PDA

View Full Version : Desserts containing alcohol...

mom2morgan
12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Okay, this is a pretty random question! I noticed when I was at Boma that there was a warning that the Zebra Domes "contain alcohol". I see this for other menus as well (such as the Chocolate Wave at Coral Reef). Does that mean that they will NOT serve those desserts to children? I'm sure the actual alcohol content is very small and only for flavouring, but I don't know if the law applies to food that contains alcohol.

IamBelle
12-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I am under 21 and have had a zebra dome or two...or five, and the waiters didn't say anything. I believe they contain trace amounts for flavor. I have seen little kids with them also. But the last time I went to Boma in August, there was no warning on any of the desserts in Boma about alcohol. So I don't know if they eliminated the alcohol use in those desserts or just lessened it, you might want to ask.

Melanie
12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
But the last time I went to Boma in August, there was no warning on any of the desserts in Boma about alcohol. So I don't know if they eliminated the alcohol use in those desserts or just lessened it, you might want to ask.

I was just there last week and the warning was on the zebra domes.

Mysttree
12-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I am unsure- but I assumed it was more like a warning for those who for personal reasons wish to avoid any alcohol. Tho to my understanding when you use alcohol in any type of cooking more than 90% of the alcohol content cooks off & it is just used for flavoring.
Could be along the same lines as peanut warnings, just trying to cover themselves...who knows maybe there are those who are allergic?

SillySymphony
12-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Perhaps this is in conjunction with certain religious views and those people who abstain based on those views??? I know that our cupboard contains different flavoring extracts and all of them are alcohol-based.... On a possible related note... Can you imagine the signs popping up all over property if they were needed to alert us to "Caloric content designed to blow your diet..." ?

mom2morgan
12-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I am unsure- but I assumed it was more like a warning for those who for personal reasons wish to avoid any alcohol. Tho to my understanding when you use alcohol in any type of cooking more than 90% of the alcohol content cooks off & it is just used for flavoring.
Could be along the same lines as peanut warnings, just trying to cover themselves...who knows maybe there are those who are allergic?

I thought maybe that was it - but I had visions of ordering a Chocolate Wave for my 12 year and being scolded for trying to give her something with alcohol!