PDA

View Full Version : I need a really awesome chocolate cake recipe

Cinderelley
12-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Does anyone have a great chocolate cake recipe? We'll be having a retirement party for one of the doctors at work, and I would love to bring in something more than a boxed cake for the party.

CanadianWDWFan
12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
This is one that my DW swears by,

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter (2 sticks/half a pound)
2 cups white sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 3 layer cake pans.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together at a low speed. When blended, increase speed to high, and continue beating until it is light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Reduce speed to medium-low; add eggs, one at a tie, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. The mixture may seem grainy. Scrape down the bowl. Mixer on low, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat at a medium speed until the batter is smooth, occasionally scraping the bowl.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 30 minutes). Cool in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then turn out from the pans to continue cooling.

Ice with your favourite frosting or this one....

Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting

3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbl unsweetened cocoa
1 cup milk
1 cup butter (1 stick or 1/4 pound)
4 squares (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate melted
1 tbl vanilla

In a double boiler, combine sugar, flour and cocoa. With a wire wisk, gradually sitr in milk until it is smooth. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened and boils. Reduce heat to low; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool completely.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy at a medium speed. Gradually beat in milk mixture, melted chocolate and vanilla.

Makes 3 cups of frosting.

Katzateer
12-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I have a sheet cake that is the most wonderful cake-would that kind of cake be one that would work. It is almost a fudgy-type cake when done and is easy to make.

Cinderelley
12-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a sheet cake that is the most wonderful cake-would that kind of cake be one that would work. It is almost a fudgy-type cake when done and is easy to make.

Yes, that would work. Could you give me the recipe?

CanadianWDWFan, that sounds delicious.

I'll give both of them a try. There are more than enough of us to eat two cakes.

Cinderelley
12-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Both of the cakes were delicious. :thumbsup: Thanks you guys!!!

CanadianWDWFan
12-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Glad you enjoyed the cake!

Cinderelley
01-03-2010, 07:56 AM
The doctor wound up mixing the two cakes into one cup and eating both at the same time. It really was quite amusing.