PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation decision for visit between Christmas and New Years

lc412000
12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
We have decided to visit WDW in a few weeks (December 28 – January 2). At this time we are undecided if we would rather stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge or the Contemporary Resort. For our WDW vacation, we are booking 2 rooms as part of a vacation package, along with the dining plan (question about that in the dining forum). Our ages are 25 to 50.

Now, we are seeking help with the decision making regarding accommodations. The Contemporary’s cost is $2,500 more than booking at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. During the week, we plan on visiting each of the theme parks. The Contemporary accommodation is a room facing in the direction of the Magic Kingdom and overlooking the parking lot. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is a standard, non-Savannah room.

With our plan to spend only one day at the Magic Kingdom, would it better to skip the traffic at the TTC and book at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, where a bus will bring us directly to the theme park we are visiting that day?

I would appreciate your thoughts on our accommodation decision.

Thanks

Tiggerish
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
The Contemporary has a bus stop right outside the front door with bus service to all of the other theme parks, you wouldn't have to go through the TTC to get anywhere (unless you are taking the monorail to Epcot, then you would have to switch trains at TTC). However, unless I am mistaken (and that's possible) you could also get a bus to Epcot from the resort.

So, transportation options being pretty much equal now, you just need to decide if it's worth $2,500 to you to overlook the MK.

MOJoe
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
The time frame you are looking at is one of the busiest of the year for MK. The price for the Contemporary is reflective of that. If MK is your main focus, then you will want to stay there. But, if not, then the AK or another resort should work.
$2500 is a huge difference, just for the location and view. Not worth it for me. But for those who won't be denied, and spare no expense, it is the closest to the MK Christmas Magic you can get.

disneyboundagain
12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
it is the closest to the MK Christmas Magic you can get.

BLT is closer :D

Tink1
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
While the close proximity to the MK is a big plus for this busy week, I think I would take the AKL.

When the parks are crowded, I like the AKL since it is "removed" from it all. You get to enjoy a little more down time when you stay there.

The $2500 savings would be the second factor for me.

Nanc

Tygger7
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Your post leaves me scratching my head a little....it looks like you're planning a trip for December 2009, correct? If you haven't already booked your package, availability could be an issue. Also, you mentioned the dining plan....that might be a waste of money if you haven't booked ADR's. At this late date, you will probably have great difficulty finding opening at TS restuarants. Added to this, you're going at one of the busiest times of the year. Just didn't want you to be shocked if you have trouble getting the hotel you want, and trying to get in as a walk up for the TS locations. Possible, but very difficult.

TammiMcMan
12-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I think AKL is a great choice for this time of year, especially if you aren't going to be spending a majority of your time in the MK. It will most likely be quieter and as others have mentioned, a nice refuge from the craziness of the parks. Lots of hotels are still showing availability (including the two you mentioned), but I probably wouldn't wait much longer to decide and book something. New Years eve is often a sell out at the resorts.

I'm in agreement about skipping the dining plan. Between booking so late and going at an extremely busy time of year, you are most likely not going to get any ADR's for table service dining. Best bet, may be trying to eat at very off times, or simply going counter service.

lockedoutlogic
12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
There is no way contemporary is worth 2500 more than Animal Kingdom....

actually...animal kingdom is the best hotel in many ways....so there's my take

I assume Wilderness Lodge isn't an option....because that best fits what you seem to want outta your trip

thumperbug
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Unless a block of rooms have suddenly been opened up...all the resorts are booked at least Dec 28- 1/1 and there is virtually no ADR's to be had.

coloradowendyl
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Unless a block of rooms have suddenly been opened up...all the resorts are booked at least Dec 28- 1/1 and there is virtually no ADR's to be had.

Before the OP gets a good scare, I just checked and Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, and the Polynesian still have availability for their dates of Dec.28 to Jan.2.

ADRS...much harder to come by unless you are willing to be very flexible in terms of dining times and try some of the less well known restaurants.

Wendy

TammiMcMan
12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Unless a block of rooms have suddenly been opened up...all the resorts are booked at least Dec 28- 1/1 and there is virtually no ADR's to be had.As of 2 days ago, there were a number of resorts showing availability for the OP's dates. It doesn't take long for New Years eve dates to sell out though. Hopefully they made their decision and were able to book the rooms they wanted.

Thank you Wendy :)

lockedoutlogic
12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
As of 2 days ago, there were a number of resorts showing availability for the OP's dates. It doesn't take long for New Years eve dates to sell out though. Hopefully they made their decision and were able to book the rooms they wanted.

Thank you Wendy :)

The fact that there are any rooms available on December 13th is a major warning flag regarding Disney's theme park business....
lots of people in Anaheim and Orlando are probably sporting a "bah humbug" look on their faces these days

lc412000
12-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the words of advice and suggestions regarding our accommodations for our upcoming visit to WDW. After reading through the messages to my original question, we decided to book at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Then, the question became, do we book a savannah view or a standard room and we chose the standard room, thinking our time in the room would be limited anyway.
Our main reason for thinking of the Contemporary Resort was to view the fireworks display in the evenings and especially on New Years Eve. Actually, we decided upon the AKL more for the anticipated quickness of using the busses to get around WDW rather than dealing with crowds via the monorail system and also the positive comments made in the forums about the AKL.
We were able to make ADR at the following restaurants.
December 28 – 8:20pm: Hollywood Brown Derby @ Hollywood Studios
December 29 – 7:30pm: Yak & Yeti @ Animal Kingdom
December 30 – 9:30pm: Narcoossee’s @ Grand Floridian
December 31 – 12:15pm: Nine Dragons @ World Showcase
December 31 – 7:45pm: Maya Grill @ Coronado Springs Resort
January 1 – 9:15pm: Yachtsman Steakhouse @ Yacht Club Resort

Again, thanks for advice on my question regarding a resort selection.

Seasonscraps
12-14-2009, 09:14 AM
NICE!! It sounds like it will be a great vacation! Enjoy!!

renecat
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
You show your at Narcoossies at 9:30pm on Dec. 30th. Checked the holiday wishes scheduel and it shows them at 8:30 on Dec. 30th. If you arrive at narcoossies early you can watch the holiday wishes from the balcony. They pipe in all the sound. To me sometimes this is better then being in the MK.

thumperbug
12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Glad to hear there are rooms available. Either they had some cancellations or opened up additional rooms because about 2 weeks ago there was nothing available. Hopefully some of our readers will be inspired to plan a last minute trip for the hoidays. :)