PDA

View Full Version : Please reassure my dining choices.

DunkieKong
12-14-2009, 12:20 AM
My wife and I decided to take a late planned trip to Disney in january and I just booked our meals today. We've got six sit down meals, of which four are places we've never eaten. I'm always down for trying new places, but the wife is a little leary. Please help me convince her I havent steered her wrong. Here's the meals:

The Wave
Sanaa
Kona Cafe
Trails End

Did I make any mistakes?

SBETigg
12-14-2009, 06:54 AM
I've only seen good reviews for Sanaa, but I haven't tried it yet as it is fairly new. The view and atmosphere is said to be wonderful, with good food. I think it's a great choice.

Kona Cafe tends to be one of the more popular and beloved dining spots on the board, but I am not a fan. Still, probably another good choice.

I don't know enough about Trail's End or The Wave.

Joannelet
12-14-2009, 08:37 AM
We ate at Kona last week and it was wonderful!! It is definitely a great choice!!!
I haven't eaten at any of the other ones so I am no help with those. Sorry.

2MuchWDFun
12-14-2009, 09:22 AM
We'll be eating at Sanaa for the first time at the end of this week, so I'll let you know once we get back. We'll be at Kona for breakfast, too...not dinner. Haven't eaten at any of the others.
You'll find something to enjoy at every restaurant (the view, atmosphere, service, food, desserts, entertainment, etc). Go on the Disney Dining website or in the Info section on this site and pull the menus...have your wife check them out to see if she's interested in any of the dishes.
Why is your wife worried? Is she a picky eater? From my experience, Disney is good about having dishes for picky eaters on every menu, even at the more "exotic" restaurants. Just ask your server for suggestions.
For me, Trails End is a little far away to travel to for a buffet...but if you are staying at the Contemporary or WL then it would be convenient to take the boat across to the FW campground area.

Nancy

TinksDH
12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
We've done all of them except Trails End and would recommend them all. The service at Sanaa was a bit slow, but I attribute that to them just opening up a month or two before we got there. The chai custard for dessert (I forget exactly what it was called) is simply awesome!

Kona Cafe is a nice place and we'll go back there again as well. Nice Pan-Asian menu that isn't so Asian that picky eaters will still find something they like.

The Wave was good (I had the lamb shank; it was perfect!) but compared to some of the other restaurants it lacked a little on the theming. It was still nice, and if you don't need all of the WDW theming you'll probably enjoy it.

Tinkermom
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
We have been to 3 out of your 4:

Saana - one of the best meals we have ever had at WDW! The Indian Style Bread Service (appetizer) was amazing - you get to choose from several indian breads and dipping choices (hummus and mango chutney were my favs). DH and I got the wine pairings with our meals. I got the beef short ribs which were fall off the bone tender. Dessert - Chai Cream - HEAVENLY! This restaurant sits right on the savannah and offers wonderful views of the animals while you eat. We had a VERY large bird (stood about 3 1/2 feet tall) who jumped the fence and enjoyed watching US as he was standing with his head up against the glass. People were even going over to the window to take photos with the bird.

Kona Cafe - another awesome choice! Our favorite appetizers are the potstickers and sticky wings. The slow-roasted prime rib is awesome and you cannot beat the Kilauea Torte for dessert. A chocolate cake with ooey gooey chocolate "lava" inside. If you time it right you can head out to the Poly beach after dinner to watch the fireworks over Magic Kingdom.

The Wave - DH and I ate here in October. The service was attentive although our waiter was not overly friendly. We DID receive FREE dessert for each of us since we were celebrating our 20th anniversary!

I loved the butter that was served with the whole grain bread. They sprinkle smoked sea salt on top of the butter - it was so good!

DH and I got the shared appetizer - seared tuna and chicken filled summer rolls and it was so fresh and yummy!

For dinner DH got the lamb shank which he said was awesome and fall off the bone tender. I got the linguini with little neck clams and shrimp in a chunky tomato broth. Again, it was wonderful! The tomato broth was so fresh tasting as well.

Desserts are kinda cool. You get 3 small ramikins filled with your choice of dessert. There are 5 different choices including a sugar-free option. I got the "Decadent Flavors" which was blueberry compote with yogurt gelato, lemon cornbread with vanilla panna cotta and chocolate mousse with salted caramel (YUM!). I really liked getting a taste of 3 different things.

I hope this helped! ENJOY!

Atayah
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I haven't been to Sanaa (though I'd love to)! Nor the wave.

I have been to Trail's End - albeit a few years ago - and we'll be going again this February. I had lunch there then, and we'll be doing the same now. It's a pretty simple, straightforward place - it was pretty empty when we went - but the food was great, and it was so nice just walking through FW & visiting the animals. I'd recommend it.

Kona - Ate here for the first time September 08, and unfortunately, it was the worst meal of the trip - I didn't even eat it - it's very rare for me to put my napkin over a plate and ignore the whole meal! Our waitress didn't even notice (and no, I didn't bring it to her attention, which I was fine with), unfortunately - she was tired & overworked and it showed. My partner didn't love her meal, either, and our dessert was fair to middling. We were very disappointed. HOWEVER, we're giving it the old college try and going for breakfast in February - hopefully it will redeem itself! This is such a consistent favorite on the Intercot boards I like to assume we just made wrong menu choices & got our server on a bad night.

Enjoy yourself, no matter what you decide!

beksy
12-14-2009, 06:47 PM
The only one of these that I've tried is Kona Cafe and it is one of my favorites. I loved the steak with terriyaki and the deserts were out of this world. Service was terrific too. We always try to go here! :mickey:

BMan62
12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Two BIG thumbs up to both Sanaa and The Wave! Ate at both of these in September and the food was delicious! Sanaa has full wall sized windows to look out on the savannah and see the animals wandering about. The Wave is a bit more 'cozy' and very modern, but still a pleasant atmosphere. Service, for us, at both was excellent.

Trails End is a buffet...what more can you say. 'Stick to your ribs' food.

Haven't eaten at Kona as yet.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-15-2009, 11:10 AM
The only one I've eaten at is Kona and we had the best breakfast ever there