PDA

View Full Version : Sam's First Disney Experience - Final Thoughts

faline
12-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Trip – December 4 – 9, 2009

This trip was unplanned but we decided to splurge and go along with my brother and his family for my 2-year old nephew’s first Disney World visit.

Transportation: We flew to Disney World on Southwest and did utilize the Early Bird system of paying extra for preferred boarding. This worked well for us and relieved the stress of getting on-line exactly 24 hours in advance in the hopes that you get a good seating number. I’ve never been a fan of Southwest’s boarding system. However, with all the fees that have been added by most airlines, this is still a good bargain compared with spending an extra $30 (or more) for one additional checked bag. Size of family may be an impact here. For example, the $10 per person charged by Southwest (sort of a disappointment – and a mixed message - from a company that seems to give the message that they eschew the nickel and diming tactics of most airlines) is okay for us (party of 2) but might not work well for a larger family. Larger families (particularly those with smaller children and tinier clothes may do better with an airline that provides assigned seating but charges for a second checked bag. I didn’t price that out but would wonder?

Our flight to Orlando arrived late. Our flight home arrived early. Would have preferred the other way around but such is the way things works.

Magical Express – We’ve used this from time to time. I’d prefer using a limo service like Quicksilver but we were trying to budget, where possible. It worked fine. We got to our resort; we got back to the airport. It’s not the quickest or most comfortable way to get to and from the airport but it doesn’t cost extra.

Transportation from Resort – We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge so the only transportation from this site is via bus. We’ve stayed here before and found the transportation system to be quite good. However, this is the first time we’ve stayed here since Kidani Village opened. What we found is that all park buses stop first at Kidani Village and then at Jambo House. What this means is that the bus is often quite full in the mornings before it arrives at Jambo House. In fact, we had to stand on our way to the parks the first morning we were there because the bus was already full before arriving at Jambo House. On the way back from the parks in the evening, it means a longer trip home as your bypass Jambo House and head directly to Kidani Village first. Only once did we board a bus at park closing that went first to Jambo House. Wouldn’t it be more fair if the buses for two of the parks went first to Jambo House rather than the other way around?

Other Disney Transportation – We used monorail and boat transportation. No problems with either.

Accommodations – We’ve stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge several times. On one occasion, we had a pool view instead of a Savannah view. Every other trip was for a Savannah view room including this trip. In the past, we were always in a room that was off the right-hand side of the lobby (as you enter from the front door). On this trip, we were up a floor (4th) and off the left-hand side of the lobby. This was a very disappointing location and I would strongly request a different location if I was assigned to this area in the future. Our “Savannah” view consisted largely of a clump of trees, ringed on three sides by the building. For most of our stay, the “Savannah” was totally devoid of animals. Generally, every morning, there were no animals. Generally, every evening there were no animals. At night, we generally had one eland hanging around. A few times, we saw a couple of crowned cranes and it was hard to see them as the view of them was generally obscured by the trees. On one occasion, we saw an Ankole Cattle. Returning to the room in the mid-afternoon, we once again found an empty “Savannah”. This is certainly not what I’ve experienced in the past and it left me feeling that I had received very little value for the extra money spent on a “Savannah” view room!

The interior or the room was fine. I did notice that the running of showers in other rooms was easily heard in our room. The bed was comfortable but not what we wanted. We had requested a king bed and we got a room with two queens so that was an adjustment for us.

Parks – This was only a five night trip and we landed very late the first night. Still, we managed to visit each park at least once. We knew, going in, that we would be touring the parks from the perspective of a 2-year old. We did not expect we would cover all the ground we usually do and we did not. Still, we were able to squeeze in a number of “adult” rides such as Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Dinosaur, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and Expedition: Everest. It was great fun to experience other rides through the eyes of a 2 year old and I found myself paying more attention to Sam’s ride or show experience than to the ride or show itself.

Food – No one meal stands out for me on this trip as our favorite or absolutely wonderful dining experience. We had some good food and we had some mediocre food. We had some excellent service – some service that was less so. The dining plan worked well for this trip. I guess our favorite meals this trip would have been the character meals we had at Chef Mickey’s (a first for us) and Crystal Palace. Sam’s experience is the real reason these were our favorite. He loved the characters and it was great fun to watch him interacting with them.

Health – I simply did not feel well on this trip. I think I was experiencing some sort of “bug” which began on the plane on the way to Disney and lingered throughout my time there. I did not feel well on the plane down. I did not sleep well any night I was there. I felt lethargic and draggy while at Disney. Food didn’t always seem to settle well (which may also have affected my evaluation of our dining during this trip). I think the tenor of my trip reports was more negative than I generally would write – largely as a result of not feeling really well. Additionally, my sense of the food may also have been colored by how I was feeling.

Budget/Expenses – For us, this really was sort of a budget trip. We did not buy any additional park tickets for the trip (other than the one-day ticket that came with our package and admission to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party). We had an unused one-day ticket from our August trip (free dining package); a one-day ticket with our current trip (free dining package) and three days from a 10-day no-expiration trip we bought about four years ago. We bought one item on our trip. Someone in my office asked me to buy a key chain. That was our one and only purchase.

Holidays – The tree at Animal Kingdom Lodge was lovely. I had read another trip report in which the poster reported on park trees not being totally lit. Unfortunately, we experienced this. The tree in Epcot had a large dark spot and the tree in Disney Studios seemed oddly decorated. We did not get to experience as much as the holiday doings as we would like. We did manage to see the Osborne Lights which was a real bonus for us. They were wonderful! Wish I were there now! We also attended Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. Unfortunately, I was pretty wiped out that night so didn’t get as much into the spirit of the party as I would have liked. The fireworks were wonderful and the highlight of my evening there! The parade was very good as well and, I think I would have enjoyed it much more and would have stayed for the second parade as I usually do had I been feeling better.

Orlando Airport – For all of you who complain about how early Magical Express picks you up – stop complaining and get there as early as you can – you might need the time! We arrived at the airport to find a mob of people trying to get through security. I’ve been in many airports and have never experienced the masses I’ve see at Orlando airport! Despite the chaos, I must say all the TSA agents remained pleasant and professional. Kudos to those folks for the hard work they do under very difficult circumstances!

Sam’s First Trip – I feel so privileged to have been part of my nephew’s first visit to Disney World. As a rather shy boy, he has often been slow to warm up to our presence though that has improved as he has gotten older. On this trip, we were greeted right from the beginning with big “hi”s and wide grins! He willingly left his parents and came with us on the evening his folks went out for dinner. He never cried or complained while they were gone though he did ask for them several times. On some occasions, in the presence of his parents, he allowed one or the other of us to carry him or take him for a bit of a walk a little distance from his folks or held our hand to walk along. I truly understand how over-stimulating, overwhelming, and huge Disney World is to little kids. Overall, Sam did very well though he certainly had his moments. Every 2 year old has his “moments”! I’m left with many wonderful memories and lots of lovely 2-year old smiles! Who could ask for more?

pdrlkr
12-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the Great Reports! :smickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Linda!
I'm most amazed that your only purchase during this whole trip was a keychain for someone else no less!! Hahaha! I have to learn how to pull that off!
I enjoyed reading about your days, and I think not feeling well made a big difference in the quality of your trip. Luckily for you, this was a bonus trip, and not your one and only this year. Sounds like it was extra special sharing it with Sam! Thanks for the report!

KylesMom
12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Linda, I've really enjoyed your trip reports with Sam. It's quite a change from you & Gene's usual exploits, and it brought me back to when Kyle was a 2-year old experiencing Disney for the first time. :blush: Thanks for taking the time to share each moment with us!!! :mickey:

DisneyBarb
12-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the great reports! I hope your next trip you are feeling better..any plans on the horizon?? :secret:

How wonderful to see it through a 2 year olds eyes..

We do not do Southwest because its quicker for us to go in to Boston.. We personally love JetBlue and they do not charge for the 1st checked bag.. hope this helps you for future trips!

Thank you for taking us along your trip!

DisneyorBust
12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Enjoyed your reports. I did not find them negative at all! Hope your health is better now.

faline
12-20-2009, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyBarb;1994924]Tany plans on the horizon?? :secret:[QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words!

Actually, we've booked a trip for the two of us for May! It was booked before we even left on the trip with Sam as we were lucky enough to get a pin code!

vizsla
12-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the reports.

magicofdisney
12-23-2009, 06:20 AM
I always loved Disney while growing up, but it was seeing it through the eyes of my children that released the magic for me. :mickey:

DizNee143
12-23-2009, 08:31 AM
thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!
i really enjoyed reading all about it..so glad youw ere able to experience your nephews first disney trip!!
sorry you werent really feeling well your whole trip..but hey its better to not feel good at disney then being at home!! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Great reports Linda. I am glad you had a happy and successful "first trip" with Sam!:mickey: