PDA

View Full Version : Test Track in the rain

Zawadi
12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Last Thursday (10th Dec) we arrived at EPCOT around 10am and it started to rain as we got off the WDW bus. On went the Disney macs and we were fine.

After getting a FP for Soarin' and doing Mission Space (whimps version) the sky had brightened and we entered the line for Test Track.

After 15 mins of standing in line, it was getting warm and we decided to stow the macs.

All was well until we accelerated to the crash wall....

The doors opened and it was throwing it down :sad: It's nice to occasionally take a shower with your clothes on! As we were going around we heard that the ride had been suspended! We wish it had been announced 30 seconds earlier.

Lesson: If there are showers around assume the worst! :teach:

Touchdown
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Test Track is only 65 mph and you have a windshield so trust me when I say this, its not that bad.

Imagine going 70, even 94 mph with no windshield. Ive done that (Millennium Force @ Cedar Point) in the pouring rain and it hurts a lot.

yjgirl32
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
We were on the ride when it was raining and it hurt a little but as the other poster had said nothing like some of the more extreme roller coasters.

Zawadi
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
The rain didn't hurt, it was just very wet.

The worst rain experience that I've had was the "Pepsi Max Big One" at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, UK. First drop 62 degrees, 205ft reaching 74mph when in December with the temp being in the low 30s.

Touchdown
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I have been on some real deluge rides as well, they are fun in a sadastic way. My most recent one was on the Voyage at Holiday World this fall. The sky litterally opened up and it was pouring, I ended up laughing the whole way. So long as it is:

-relatively warm
-your clothes dry quickly or you have a change nearby
-and its just rain (ie not hail, lightening, etc.)

Those rides just end up being a blast. Sounds like your ride was one of those, youll never forget it :).

Belster
12-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Sounds kind of fun....in a strange way. :mickey:

Gator
12-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Had this happen my last time on. I was by myself - glad I didn't have to hear my wife complain about it the rest of the day.

Stu29573
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
This happened to me on Big Thunder one year. We went into the cave and when we popped out the other side it was POURING! I was video taping at the time and you can tell the screams on the tape have little to do with the intensity of the ride!

JabberJaws
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I've been on a few outdoor roller coasters when it started to pour rain.

Ouch...

GrumpyFan
12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
The first time I ever rode Test Track was in the rain. We were in the queue line waiting and they made several announcements about bad weather in the area and they might have to shut down if it gets too bad. So, we were a little worried about actually riding, but luckily we managed to get on. It had just started to rain as the car left the building, and at first it was cold and stung, so we ducked behind the windshield to avoid it, but then the excitement and adrenaline kicked in and we raised up and lifted our hands, screaming all the way! It was actually pretty fun, even though it did sting a little.

brad192
12-16-2009, 01:41 AM
I have this irrational fear of being on TT during Love Bug season, and having a swarm of them hanging over the track at the high speed portion.

Ewww...:ack:

JabberJaws
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I have this irrational fear of being on TT during Love Bug season, and having a swarm of them hanging over the track at the high speed portion.

Ewww...:ack:

There is absolutely nothing irrational about this fear. I used to work in Mktg for WDW and lived 5 minutes from the parks. The lovebugs were HORRENDOUS in April and Sept.

And an interesting fact about Lovebugs, the swarm to roads b/c they are drawn to the exhaust put off by cars. Thankfully, TT cars are electric, so no exhaust maybe keeps the LBs away!