PDA

View Full Version : Trip at Christmas vs. Thanksgiving

patandtwins
12-13-2009, 12:51 PM
It is a longtime dream of mine to see WDW all done up for Christmas. I think I've convinced my DH to make the trip in 2010. Thanksgiving week works best for us and I know WDW is all decorated by Thanksgiving.....but.....will they do all the same Christmas shows and fireworks and parades and parties that they do at Christmas? What are the differences between Thanksgiving week and Christmas week? Thanks!

Strmchsr
12-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, Thanksgiving week is all decorated. However, the don't have the MVMCP going during Thanksgiving week, the holiday storytellers are not going at Epcot, the Candlelight Processional is not yet going at Epcot and the Osborne Lights have bounced back and forth between starting before and after Thanksgiving. It seems to depend on the year. They do the MVMCP before and after Thanksgiving week, but not the week of. Also, they don't do it Christmas week. I think they do the Christmas parade during the day of Christmas week, but no special party. So, if you want the FULL Christmas experience then Christmas week is better, but it's also more crowded (though not by too much).

patandtwins
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
The MVMCP is one thing I really want to do. I looked up the 2009 dates and they did it 11/20 and 11/29, which we'd miss if we went mon-fri of Thanksgiving week. Then, the last MVMCP is 12/18, so if we went X-mas Eve through New Year's, we'd still miss it. Do I have this right? Oh,man! And is it true that Dining costs extra during the holidays? I saw something about New Year's at the California Grill being $450/person. Really?

Strmchsr
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, you're correct. Now, I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that they do the Christmas parade done during the MVMCP during the day Christmas week. But, yeah, dining costs more and you'd miss the parties and extras. It's just WAY too crowded during that time to shut down the MK early for a limited ticket event. You have to keep in mind, also, that often during the Christmas to New Year's Week the parks (especially MK) are sometimes so crowded that they are closed to any more guests, so you definitely want to be staying on property.

awaggett
12-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I was at the World this past (two weeks ago) Thanksgiving. The storytellers were out doing their thing at EPCOT and the Candlelight Processional was going on Friday night.

I have now been for both Thanksgivng and Christmas--both were great.

swampfox28
12-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Just my two cents, but I'd go the week BEFORE Thanksgiving week or basically any time but those 2 weeks (if that's possible). I realize that it might not be, but if it IS, you'd get the decorations (so pretty!) and WAAAAAAY fewer people.

We were JUST there from Nov. 14 - 22nd and it was totally done up for Christmas. AND there was the Very Merry Christmas Party, too! The ONLY thing that wasn't available was the Candelight Processional; otherwise it was Christmas decorations (including Osborne lights) GALORE! We LOVED it and had an awesome time. The weather was lovely and the crowds were REALLY manageable right up until the 21st which was the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That was the day all the crowds REALLY arrived and ICK. It was SO much busier - it took over an hour just to get on the bus leaving the MK.

If you can, avoid the crowds at all costs. You still get the holiday magic, I promise!

-Sarah:mickey: