PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef...

mom2morgan
12-13-2009, 12:52 AM
My youngest daughter (11) wants to do Coral Reef. she wanted to do it last time, but I talked her into Chef Mickey's instead. So, maybe I have a false negative perception of it - what's it like? Is it worth it?

Seasonscraps
12-13-2009, 01:11 AM
I went there once three years ago. I loved my meal - it's one of the better ones I can recall ever having in the parks. The big fish tank was pretty cool - the tables had cards with the names of the fish and we spent time trying to spot them all in the tank. The service was good, attentive but not rushed.

The only negative was the wait. It was well past our ADR time and there was not enough room for everyone to wait comfortably.

The only reason we haven't gone back is because our last few trips have either been non-park vacations or we ran out of dinners.

Mysttree
12-13-2009, 06:06 AM
I have had truly wonderful meals here as well as so-so...that being said, I'd still go back.
Why? one word- ambience!
People shovel out more money on places like Rain forest cafe & to me that is nothing more than a hyped up Applebee's wanna be. (and obviously I'm not an Applebee's fan)

I definitely think Coral Reef is worth doing- at least once. It is a really nice atmosphere, and I lOVE the choc. lava cake dessert. :blush:
That is an option, go for a late dessert instead of a meal if you're not sure about the menu.

The Reservoir Dog
12-13-2009, 07:28 AM
My wife and myself had our anniversary dinner there last year. We had a wonderful evening. We were sat right next to the huge aquarium, the food was delicious and we were even given a glass of champagne each on the house.

You may however have to book in advance if you want to celebrate a special occasion as this place is very busy.

GrmGrninGost
12-13-2009, 09:12 AM
This is my favorite restaurant at WDW. Over the last few years, the best meal we've had during our WDW vacation has been here each year. The food has been fantastic and the service wonderful. As far as the atmosphere, for me it doesn't get any better. I love watching the huge aquarium as we dine. I find the overall effect to be spectacular. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
12-13-2009, 09:18 AM
It's an OK place to eat, the atmosphere greatly outweighed the food....:cool:

deedeebee
12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
My kids love this place:thumbsup: They always want to go, we usually make it every other trip. Your DD is sure to love it, the food isn't bad either.

Belster
12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Coral Reef is one place that we do every time. We have always been able to sit in the booths on the main floor which is wonderful and private(we request it when we check in for our resi). My children love it here...as do any guests that we have ever brought with us. We always find the service to be ver nice. I love the ambiance, ie, the colors, sounds, view. We will always go to Coral Reef.

While I love Chef Mickey...I would not chose it over Coral Reef...we are talking bffet food vs. steaks and some seafood. Just my thought. :mickey: But please keep in mind we do also LOVE Chef Mickey..so please don't torch me at the stake....lol.

hel5165
12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
My husband and I dined there last Sept. The food is wonderful but the management of seating is not acceptable. I made the ADR well in advance and was kept waiting for over an hour. And, I know why they keep it so dimly lit; the carpet is absolutely filthy. We won't go again.

yjgirl32
12-13-2009, 01:10 PM
We were just there for our anniversary and a birthday and they absolutely wonderful. We too got free Champagne and strawberries but also got free desserts. My DS6 wanted extra carrots and celery and they accomadated him and then awarded him with a free dessert because of him eating all his vegetables. Love the atmosphere and that wa the best meal of our stay too. Good luck.

Belster
12-13-2009, 01:26 PM
My husband and I dined there last Sept. The food is wonderful but the management of seating is not acceptable. I made the ADR well in advance and was kept waiting for over an hour. And, I know why they keep it so dimly lit; the carpet is absolutely filthy. We won't go again.

We have been several times and have NEVER had this experience at all. I am a clean freak and actually got down on the carpet to clean up after my 18month old son's mess on the carpet...mind you on my hand and knees...the carpet was not filthy at all. In all of my years of going there we have NEVER waited longer than 10 minutes for our resi..even with our request to sit in the booths on the main floor. Just wanted to give my po.

Genie1953
12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Coral Reef is one place that we do every time. We have always been able to sit in the booths on the main floor which is wonderful and private(we request it when we check in for our resi).

Do you have a good view of the aquarium from the booths? We will be there on our 30th anniversary in April and do prefer booths but we also want to make sure we have a good view of the aquarium also.

SBETigg
12-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I had the worst dinner of all time at Coral Reef-- but, it was several years ago now, and I would still recommend giving it a try. We had what I think is one of those truly uniquely bad experiences that can happen anywhere, a comedy of errors looking back. The staff isn't the same. The management isn't the same. The menu isn't the same. It's really neat to watch the fish and I suspect the food can be good. I would love to try it again, if I could only convince my husband to ever set foot in the place after our last experience. Things can happen anywhere. It has to be better than Chef Mickey's! ;) If your daughter really wants to try it, I would definitely keep an open mind and give it a go.

Jillirose
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
We went ther last trip, and it was the kid's favorite! We considered making two ressies this trip. The service was lesisurely because they were so busy. My hubby and I like it second (LeCellier) would be our favorite.

Belster
12-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Do you have a good view of the aquarium from the booths? We will be there on our 30th anniversary in April and do prefer booths but we also want to make sure we have a good view of the aquarium also.

As long as you get a booth on the main floor right in front of the aquarium, it is a fantastic view. When I say main floor I mean all the way down the stairs...I guess bottom floor is the correct term. Sorry about that. Enjoy your dinner.

faline
12-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Keep in mind that I have eaten at this establishment 6-7 times over the years and have yet to have been seated on the bottom floor despite making a request for such a seating and being willing to wait for such a seating.

DonaldsBFF
12-18-2009, 12:49 PM
We have had great experiences both times we went. We made an ADR both times when we went for honeymoon and anniversary. Both times we were seated at tables right in front of tanks. I didn't request for honeymoon but did on anniversary trip. Service was great both times, we were given free champagne both times and on the last trip we got our lobster bisque for free. Also on our anniversary trip I was able to get the personalized menu with a special note from me in it for my wife and some pictures from our honeymoon trip. They don't offer this anymore but it will always be a special memory for us along with Coral Reef being one of our favorite dining locations.

crmark1
12-20-2009, 11:08 PM
We had lunch there on Easter day 07 and it was great! We already have reservations for upcoming trip in April.

Belster
12-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Keep in mind that I have eaten at this establishment 6-7 times over the years and have yet to have been seated on the bottom floor despite making a request for such a seating and being willing to wait for such a seating.

It may have something to do with the time of day that people eat. We eat rather early which could be why we never have a problem getting the bottom floor. We have never been told no...and never had to wait long for it. We eat between 4-5. Just a thought???

jonahbear2006
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
The food was ok but I agree that the management is sooo horrible that it totally ruins your meal. The novelty of the fish tank wears off quickly and if you are sitting next to it, there are kids crawling all over your dinner table to get to the fish. Seating and arrival of food, ticket, finding help is horrendous and we will NEVER go back to this restaurant. We did this for dd's bday last year and she still brings up what a horrible way that was to spend her birthday. Sorry baby! I didnt mean to mess that one up.

ThanxForNoticin
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
As mentioned before, this really is one of those restaurants that people either seem to love or hate. It's strange. Personally, we won't go back again. Awhile back, we had a bad experience with food and service. We waited a couple years, decided to give it another try, and it was worse. Perhaps we were just unlucky, but we're not inclined to give them another try.

That being said, it's probably a place you really should try for yourself. I have friends who love it.

tpalmer1031
12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
My Entire Party Ate Ther In 2007--everyones Meal Was Very Bad And It Was Very Dirty--the Atmosphere Was Great!!

tpalmer1031
12-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I will never go again!!

magicgal
12-23-2009, 07:31 PM
The first two times we dined at CR we did not care for it that much. We actually stopped going for a few years because of those experiences, which basically was just so so food, and terrible service, plus it is soooo loud in there. We decided to give it another go about 2 years ago, and luckily everything went great. The food was good, service was great, and of course you cannot beat the tanks. However, it was still very loud, but since everything else went fine, we really didn't mind the noise. We also went this past May, and again had a great experience...so, I would give it a try, especially for the tanks!

elmjimmlm
12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
We ate there in August and it was one of our best meals that week...We also had an extra treat while we were there...There were divers in the tank and one was at a table of kids by the tank and he was "eating" with them...It was so fun...

Jared
12-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Coral Reef might be the most polarizing restaurant in Disney. It's at least in competition with 'Ohana. These are the two places that generate both intense criticism and immense praise, seemingly with no middle ground.

Personally, my brother and I had a wonderful experience at Coral Reef in May. We had a seat leaning against the fish tank. Like others have said, there were young kids milling around our table during the meal, but we expected that behavior. Coral Reef is geared toward families, and I understand why children would be excited by the atmosphere. If their presence became intrusive, I would have found their parents, but it never became a problem. We chatted and watched the fish with them.

As for food, everything we tried off the lunch menu was just wonderful. My brother had the lobster bisque to start; I had a mixed salad with a light vinaigrette. The soup was a hit. I also adored my catfish entree, which I believe is no longer offered.

To the original poster, I'd try Coral Reef, especially over Chef Mickey's. You may be pleasantly surprised.

:tasty:

JohnnyNovo
12-24-2009, 02:14 PM
We always enjoy this restraunt!

Gator
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I had one of my favorite 3 meals of all time at the Coral Reef. The food there is excellent. Even if you don't get a table by the tank, the ambience is very nice and not as noisy as other Disney Park restaurants. The only thing I didn't like, and other posters as well, was the wait for our seats. I waited over 30 minutes to get the table. If you go there, try getting an early dinner time (4:30-5:00). It would probably reduce your wait time. Other than that, I would encourage you to try this one. You won't regret it.

Dznygrl79
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
First find out why your daughter wants to go if its the themeing there will be no disapponitment. I had a good meal here but better dessert. I am a very picky person to please but I had no problem with cleanliness as a mater of fact the bathrooms are some of the best in Futureworld. I did have to wait (even with an adr) but I think thats to because the tank is so fascinating people forget to eat and love to watch the fish/animals. My meal was proper temperature and presented on an elegant plating ( can you tell I'm a chef by profession!) the waiter I had was abolutely oozing Disney Spirit, I was eating by myself and he still treated me as well as a larger table. I say it is worth checking out once. Now personally I think if you are going for the seafood Cape May Cafe would be a better choice, and for a buffet its excellent.

mom2morgan
12-27-2009, 08:08 PM
First find out why your daughter wants to go if its the themeing there will be no disapponitment. I had a good meal here but better dessert.
It's definitely the theming - and dessert couldn't hurt ;-) My older DD isn't excited, but she HATES seafood and so I showed her the menu, and she had to grudgingly agree that there is plenty to eat that isn't seafood :mickey: