It's actually more off the beaten path than SSR, but the resort is beautiful.

TheRustyScupper
12-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Akv !

Schmiv
12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info. but I'm still confused. The cost between AKV and SSR is huge. We can get a 1 bedroom for our family of 5 for $200 more than a studio @ AKV. I'm thinking that the kitchen and bedroom with the door will b better with the 2 year old. Any detailed info you can provide will be helpful. :blush:

TinksDH
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
The reason you can get a better deal at SSR is that AKV is probably more desirable. We own at SSR, and while it is a nice, well-kept resort, the themeing and ease of getting around at AKV is head-and-shoulders above that of AKV. We think that AKV is the best themed of all of the DVC resorts.

Having said that, however, if you think you'll use the kitchen at SSR (and if you do you'll save much more in food than the $200 up-charge) and could use the extra space, then by all means go for SSR. It's a nice resort. Neither location is really convenient, compared to say BLT, BCV, BCV, VWL, with of course the exception being the AK park.

DizneyRox
12-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Definitely didn't provide enough informationi nt he first post... Makes more sense now... Cash for DVC rooms is a totally different beast.

First, you probably want to compare apples to apple. A 1BR is totally different than a studio. A studio is really a glorified hotel room. While it's fine for us, a 1BR is SOOOOOO much nicer, and not because of the kitchen. Even $200 I think will be tough to save using the kitchen, you still need to buy groceries, etc. But, the convenience is nice, with laundry right inthe room, the extra room as you mentioned, the jaccuzi, etc.

If it were me, I'd go 1BR at AKLV. I've done SSR a few times and can't wait to leave. The bus stops drive me nuts, the location really isn't convenient to anywhere except DTD. It's a HUGE resort, so the buses are often packed.

There's a reason it's cheaper in price... I'm not at all impressed with SSR.

Schmiv
12-23-2009, 12:56 PM
If it were me, I'd go 1BR at AKLV. I've done SSR a few times and can't wait to leave. The bus stops drive me nuts, the location really isn't convenient to anywhere except DTD. It's a HUGE resort, so the buses are often packed.

There's a reason it's cheaper in price... I'm not at all impressed with SSR.

:thumbsup: I totally see your point. The buses being packed is a big thing for me especially since we will have 3 kids with us including the toddler. Last time we went we loved Animal Kingdom and I really think that the kids will enjoy the themed villas much more than SSR.

Also, we were planning on doing the DDP anyway so the Studio @ AKV would not be a bad thing, just would not have the bedroom for DS#3. So I guess the kitchen really should not be a deal breaker then.

Thanks so much for the info. Looks like we are back to AKV, just need to decide between studio or 1 bedroom. :mickey:

TinksDH
12-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Even $200 I think will be tough to save using the kitchen, you still need to buy groceries, etc.

You don't think it's possible to save only $30 a day by eating in the room vs. Disney Dining? I know we, as a family of 5, easily save that JUST on breakfasts during the course of a week. We buy milk at the on-site grocery, but pack dry cereal and pop tarts in a suitcase we bring with us. We then use that same suitcase to bring home souvies.

If we ate just two dinners in the room we'd save over $200.