PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the best time to go..

mom2morgan
12-22-2009, 05:03 PM
this is tangential to another thread, so I hope I'm not in violation -but wondering if my thinking on this is right? I'm wondering if early December is "THE" best time to go to the parks for two reasons - one, I've always heard that the crowds are lighter than peak season (although I know they've been picking up in recent years) but two - I'm guessing that there are never refurbs at that point? My reasoning is that if they are expecting huge crowds over Christmas and New Years they are unlikely to take ANY attractions off line (unless, of course, there is a breakdown or unexpected problem of some sort). Am I right in thinking that this makes December the best off-season compromise?

Strmchsr
12-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Actually, no. Probably early November or September is the best time to go right now. You're right about there generally being no refurbs in early December, but it's getting really crowded so the crowd levels are no longer an enticement to go. Also, the weather tends to be nuts in December. Levels are lower in early November or during September, even though September is hurricane season. My pick for best time to go right now would be late September (you still get MNSSHP and F&WF) or early November (right around when MVMCP starts).

mom2morgan
12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Actually, no. Probably early November or September is the best time to go right now. You're right about there generally being no refurbs in early December, but it's getting really crowded so the crowd levels are no longer an enticement to go. Also, the weather tends to be nuts in December. Levels are lower in early November or during September, even though September is hurricane season. My pick for best time to go right now would be late September (you still get MNSSHP and F&WF) or early November (right around when MVMCP starts).

And probably still fairly low chances of refurbs, since they are gearing up for the holidays? Or would they be trying to get last minute refurbs done then? Must say I do love the Christmas decorations, though - I'm afraid it woudln't feel like Disney without them - but you are right about the weather. We go to Disney to escape winter, and last Dec. it didn't feel like much of an escape - and then we didn't get home because of blizzards up here! What's the November weather like? And is September likely to be really busy if they keep running the free dining?

Strmchsr
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Or would they be trying to get last minute refurbs done then?...What's the November weather like? And is September likely to be really busy if they keep running the free dining?

Unless it's one of the really big refurbs where it's down for several months like Space Mountain or Spaceship Earth they generally don't have too many big ones going on during the fall. Occasionally you'll see something go down for a week, but that's more likely in early September.

Early November weather is generally very comfortable. Highs in the upper 70s and the rainy winter hasn't really started yet. Check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central to get a good idea.

If you go the 2nd week of November most Christmas decorations are up and the MVMCP is getting underway. You do run the risk of missing the Osborne Lights (it's hit and miss on when that starts - sometimes before Thanksgiving, sometimes after) plus the CP hasn't started yet.

The September crowds still aren't really bad, even with "free" dining. I think most folks have caught on now that "free" dining isn't necessarily the greatest deal since there are other discounts throughout the year just as good so that craze has calmed a little. Plus, even though the restaurants are packed, the rides themselves haven't been that bad.

DizneyRox
12-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I still think Summer is the best time to go... I like a Holiday trip to WDW as much as the next person, but really enjoy hitting the parks in 90+ degree weather!

As I've said, crowds don't really bother me, it's mostly about park hours and things to do. Refurbs are almost non existent in the summer, park hours sometimes until 3am, and really, you know what the weather is going to be like.

Fall has possible hurricanes, winter is hit or miss with the weather, and spring seems to be refurb season.

Gator
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I have to agree with the OP. I've been twice in early December and NOTHING has been closed. I love it. I get to ride all the rides that I love, plus they have extra Christmas activities. However, it's become very busy during that time. Not as busy as a summer, but MK and Epcot definitely see bigger crowds during this season. If you like having everything available, you nailed for the best time. If you like lower crowds and don't mind your favorite rides going down for a refurb, go in Jan/Feb.

Mitzie
12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
We just returned from a trip two weeks ago(Dec 5-11) we felt it was more crowded overall then when we have gone in Oct.

bruin1344
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Early-Mid May is a great time to go, very little refurbs, low crowds and weather isnt too hot

12-23-2009, 02:23 PM
The first couple of weeks in September were fairly light and the week between the end of the Halloween parties and the start of the Christmas parties was pretty light this year. The last couple of weeks of August were not too bad as schools are starting earlier and a lot of families were not coming then.

kcrc
12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
We've been twice in May, and thought that was wonderful. It was warm, but the crowds had not become summer crowds yet. Although, we went this past June/July, and the crowds were very manageable. We were pleasantly surprised!
We have also been in December a couple times, and while the decorations are beautiful, the weather is crazy! We were there 12/4 - 12/9 this year, and we went through a monsoon, freezing cold, and then up to 80+ degrees! It's really hard to pack for all that! When we're in the summer, I know I'm throwing shorts and bathing suits in the suitcases and I'm good to go!

dumbo_buddy
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
january has been light. two septembers ago we were there (around the 20th) and it was super light! we got MNSSHP and it was so fun! the only problem was that it was really hot. i prefer january b/c it's cool.

but i think OP may be correct that early december is a GREAT time b/c most everything would be open and crowds pretty low!:mickey:

thumperbug
12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
The best time of year to go is all relative. I know late August-early September has low crowds but I can't tolerate high heat so thats not good. You can see from my signature that I've been to WDW during most months and I can't say I have an opinion on the best time to go but when I was there 11/17-20 I thought it was great. The weather was nice, all the holiday decorations were up (including osborne lights) and we literally walked on to every ride/attraction. I don't know if it was luck or what but I am giving serious thought to taking my son out of school for 2-3 days same time next year to go because even if the trip is a short one, with crowds that small and no wait on rides, you can get alot done in a short time.

sorcerer fan
12-23-2009, 08:52 PM
We just got back from dec 6-15, it was hot for most of the trip upper 80's and it only rained one day and it was light jacket cool for that day. the only real crowds were in MK and they weren't july crowds. the other parks were walk on to almost everything. no fast pass for ToT and low wait for mission space, test track and spaceship earth. still worth going to see all the xmas lights and decorations even though they have cut back on them a lot

LoriMistress
12-23-2009, 11:06 PM
The first two weeks of November would be best time to go. The weather is great and crowds are light. The first two weeks of December has Pop Warner crowds, and people on many boards have complained about them.

Joannelet
12-23-2009, 11:09 PM
The best time to go is when I'm not there.

:funny:

sorry just had to say it :) LOL

crmark1
12-26-2009, 01:26 PM
We have been in April, June, Oct, I would love to go in December just for the Christmas events. Still my favorite time to go is Easter week. It seems like our school spring break is always at Easter. We have been there 5 times during Easter. The weather is usually perfect and by then I'm ready for a little Spring weather. I havent really thought of it as being that crowded either. I couldnt tell much difference than late June crowds.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
We just got back from our Dec.2-10th trip. It was our 13th trip and it was our best yet! We have never been at WDW for the Christmas party and decorations. The weather certainly varied but, we were well prepared for anything. We will go at this time again, for sure! We walked onto nearly every ride! The crowds didn't bother us at all and we were "inchanted" with all of the amazingly beautiful Christmas "happenings".
We love Sept/Oct time too. But, we must say I think early December is our new favorite time to go!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Gator
12-26-2009, 08:38 PM
The first two weeks of November would be best time to go. The weather is great and crowds are light. The first two weeks of December has Pop Warner crowds, and people on many boards have complained about them.

But then it's not value season, which means it costs more money to stay during that time vs early Dec or January. Tough decision.

Pan
12-27-2009, 02:16 AM
We were there from 12/20-12/23 and it was fairly crowded. Magic Kingdom was nuts on Monday the 21st, although it did thin out after the fireworks. Animal Kingdom seemed pretty crowded on Tuesday 12/22, but we made use of Fast Pass both days and managed to do everything we wanted to. Still amazes me, the amount of people who don't grasp the concept of Fast Pass and get upset because other people are getting on a ride before them.

Duck Daisy Duck
12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
If you can take the heat the 2nd week of Sept. is a good time to go as far as crowds. :mickey:

finaldynasty
03-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I still think Summer is the best time to go... I like a Holiday trip to WDW as much as the next person, but really enjoy hitting the parks in 90+ degree weather!

As I've said, crowds don't really bother me, it's mostly about park hours and things to do. Refurbs are almost non existent in the summer, park hours sometimes until 3am, and really, you know what the weather is going to be like.

Fall has possible hurricanes, winter is hit or miss with the weather, and spring seems to be refurb season.

So true..I love going in the summer also because my family loves the pools and water parks and 90 degree weather creates the perfect setting.

gollybass
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
we are going september 12-19 and I'm just hoping for a) no hurricanes and b) no refurbs to a ride I really want to go on! Living in Arizona, the heat isn't much of a bother to us.

Tinksalot
03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I personally like to go right after Thanksgiving. Everything at the parks is already decorated for Christmas (which is my favorite time of year):tree:

Disneychickie
03-27-2010, 12:06 AM
We just got back from dec 6-15, it was hot for most of the trip upper 80's and it only rained one day and it was light jacket cool for that day. the only real crowds were in MK and they weren't july crowds. the other parks were walk on to almost everything. no fast pass for ToT and low wait for mission space, test track and spaceship earth. still worth going to see all the xmas lights and decorations even though they have cut back on them a lot

Have they really cut back on the decorations??

DiannaJ
03-27-2010, 04:57 PM
May is good of course. Last May we got soaked at the end of the month this time we are going earlier in May. I went from Sept 27 thru Oct 4th 09 crowds were super light weather was perfect no rain the whole week and it was in the 80's to low 90's.

Disney Doll
03-28-2010, 08:24 AM
My pick is the last week of Sept. Still warm, but not sweltering like it can be in the summer months. Light crowds, value season, MNSSHP, & FWF. "Free" dining does sometimes clog the restaurants, but as long as you make your ADRs a full 180 days out it's okay. We don't do free dining so we mainly stick to counter service anyway.

plutosnana
03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
November, really go in November, because there are not very many people there, the lines are about 10-15 minutes, and the christmas decorations are up! Luv, plutosnana :pluto:

LoriMistress
03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Jan, Feb, Sept, Oct, (August probably now since a lot of schools start in Aug), Nov, and Dec are probably the best times to go.