PDA

View Full Version : Parking

bbopper
12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
My husband might need a wheelchair when we go next summer. We have a handicap hang tag for our car. My question is would it be better to drive from park to park or still take the busses? Not sure how convenient the handicap parking is. Also, do resort guests have to pay parking fees?

Hair_Razor
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Not sure but I'm pretty sure you still have to pay for parking. As far as closeness it's about the same, If I were you I would just take the buses.

Melanie
12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Resort guests do get free parking. I'm not familiar with handicapped parking, but I would imagine it's very convenient to the entrances. I'd drive. :)

dnickels
12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I can't speak for whether it's better to take the buses or not, but a quick rundown of the parks and handicapped parking situation

MK -spaces outside the tunnel/bridge thing, sometimes you actually spend less time walking if you park and take the tram rather than park in the handicapped spaces. Plenty of parking

Epcot -spaces right near the entrance and plenty of them

DHS -spaces right near the entrance, but very few of them

AK -spaces near the entrance and generally plenty of them, but can be a problem at busier times

Altair
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
After you pass the entrance to the parking lots there are colored lines along the edge of the road. You usually follow the blue line to the handicapped lot, but it may be green at AK. Ask at the parking lot ticket booth to be sure what line to follow.:mickey:

ElenitaB
12-22-2009, 01:13 AM
I would suggest taking the bus from your resort to the parks but to drive to DTD.

At both Epcot and AK, the handicapped parking area is rather large and you can end up with quite the little trek to the entrance. The trams did not stop there when we went (they may have changed this practice though), but even if they did, there was no way to get my mom onto the tram in the wheelchair. At the MK, you will still have to take the ferry or the monorail to get to the park, while the bus drops you off near the gate.

Mickey'sGirl
12-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I would suggest taking the bus from your resort to the parks but to drive to DTD.

At both Epcot and AK, the handicapped parking area is rather large and you can end up with quite the little trek to the entrance. The trams did not stop there when we went (they may have changed this practice though), but even if they did, there was no way to get my mom onto the tram in the wheelchair. At the MK, you will still have to take the ferry or the monorail to get to the park, while the bus drops you off near the gate.
I agree with Ellen -- but I would also drive to the Studios. The parking lot is small, and the handicapped parking is close to the front. Pushing your husband in his chair along to the "walking" entrance is an extremely efficient way to go. We rarely take the tram at the Studios, and choose to walk because of how easy it is. It is less congested, and closer to the entranceway than the bus drop off entrance.

Renfairwedding
01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
This year I decided to stay away from the bus system. We found great parking at all the parks and it was a lot faster to load and unload my chair. I also avoided all the great happy comments and happy looks from the other riders. The only park we had problem was MK so go early.

bbopper
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
My husband doesn't have his own wheelchair...yet. He gets very winded walking distances though, that is why we are considering renting a wheelchair while there. I guess I'm just wondering how close the parking is to where we'd go to rent a wheelchair vs. how far the bus drop off is to renting the wheelchair. A second thought I just had too, can you rent a wheelchair for your entire stay there instead of just at each park?

Hammer
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Regarding renting a wheelchair for your entire stay, there are many companies in the area where you can rent a wheelchair or ECV and they will deliver it to you resort. A quick google search should provide you with a starting point.

Regarding the price of parking, theme park parking is free if you are staying on site. Also, if you are staying at a resort which offers valet parking, valet parking was complementary when I took my Mom (who uses a wheelchair and has a handicap tag).

peemagg
01-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure if you are driving to Disney or flying and renting a car, but if you are flying you may want to rent a wheelchair from a medical supply at home and take it with you. This way you also have it for the airports.

PETE FROM NYC
01-08-2010, 01:22 PM
On our trip in March 07, we used handicapped lots.If you have difficulty walking far as I do,the lots are too long a walk. That can be murder during a downpour.
Our trip this past September, I rented an ECV from an outside vendor and we relied with WDW buses. Thats what we will be doing on all future trips.
By far , my worst experience was at Universal, where the walk from the handicapped lot to their ECV rental is around 0.25 miles, it almost killed me.

dlpmikki
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
The disabled parking lots have a small supply of wheelchairs that you can use to get to the main gates where you can rent one. You can rent for the whole stay (it does work out cheaper) and then you show your chitty in each park and get the chair.

I wouldn't drive to MK for the reasons already stated - you still have another journey to make after you park. I would always drive to AK and often to Epcot. Studios parking is really convenient but a bit difficult to get to the first time as you go where the buses do. It is also a small lot. If in any doubt the buses are probably better for that one.

MaxPower
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Of the four theme parks, the one with the disability parking closest to the entrance is Disney's Hollywood Studios