PDA

View Full Version : Which meals would you pay out-of-pocket for?

mom2morgan
12-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm looking for the best value for my dining credits. I've often heard it said that we should pay out-of-pocket for any meal that costs 2 dining credits - is this pretty much true across-the-board? And does it also apply to the dinner shows like Hoop-de-doo and the Luau? (sorry, I'm having an awful time remembering what they are called - that's what I get for posting from work ;-)

Michigander
12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd pay out of pocket for any of the food at the Plaza in Magic Kingdom. The food there is great and you get a lot for the money. I love their strawberry and grilled chicken salad! Oh I want to be there right now!!!!:blush:

DisneyGlutton
12-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't agree that any 2 credit place is automatically better to pay out of pocket. In fact, without crunching numbers, I would say the opposite is true, especially if you are on the deluxe plan. I've spent $50-75 or more per person at most signature places, or at least I would've out of pocket.

MizMissy
12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
It may depend on the chosen restaurants and ADR times. For example, lunch is usually less expensive than dinner, same for breakfast buffets. One year, I paid OOP for Tusker House breakfast buffet and used 2 TS for California Grill. We definitely came out ahead, however, this was when appetizers and tips were included, so I'm not sure if things would still be equal.

rubato
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm paying out of pocket for Hoop de Doo, but that's because I want category 1 seating. And, I think it depends a lot on what your doing. Breakfast at CRT is cheaper than dinner. So, if you are going for breakfast, it would make sense to pay OOP, but maybe not so much for dinner. I am on the dining plan for the first time. We decided not to do any signature dining until next time, when we won't have the dining plan. It just makes more sense for us. I don't tend to order the most expensive thing on a menu, so I'm financially better off without the plan. But, you may not be that way.

crmark1
12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
We have used the DDP twice before. On our next trip in April we have it again. I have found that breakfast at the resort foodcourt is the best for us OOP. Breakfast is usually the least costly meal. Before we did use the 2 TS credits for the dinner show at the Poly and thought it was well worth it.

MNNHFLTX
12-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm sure it depends on the restaurant, but when my son and I ate at Jiko's last August we did not eat enough to justify the 2 TS credits per person used.