PDA

View Full Version : Driving Directions to the Contemporary

Goofy4TheWorld
12-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I am looking to pin down driving directions to the Contemporary. I plan on using the SR429 toll road to enter Disney World (I can't stand Orlando traffic.) Google maps tries to get me to come into the Contemporary directly from the north by taking several VERY small local roads that I don't think that I want to take.

I have tinkered with Google maps and come up with my own preferred route, but it does kind of drive me too far South then comes back North to the Contemporary on World Drive. I would like any feedback from someone who knows more than me whether this is the best route to take.

- Exit the Florida Turnpike onto SR429 (Western Expressway) for 14.4 miles
- Exit SR429 at exit 8 and veer left toward "Disney World", then...
- Merge onto "Western Way" for 3.0 miles
- Turn left onto "Buena Vista Dr" for 0.8 miles
- Turn left onto ramp toward Magic Kingdom for 0.4 miles, then...
- Merge onto "World Drive" for 1.6 miles, then after the gate...
- Continue straight on "World Drive" for another 1.7 miles, arrive at the Contemporary

Does this sound like the best way to enter?

Strmchsr
12-20-2009, 03:13 PM
That's the only way that I would know. My Garmin gave those same directions you just wrote.

Fangorn
12-20-2009, 04:58 PM
From 429 that is the best way. Pretty much just follow the signs for Magic Kingdom. Get in the right-hand lane when you go through the Magic Kingdom parking plaza and tell the attendant you're headed to the Contemporary. They'll direct you to keep to the right, bypassing the parking lot. This is still World Drive. There will be signs, but if you stay on World Drive, you can't miss it.

Steve
:mickey:

Disneyfun
12-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Not knowing where you are coming from, I really don't know how to answer the question. The route that you have suggested would work. If you are coming from the north on 429, then the exit to Western Expressway, to County rd 545, to Porter Rd, to Lake Hancock, to Reams, to Center Dr, to World Dr might be a little quicker. They are small back roads, but should be realtively empty - and - they will take you right past the cast parking lot and employee training center behind Toontown and near the Monorail hub. You can also see areas of orange groves just like what MK was built on!

joelkfla
12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
That is the best way without taking the local roads and cutting thru backstage.

There is nothing to stop anyone from coming in thru the backstage North Service Area, except a small sign saying access is restricted to employees and "invited guests." But you might miss the entrance if you're not familiar with it, or find yourself driving around the cast parking lot. And as for time, if it is quicker, the difference is probably less than 5 minutes.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I want to come in through any back roads because 1) it's easier to get lost with no purple Disney signs directing the way, and more importantly, 2) I want to be able to drive underneath a Disney "Welcome Sign", and I am sure the back way in won't have one :blush:

So 429, Western Way, Buena Vista Dr, World Dr, Contemporary it is!!

Thanks again.