PDA

View Full Version : So What's Going on By Coronado Springs?

DVC2004
12-20-2009, 05:52 PM
We were at WDW this past week and one of the bus drivers began spouting off about something going on behind Coronado Springs. There was a big crane over there. He was hinting at something "major" being built but said if it happens "it would be bigger in size than Epcot". He said it was not DVC and several people asked if it was another theme park or would there be an "admission charge" and he wouldn't say. Just wait and see he said. Anyone know anything about this or was he telling a tall tale?

Melanie
12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Isn't that the Four Seasons?

Ian
12-20-2009, 06:58 PM
No, I don't think so ... Four Seasons (I think) is going in all the way over on the other side of the resort near Ft. Wilderness right?

Melanie
12-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm really not sure, just trying to think what big project is going on. :shrug:

Oh, wait, is it that shopping/dining area that was announced years ago but contruction stalled? I can't even recall what that project was called. :scratch:

JPL
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
It could be the prep for Flamingo Crossing which I believe is the name of the project Melanears is referring to

Buttercup
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
I have no clue, but wasn't there a rumor a while ago that the current (empty) Pleasure Island will become more like the rest of Downtown Disney (shops and restaurants), and then they'll be building a new separate "adult" area with bars and dance clubs. Could it be that?

GrumpyFan
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Flamingo Crossing is about a mile and-a-half west of Coronado Springs, and the last I heard nothing is happening over there. They've not sold or leased any of the properties yet. Closer than that are backstage facilities and the nurseries. If I had to guess, I would say this is probably just some work going on at the facilities buildings and the bus driver was just trying to start some rumors.

Ian
12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
History tells us that Disney very, very rarely starts construction or building on anything significant without rumors leaking out or even an official announcement.

I'm sure it's some backstage work or work on one of the existing projects already mentioned.

diz_girl
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
You are right about Flamingo Crossings being the only major project in the vicinity to Coronado Springs. In the Orlando Sentinel last month there was news of Disney starting to finish up initial improvements for the Flamingo Crossings project. So it appears that they have built the entrance at Western Way, the road network, which includes utility lines, signs and palm trees. Those activities might need a (small) crane. But nothing else has been done on the land, since they have had no buyers as a result of the tanking Florida real estate sector.

joelkfla
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Flamingo Crossing is about a mile and-a-half west of Coronado Springs, and the last I heard nothing is happening over there.
They have been putting the finishing touches on ground work at Flamingo Crossing over the past month or so, including planting of many large palm & deciduous trees. The crane may have been for the tree planting.

They've also paved and reopened the road north thru the development, which used to be dirt for the first mile or so. You can drive thru it, but there's nothing to see except curbs, trees, and a few fancy fences. And if you go north on the road, you can't get on 429 northbound (unless you drive quite a ways); the next interchange north of Western Way is a northbound exit and southbound entrance only.

joelkfla
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
No, I don't think so ... Four Seasons (I think) is going in all the way over on the other side of the resort near Ft. Wilderness right?
Yes, it is east of Ft. Wilderness, and north of PO Riverside. They have just about completed work on the entrance at the north end of Bonnet Creek Blvd. (the road that goes past PO FQ & Riverside.)