PDA

View Full Version : Week #15 Good, Bad, & Ugly

indytraveler
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I figured since my team played last night I get to start this one....

The Colts!!

The Great: 14 - 0 !!! Offense in the first half, same first half as last Sunday vs. Denver. 3 TD's and Peyton completing everything. 7th 4th quarter comeback win of the SEASON!!

The Good: Signs of a running game. Running it inside the tackles. Not bad for a finese team. Defense making plays when it had to. Peyton calling a quick play on their first possession to ensure Jacksonville couldn't challenge spot on that 3rd down play. Questionable?

The Bad: Only 3 possessions in the first half. Are you kidding me. Defense stop someone on 3rd down. I guess with #18 on your side this actually is good as long they are scoring TD's.

The Ugly: Defense not being able to get off the field. Dallas Clark looking scared as he deflected the pass off his fingers. Someone say alligator arms. Everyone of Peyton's last 9 picks have been balls his receivers have missed or deflected into the defense's hands. (well almost everyone).

Observations: Last week I said that I thought the Colts would shut it down, but I was glad to see them get rest for some guys but still bring the energy to PLAY TO WIN the game. With 10 days off before they play the Jets at home I'm thinking more rest can be had by guys. I'm hoping they bring it against the Jets and if you rest anyone make sure the game is in hand. Try to get to 15-0 and have a shot at history. Last time they were here they folded up the tents and went one and done in the playoffs.

Go Colts

#1donaldfan
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
The Steelers Won, the Steelers Won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won. the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won, the Steelers won......did mention that the Steelers Won !!!:party:

Greenlawler
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Titans

The Good: A win is a win. Attempted to give it away after the Bullock injury. Vince looks good again.

The Bad: Keith Bullock's injury is going to hurt. Ravens and Steelers win...typical Ravens, always the thorn in our side.

The Ugly: Jeff Fisher's decision making. 4th and 1 with an opprotunity to put the game away at the opponents 45 and we punt? I knew the Phins would come back as soon as they made that decision. Dolphins with the ball at their own 2 with 50 seconds left and we use zero time outs? Play calling in the red zone? The coach almost cost the team a win today.

Pagan
12-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Dolphins

Good: Showed grit in coming back from a huge deficit. Held Johnson to 3.6 yards a carry. Once again, Ricky is a beast.

Bad: Henne made some poor throws. Once again the secondary is porous. We need DBs next year....bad.

Ugly: The quick whistle on the Johnson fumble in overtime and the ridiculous personal foul call on the interception.

Great game to watch though.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
12-21-2009, 02:42 PM
The Good: Aaron Rodgers is continuing to show he is an elite qb in this league (Brent, who?)

The Bad: Prevent Defense

The Ugly: Good game to watch, really tough loss. DD14 can kick a 34 yard fieldgoal.

Bonus: Vikings lost again, and Brent is showing is December swoon again.

(I do realize it is Brett...)

Greenlawler
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Dolphins

Good: Showed grit in coming back from a huge deficit. Held Johnson to 3.6 yards a carry. Once again, Ricky is a beast.

Bad: Henne made some poor throws. Once again the secondary is porous. We need DBs next year....bad.

Ugly: The quick whistle on the Johnson fumble in overtime and the ridiculous personal foul call on the interception.

Great game to watch though.

Ricky may be a beast but he was bested, 80 yards... whew that guy is unstopable ;)

"Quick whistle on the Johnson fumble" Are you kidding me? Come on Pagan I have always respected you as an a fair minded intelligent observer but your showing your "homeridus" here. I am watching the play again right now. I tivo all the games and watch them three or four times...sick huh?

This is what happened:

Johnson approaches the 28 and he is stopped by three Phins at 12:14 to go in quarter. The whistle had nothing to do with it at all! The whistle blows at 12:10 on the clock after Johnson is forced back past the 29. At 12:08 after two more officials blow their whistles the Titans in the scrum let go and Johnson heads for the ground at the 30 yard line. The Dolphin defenders continue to tackle and one attempts to strip the ball. At this point the clock reads 12:06 a full four seconds after the first whistle. By replay it is not clear when he hits the ground, it looks like his knees are both on the ground when 98 makes a stripping motion and then runs out with the ball.
First of all it is obvious that Johnson and the Titan blockers heard the whistle thus giving up on the play. This made it easy for the Phins to strip the ball after the fact.
Second the whistle was NOT early. Even if you thought it was, the mythical fumble happened at 12:06 a full 4 seconds after the whistle. It is certain another whistle would have stopped the play before that. Johnson's forward progress was stopped, there is no room for argument. None of the press (who love negativity) here have even mentioned this play. Non Issue, again.
Third, In fact during the entire game this was one of many scrums that went on too long for the most part. The refs were waiting far to long to blow the whistle. I knew someone was going to get hurt in those scrums that the refs seemed to allow every play.
Neither Enberg or Fouts even questioned the call, nor did I until I saw your comment.

If you want to bellyache about the refs, I though perhaps Washington got away with an offensive pass interference on his touchdown.

Your right the personal foul was a little much but when saw it, I was sure it was going to be called, I mean you just have to be smarter than that, just like the ridiculous "horsecollar" call on Bullock. When a guy gives himself up like that and you make contact rather than just touching him that is going to be called 95% of the time. Not saying I like it, just the way it is.

By the way I have not noticed any change in your sig.

Ian
12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
The Good: Clinched a playoff berth. It's hard to understand unless you're an Eagles fan, but I considered this a pretty big win for us. This was a game where the Eagles would typically lay down and end up on the short end of the stick. They were coming off a huge emotional win against a division rival ... a week when they took over first place in the NFC East ... and they were coming home to play an inferior team.

The Bad: Andy Reid's decision making. Going for it on 4th and 1 from your own 29 yard line???? Also, I'm still not in love with our defense. We need a better pass rush and I worry about our ability to cover good tight ends (although we did shut down arguably the best TE in the league in Vernon Davis).

The Ugly: Dallas beating New Orleans. I was really counting on the Saints to put us two games ahead in the division. Now I actually have to sweat the Cowboys a little bit after I had written them off for dead.

Pagan
12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Ricky may be a beast but he was bested, 80 yards... whew that guy is unstopable ;)
After watching the replays again you're right on the fumble.

As for the Ricky comment. Um....Ricky: 19 carries for 80 yards. 4.2 per carry.

Since Johnson got only 24 more yards on TEN more carries and averaged 3.6 yards per carry, I wouldn't be so quick taking pot shots at Ricky. ;) :razz:

And my sig is changed.

Greenlawler
12-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Pagan,
You are a man of your word, I respect that and therefore release you of any debt. Feel free to remove the sig!

Your right on Ricky he did look good, I just like to stir the pot.

Good luck to your Phins, if we do not make it in, I truly hope you guys do.

Oh as for the personal foul there was disscuission on that today. Apparently if any player slides feet first no one may touch him. I did not know that. I always that it only applied to the quaterback. Still a little weak though.

I think we loose to Chargers now that Bullock is out.

Down with the Ravens and please somebody beat the Colts!

Pagan
12-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh as for the personal foul there was disscuission on that today. Apparently if any player slides feet first no one may touch him. I did not know that. I always that it only applied to the quaterback. Still a little weak though.
Wow...that rule is insane. No one can touch him...however he could still get up and run?

They need to change that one.

Good luck to your Titans bro.

Ian
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow...that rule is insane. No one can touch him...however he could still get up and run?No, the slide is a "give up" play. And it only applies to the QB ... he can slide and he's down from where he starts his slide. After that, no player can touch him but he also can't get up and run again.

gueli
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
The Good: Not the jets. Still playing awesome d but our qb needs some seasoning (maybee some bbq sauce)...

The Bad: Our D makes it tough on anyone, but still they cannot and will not be the best until they stop late drives that result in points for the other team. Coaching decisions on special teams left at LEAST 3 points on the ground and not the scoreboard.

The Ugly: Nah I will just do the other bad.
the bad (part deux): Only 1 undefeated team left. and we play them.

there are only 2 chances to stop the colts from going undefeated the last 2 games and one of them is THE JETS

Go JETS
:number1:

ps (we aint gonna do it, but I hope we do- if not lets play tough, very tough D)
:beer:

Pagan
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm amazed that the line is the Colts only giving 6 at home.

Nothing against your Jets bro, but I'll take that bet.

Greenlawler
12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
No, the slide is a "give up" play. And it only applies to the QB ... he can slide and he's down from where he starts his slide. After that, no player can touch him but he also can't get up and run again.

Not according to the NFL official who was on the radio yesterday. The slider can be a player at any position.

gueli
12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm amazed that the line is the Colts only giving 6 at home.

Nothing against your Jets bro, but I'll take that bet.

I agree.
Nothing against the jets but how are they going to score ?
our d is solid, but I doubt we will keep payton to less than 14.

Ian
12-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Not according to the NFL official who was on the radio yesterday. The slider can be a player at any position.If that's the current rule it's been modified recently, because I know for a fact it used to only apply to QB's.

In fact, if you Google "slide rule in the NFL" I only see references to the "QB slide rule." There's no mention of it applying to other players.

I think, once again, we may have an NFL official who doesn't know the rules of his own game.