PDA

View Full Version : Gueli's Family vacation, tribulations dec 2009 (pt 3)

gueli
12-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Hello,
so I have previously written about the start of our vacation. Monday through Thursday the weather was great. It was reasonably warm in the day, and gently cool at night. Friday was to be a whole other experience.
On friday we woke up to RAIN. Not your typical floriday showers, but a cold steady rain. The weather had turned and it was chilly. None the less, we decided to forge ahead with the days plans.
As many of you know, DW had hurt her leg & we had gotten one of those ECV's for her to get around. The rain would complicate things with the ecv as it is electric. The wife was feeling better, her leg had improved very much. It was decided that the ECV would stay in our room and she would tough it out, providing we walked slowly & gave her chances to take a break.
So early in the morning we headed off to 1900 park faire for breakfast. Now to get there we took the bus to the magic kingdom, than the monorail to the grand floridian. DD was happy to finally be on the mono rail. When we got to the grand floridian, the lobby was packed. There were lots of specialty lighting- and it turns out that they were doing a film shoot for disney's christmas show- the one that will be aired on christmas. As we waited for our seating at park faire- I heard a rumor that Celeione Dion was to perform. I do not know the truth of this, as we were soon seated, and supposidly the show was going to be later that afternoon.
For those of you who have never been to 1900 park faire - let me say the food was a cut above disney's usual. The breakfast buffet was one of the best dinning experiences we had at disney- especially when you consider the three basics- food quality, service & atmosphere. Food Quality was a cut above, the fresh made omlets were cooked to perfection. Our server was disney polite and attentive. The atmosphere was elegant, without you needing to worry about how you were dressed. Also having Mary Poppins & others come around to your table for photo opportunities was great. All in all, DW declared (later) that this was her favorite dinning experience.
After breakfast we headed off to DHS. By the time we were there, the rain was steady & the fast passes had been distributed for Toy Story Mania. DW, not knowing the popularity of this ride had not expected this. We went on a few rides, the muppets, Star tours, the great movie ride, but truth is we were getting soaked, the day was not great and we decided to give up our sci-fi dinning reservation & have dinner back at the hotel. We went home, wrung out our stuff ate and watched disney TV.
Saturday came, the weather started out rough- patches of rain, but by 1 PM the sun was out.
On saturday we went back to the studios in the morning, got our fastpasses for toy story mania, and went to epcot later in the day for a dinning experience at Ashkerhous. This Disney experience was great for phot opprtunities of the princess's, the food was passable (I found their buffet salad bar was good, but I did not like my main meal)- overall an OK experience.
After dinner we went back to DHS- we actually took a cab, as it was getting late and we didn't want to miss toy story mania. To my surprise the park had lots of people going to it. I soon realized that many park goers were there for the OSBORNE Chritmas lights.
Now for the disney magic. Oh thats right I forgot to mention- that morning I called to see if they had anything at sci-fi theatre for lunch- the woman apparently checked for the entire park and came up with nothing, but than I asked her to check mama melroses & to our surprise a 12:30 had popped up for sci -si.
Anyway so we went to toy story mania. The fast pass line was about 20 minutes long. So naturally we were chatting with the people around us. Just before we went on the ride, the people behind us asked if we would like their 3 extra fastpasses. So not only did we get to go on a great ride, we got to do it twice.
Gotta love Disney magic, wherever it comes from !:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Agreed about the Disney Magic! Great report!

faline
12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
You must have been there on December 4th. We didn't arrive until late that evening and discovered, from my brother who had arrived on Thursday, that it had essentially rained the whole day that day!

We, too, headed to Disney Studios on that drizzly Saturday morning, the 5th. It was nice that it cleared by mid-day though it remained on the cool side!

Glad you finally made it on Toy Story Mania! The extra fast passes were a real bonus!

pdrlkr
12-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
12-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Ah, the one thing that's out of everyone's control - the weather! :( I'm sorry it didn't cooperate for you on Friday, but it was great to hear of your success at 1900 Park Faire, the pixie dust involved in getting to ride TSM twice, and your last minute ADR at Sci-Fi. Thanks for sharing! :mickey: