PDA

View Full Version : How expensive is Shula's?

disneyboundagain
12-10-2009, 11:04 PM
We have reservations for Christmas day. There will be myself, a real steak lover, DW, DD6 and DS3. I have read several posts that say it is pricey, but how pricey? I don't know that I will enjoy a meal if I have to pay $200-$300. Can anyone recommend anywhere else special for Christmas day, either on or off Disney property. We have already eaten at Le Cellier, Yachtsman, and Fulton's. We already have an ADR for Teppan Edo another night during this stay.

SBETigg
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
It can be pricey. Figure $50-60 or more per adult, if no alcohol is involved. But it depends on what you order. Upscale steakhouses tend to price a la carte- meaning for $30 you could get just a steak, and not even the best cut of steak (though all of them are good), and then pay more for side dishes, and even more for appetizers, desserts, etc. You might manage to keep it under $200 with careful ordering and paying close attention, but those extras add up fast. So, it's hard to say exactly. It will probably be a wonderful meal, though.

It might be hard to get a Christmas ADR elsewhere now. One of my favorites (and more affordable than Shula's) is Grand Floridian Cafe. Your best bet at this late date would be to call Disney Dining and see what's available, then go from there.

CiaoBella312
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
I have eaten at a Shula's, but it was in Baltimore, MD, not in Orlando. Having said that, they are a chain, and I can't imagine that the one in Disney is cheaper than the one in Baltimore. Be prepared, because it IS expensive. They serve the steak with nothing; if you want potato or a vegetable, it is extra. The extras, though, are not "per person", they give you a large enough portion of the sides that you order that two or three people could share them (for your family of two adults and two relatively small children, you could get one potato side and one vegetable side). The sides were not cheap, they ran about ten bucks per, that's after you pay for the steaks, which run anywhere from $35 to $60 or so each. That does not include salad, or appetizer, a drink, or a dessert. There is a very limited children's selection, which includes a hamburger. Adults cannot get the hamburger in the restaurant. There was a bar attached and if you eat in the bar, you can get something less expensive. Just for me and my daughter, dinner without dessert or appetizer, with her drinking water and me drinking soda, ran $125 including tax and tip.

The steaks were very good. I had some sort of twin filet thing that came in some sort of wine reduction sauce, and I wished that there was more of the sauce, it was that good. The potatoes and vegetables were very standard, nothing special. There were signed footballs on the tables which the kids enjoyed looking at.

Enjoy your special Christmas celebration, and I hope that this helped. :-)

TheRustyScupper
12-11-2009, 11:14 AM
We paid $320, including tip
. . . four adults
. . . two-to-three drinks each
. . . appy for each
. . . meal (steaks)
. . . two desserts (each couple split one)

mom2morgan
12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking that I agree with you - I couldn't enjoy a meal I paid that much for, no matter how good it was. I enjoyed California Grill (on the DDP, so I didn't "feel" like I was spending money, LOL - but I realized that the tip alone could buy me and DH a decent meal in our home town).

disneyboundagain
12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking that I agree with you - I couldn't enjoy a meal I paid that much for, no matter how good it was. I enjoyed California Grill (on the DDP, so I didn't "feel" like I was spending money, LOL - but I realized that the tip alone could buy me and DH a decent meal in our home town).

That's my point exactly. We ate at Fulton's 2 Christmases ago, and the bill with the tip was $240. The food was awesome, but I had a hard time enjoying it.

ThanxForNoticin
12-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Be careful of the 'disguise' of cost of the DDP!! At the very least, you didn't think about it while you were eating!!

If you are asking how expensive Shula's is and thinking it might ruin your meal, you might want to try and find a alternative. We love the Shula's at the Dolphin, but it is pricey. The estimates given here are very accurate.