PDA

View Full Version : Tips for cold weather?

Lightning McQueen
12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
We leave tomorrow! I'm a little worried because we normally go in the summer. Looking at the forecast for next week, it looks to be cold (lows in the 40s).

Are there any general tips for going to WDW in the cold weather?

TIA!!

GBBT
12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
This is the time of year we usually go because of Winter Break.We always pack both Summer and Winter clothes.One day it could be upper 70s,low 80s and 60s at night,then a couple of days later 60s during the day and 30s or 40s at night.If they call for a cooler night,we'll go back to the resort and put on the sweats.:thumbsup: Have fun for us while you're there!!

Ed
12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
In a word - Layers.

The mornings can, indeed, be pretty chilly ~ temps in the upper 30's, low 40's. But at this time of year, it can easily be up in the upper 70's/low 80's by early afternoon.

You might want to consider wearing shorts/T-shirts under sweatpants/shirts that you can shed as it gets warmer. A backpack comes in handy for stashing them.

It's seldom cold enough to require heavy jackets, gloves, etc. at this time of year. Most of our really cold weather (by Florida standards, at least :D ) doesn't arrive until late January/early February, and even then it's relatively rare.

Gator
12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I've been to WDW 3 times during the winter months. When it's ranging 45-65 degrees, it can be a bit chilly when you're spending so much time outside. Usually I'll wear a t-shirt, jeans, and a good sport sweater and that we'll do the trick. It may not keep me completely warm, so I'll pack a long sleeve shirt and then wear the sweater. Anything more than that will be a burden to carry around during the warm hours and will be inconvenient when you hit indoor attractions.

I always look at it like this: I'd rather be cold with just a sweater than to be there when it's hot and there's nothing you can do to make it cooler.

DreamFinder2
12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
We're getting ready to head down on Saturday for a week :cloud9:, and have been keeping a close eye on the temps. A few days ago, it didn't look bad, with forecasted temps in the 70s. Now they're saying mid 60s for most of our trip.

It's not exactly warm, but definitely better than the 21 degrees we have here right now :thumbsup:

We're planning to spend most of the days in shorts with a t-shirt and jacket...usually put dress pants on for evening meals, anyway, so that's taken care of. I hate to take jeans because they're so heavy...it's that many fewer Potato Head parts I can get back on the plane :D.

Strmchsr
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I would definitely recommend, like Ed said, to go with layers. I've been very conservative with my temp forecasts, but it actually could be a little cooler than even what I've been saying. The reason being, we have a large snow pack across much of the country. Because of this the air isn't able to moderate like it normally would. The models don't take the snow pack on the ground into account and can miss temps by as much as 10 degrees. Not saying they'll be off that much next but just to be prepared. Also, it can feel cooler around WDW for the same reason it feels warmer in summer - moisture. Being around that much moisture will make 50 degrees feel cooler than 50 degrees in a dry location. So, just have layers to adjust as needed.

megustamex
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I would still bring a winter coat. We went in January and hit a terrible cold spell - it was a high of 39 one day! We looked to be one of the few people that had winter coats and boy were we glad. We actually wore the works - hats, gloves, and coats. People were scrambling looking for hats and gloves all over the park. Bring the coat - you might need it and you'll be happy if you do. Also do the layers as suggested. And we did finally end up wearing shorts later in the week. That's Florida weather for you! You'll still have fun even if it is cold out.

Lightning McQueen
12-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Layers it is! Thanks everyone. Pray for warm weather!! :mickey:

LoriMistress
12-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Bring two blankets (one to have on the floor or benches when you watch CoP, parades, etc.) and the other to keep you warm. Bring some gloves, and light jacket and a thick jacket.

Pally
12-17-2009, 11:41 AM
My suggestion would be the little hand warmers you can buy. They last 6-8 hours and are comforting when it is cold. They are reasonably priced. I usually buy a case at the first of winter for about 17.00CAN and they last for one year+.:mickey:

lindique
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
The sun goes down quite early right now, and, if there is no cloud cover, the temperature drops around 20 degrees. And, even if it doesn't drop, 50-60 without the sun feels MUCH cooler than during the daytime.

I'm from the North and fairly warm blooded. But I've worn hats, gloves, and a ski jacket on many a winter night at Disney World. It's much better to be prepared than to have to miss the evening parades and fireworks because everyone is cold.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree...take clothes easily layered...short sleeve shirts with hoodie jackets...you can take the jacket off and tie it around your waist if it gets warm...take jeans or athletic pants and comfortable tennis shoes

Disney Doll
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Bring some of everything. I have been in gloves and heavy coats and then last January I was searching WDW for a pair of shorts because it was so hot. You just never know.

scooterca42
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Zip-offs are great! Shorts and pants in one, and if you have two pairs you can wear one and wash one.

Lisaj13
12-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I must say this thread makes me smile. Last week, here in the Great White North, we were the second coldest place on Earth, right after Siberia.

The "cold" temperatures in Florida sound pretty good to me right now!

Enjoy your visit.

mom2morgan
12-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I must say this thread makes me smile. Last week, here in the Great White North, we were the second coldest place on Earth, right after Siberia.

Enjoy your visit.

But ya know, I'm only 80 km south of you so I know cold too, but when we were in Disney last yeat at Christmas I was NOT comfortable. It would have been a decent late spring or early fall day here - but when you are in Disney on water rides, and watching things like Illuminations (with some spray/mist) it was still COLD (brr!). The other thing that caught me off guard and does NOT happen here is that it can be a very warm day but when the sun goes down the temperature drops like a rock. Instantly. So I can see being chilly, even in Florida!

syndrome
12-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Pay attention to the weather once you are there--esp the wind forecast. We were there in Jan of 2005 and it was in the 50s but the winds were bet 20 and 30 mph. That made it very cold!

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
12-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Imagine running a half marathon or a marathon at 5:40 in the morning in it, THEN going to the parks!
:mickey:

TikiLounger
12-31-2009, 05:18 PM
We're arriving on January 3rd and I just checked The Weather Channel's site for the 10day forecast. Looks like it's going to be high 50s in the day and high 30s at night for our entire stay. I'd like it to be a bit warmer, but we're from New England so we can take it. ;) Actually, I'd rather have it cooler than hotter...we were dying from the heat during our one and only trip in July. Never again...

TikiLounger
12-31-2009, 05:19 PM

Enjoy your visit.

I know, right? Temps in the 50s can be a heat wave in New England.

Strmchsr
12-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Looks like it's going to be high 50s in the day and high 30s at night for our entire stay.

That's probably about right. Check the weather forecast in vacation planning forum for details. The only problem is in Florida you get cold rain instead of cold and snow. Give me snow any day!

TikiLounger
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
That's probably about right. Check the weather forecast in vacation planning forum for details. The only problem is in Florida you get cold rain instead of cold and snow. Give me snow any day!

Oh yes...snow is definitely better than cold rain! BTW, we just finished bigging ourselves out of the big pre-holiday blizzard and they're talking about another blast of snow and wind on the morning we leave. Figures...I see crowded airports and hours of crossword puzzles in my near future...

epceddie
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
We'll be at OKW Jan. 6-14 and 60-degree weather sounds great right now. We've already gotten a good amount of snow (including three inches on Thursday) and we're ready for any kind of a break.
Hey TikiLounger, what part of Massachusetts are you from. We live in Taunton. Hope you have a great trip!

LoriMistress
01-02-2010, 01:21 AM
I would dress in layers. I would wear a nice tee shirt over your thermal shirt. I would also suggest bringing a light jacket and a warm jacket. Weather can vary. When DH and I were there in Dec '07 it was 65-70 degrees for the most part. But one day it rained during the day, and another day the entire day and evening it was 30 degrees with 30 degree winds!!! Needless to say, it was freezing.

disneydeb
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
One year we scrambled to find gloves and tobaggans for the kids. Night time parades were COLD! that year anyway...

mom2morgan
01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh yes...snow is definitely better than cold rain! BTW, we just finished bigging ourselves out of the big pre-holiday blizzard and they're talking about another blast of snow and wind on the morning we leave. Figures...I see crowded airports and hours of crossword puzzles in my near future...

Good luck with your travels! I've decided I just can't do Disney in the winter again since we've had HUGE travel problems both times because of snowstorms :-( Fingers crossed your flights go without a hitch!