PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at ASM's

crmark1
12-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I know that WDW has started smoking areas at all the resorts now like at the parks. My question is can you still smoke at the outdoor bar at ASM's

TheRustyScupper
12-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, in the area, but we saw no one able to smoke sitting AT the bar.

crmark1
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Thats too bad. The last time we stayed at ASM's after a haed day in the parks I would have a seat at the bar and have a drink. I met several people from around the world. I like to have a smoke when I drink though, and its harder to meet people sitting at a table. I know a lot people dont like smoking, but banning smoking in an outside area doesnt make since to me. I understand the policy in the parks because the are so crowded.

NotaGeek
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Banning smoking in any outside area where non-smokers are forced to share air with smokers makes perfect sense to non-smokers. Having been a smoker in the past, there is nothing worse than having to deal with 2nd hand smoke.

I am sure that this position won't be popular with smokers, and you are free to exercise your right to smoke, I personally feel that as you exercise your rights, you don't have the right to pollute the air around other people.

Seasonscraps
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I see why they don't allow people sitting & smoking at the bar - the bartenders and other patrons that are just sitting there shouldn't have to deal with 2nd hand smoke. I guess since out door places in my area still didn't allow smoking except in designated areas, I wasn't surprised by this.

You could always sit at the bar for chatting and excuse yourself for a smoke. I have done that lots of times at the pool bars. It's not exactly the same as sitting at the bar the whole time but it's the world we live in now.

Patricia
12-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes, you will have to excuse yourself to go to a designated smoking area. There is usually one close to the pool bar areas.

I guess it's no longer unusual for those of us living in areas where this has been the case for years now. I'm always surprised when I find out someone I know smokes, because you never see them doing it.

lighteningqueen
12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
We just returned from a 10 day trip to the world. I have never been so exposed to smoke in my life. Outdoors doe not mean we do not smell it. It is just as bad when someone blows it in your face. I saw people smoking while walking in the parks all parks. Smoking in line at BTMR. Can you believe this and everyone was looking for the smoker to strangle he or she. Disney is going to have to police this matter it is a family park and we should not be or have to be exposed to it. At the place where you get the Dole whips is a smoking area right across from the order line. Not 20 feet away and it was disgusting to stand there in line so we left. I know you have a right people but please for the sake of all the children out there in the parks do not just step off to the side of a walkway and light up... Dont blast me I was a past smoker of maybe 6 a day but now I wish I had known you cannot hide the smell no matter what.I apologize to all the people 25 years ago for me doing this at all..And my clothes had to smell even with 6 a day. This is my HO

pamickeys
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
don't take it out on us smokers for where we are told to smoke. lambaste the stupid imagineers that decided that this was a good place to stick a smoking area in. we have no problem moving off the beaten path to smoke, that way we don't have to endure the condescending stares from all the "other" patrons, since your trip is much more important than our's

BMan62
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
pamickeys...there is no need to get nasty about this...the comments were not made at smokers, but rather at the placement of the smoking area.

Our trip is no more important than yours, as an ex-smoke of 30 years (quit 10 years ago,) I fully understand your need, and right, to smoke. The problem is that, unlike you, there are a lot of less respectful smokers in the parks and at the resorts.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Woah now, I agree, the smokers who are smoking in designated areas are not at fault but it is poor planning in deciding the location if it is too close to a restaurant.

I am a former smoker who visited the parks once while still a smoker. I never felt put out by smoking in the designated areas or felt that everyone's else vacation was more important than mine. As a mother of a child with asthma, I was grateful that my child could enjoy a vacation without having to worry about whether he could even breathe or not. Smoking was my choice, not others so I did not mind a little inconvenience in having to move off the main path.:twocents:

pamickeys
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
what I'm saying is look at the places they have put us
-Intl Gateway, everyone coming into or out of the park MUST WALK PAST ,talk about stares
- the fountain in Italy, prime picture spot, great idea
-British Invasion,great off the beaten path place..removed it
-MK raceway, all the parents want to watch their kids..have to stand in a smoking area
I could go on, and on but you get the drift, it's not our fault that the imagineers got their job right out of high school

Seasonscraps
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
-Intl Gateway, everyone coming into or out of the park MUST WALK PAST ,talk about stares
-MK raceway, all the parents want to watch their kids..have to stand in a smoking area
I could go on, and on but you get the drift, it's not our fault that the imagineers got their job right out of high school

I agree with this. Even at the resorts the smoking areas were right out side the door in some places. That makes no sense at all.

BMan62
12-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Agreed. These are terrible places to put smoking areas, as is right outside the entrance, from the rooms areas, to Pop Century. As you say, Imagineering has dropped the ball on positioning these areas.

I don't know if there is a GOOD answer, but there certainly should be a better answer than what is there now. Maybe themed open pavilions with exhaust fans to draw the smoke up and above the visitors?

mom2morgan
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I was also disappointed at POR that there was a smoking area RIGHT beside the quiet pool. We only got to swim for about 5 minutes and then had to get out and leave :-( That, and then the neighbour who kept going out for evening smokes on the walkway directly outside of our room and then all the people leaving cigarette butts all over the paths. The first was poor design - the other two are just people being rude and ignorant.

Lakin
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I agree with this. Even at the resorts the smoking areas were right out side the door in some places. That makes no sense at all.

POFQ - the fountain in front of building 3. Sure, ruin the scenery of the gorgeous fountain with smoke...

Hammer
12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
As someone who travels with a smoker, I agree that many of the smoking places are poorly placed at the parks and the resorts. Many of the out of the way smoking areas were removed and many were replaced with smoking areas in walking paths. The smokers were not the ones, however, who placed the smoking areas. It really bothers me when people feel the need to say something to people smoking in the designated area.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree! I hate smoke, bothers my allergies something horrible, but if the smokers are in the designated smoking spots, there isn't much I can say to them, it isn't their fault that that Disney put the smoking locations in silly spots!

I wouldn't have thought this would have been so difficult, there are many out of the way (but not really too much out of the way) places that they could have been placed. Too bad Disney sets this up to be a problem :confused:

disneykid@hrt
12-21-2009, 11:56 PM
On our last trip somebody had the nerve to smoke in the women's bathroom. I mean it's rude enough to smoke out of the designated area OUTDOORS, but indoors? Seriously? So we're basically hostage to your smoke if we need to go potty!? I was :mad::thedolls::mad: !

crmark1
12-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I didnt know I was asking a question that would stir up so much emotion! Non-smokers should be glad they live now, in a time when there are designated smoking areas and non smoking areas. 30 years ago you would have had to share an airplane with smokers,and smokers could lite up anywhere in WDW. So the next time you want to glare at a smoker because you dont like where the smoking area is located, remember it could be worse.

Patricia
12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I think this question has been answered. :)

NotaGeek
12-23-2009, 01:26 AM
I didnt know I was asking a question that would stir up so much emotion! Non-smokers should be glad they live now, in a time when there are designated smoking areas and non smoking areas. 30 years ago you would have had to share an airplane with smokers,and smokers could lite up anywhere in WDW. So the next time you want to glare at a smoker because you dont like where the smoking area is located, remember it could be worse.
30 years ago it wasn't widely known that smoking can cause death. To say non-smokers should count their blessings that designated smoking areas exist seems very strange ... its more likely that smokers should be thankful for these areas, because with the number of states that have made it illegal to smoke in most public places it's only a matter of time until all public places are off-limits. Take Santa Monica, CA for instance where its illegal to smoke in almost any public area, regardless of its indoor or outdoor -- even bus stops, ATM machines, the beach, parks ... no smoking, period.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with people smoking in smoking areas -- I have friends that smoke, and all of them are incredibly considerate of non-smokers.

I agree that Disney's very strange placement of smoking areas makes it difficult to prevent smoke from irritating non-smokers ... but at least I know where the smoking areas are for the most part ... and I can avoid them. It's impossible to avoid that random smoker that is puffing away in the middle of a random walkway.

crmark1
12-23-2009, 02:40 AM
For the record. I have never, and would never, smoke outside of the smoking areas. I understand that if I were walking with a lit smoke and holding it down by my side it would be the exact height of a kids face, and an accident could happen very quickly. I get just as, if not more, angry than a non smoker when I see someone smoking outside the smoking areas. To me Disney should enforce this better. If I understand correctly you can be asked to leave the parks if you are caught jumping line. The same should apply to smoking outside the smoking areas.

Hammer
12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
As I have said before, it is the job of the resort CMs to make sure people are smoking in the designated areas at the respective resort. If you find someone who is smoking outside a designated area, please find a CM and have them speak to the person, as they are the people who have the authority to do something about it.

The one thing I've noticed is the registration CMs no longer make an effort to point out smoking areas when people check in. They used to do that and I think it helped to make people more aware. Yes, it is in the oodles of documentation that you get at check in, but I'm sure many people don't read all the documentation.