PDA

View Full Version : water parks / pools camera bag

gerald72
12-10-2009, 11:48 AM
What does everyone use when they want to take their digital camera to the pools and water parks (and water rides), but not get it wet?
I was looking at some waterproof camera bags on eBay. Has anyone used one of these?
Any other ideas?

Iluvpooh
12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
You sound like an overplanner like me. I bought the best waterproof bags to keep in our boat for things like cell phones, cameras ect...
My husband had a big laugh about it-put my camera and phone in a gallon size ziploc bag and threw it in.
Needless to say the only thing we pack in our backpack for the parks is some ziploc bags.:blush:
BTW_Nothing gets dunked in water just a little splashed except for Kali River if there is no room left in the storage.

phillydan
12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
We use the zip locks also.. never been a problem.

DisneyWFan
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I bought a waterproof digital camera made by Fuji it cost me about $199 and took the best underwater pictures I have ever seen the pictures looked as if they were taken outside of the water with a DSLR camera on it's best setting

gerald72
12-11-2009, 07:07 PM
You sound like an overplanner like me. I bought the best waterproof bags to keep in our boat for things like cell phones, cameras ect...
My husband had a big laugh about it-put my camera and phone in a gallon size ziploc bag and threw it in.
Needless to say the only thing we pack in our backpack for the parks is some ziploc bags.:blush:
BTW_Nothing gets dunked in water just a little splashed except for Kali River if there is no room left in the storage.

I didn't mean a bag for storing the camera while on a ride. I meant a waterproof bag to put the camera in while you are using it and taking pictures, such as in a wave pool.

Buttercup
12-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Hmmm... I think I understand what you're asking. You're wondering if you can buy some kind of bag or accessory to protect your camera from water, but still be able to shoot pictures with the bag on. Correct?
I've seen the special bags that are for sale that are *supposed* to make your camera waterproof, but again, you won't get 100% tack-sharp photos as your camera will be struggling to focus through the bag. (I'm a photographer by trade) Ever taken a photo through a window on a rainy day? Sometimes your camera focuses on the raindrops on the glass instead of what's outside the window. Same type thing.
Those bags are more for consistent underwater shots, like if you were snorkeling, where there wouldn't be drops of water in front of the lens as the whole camera would be submerged. Somehow I doubt you'll be taking a lot of photos underwater in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon (shooting pics of everyone's legs and feet!).

So from what I understand, you just want to take pictures while in the wave pool, but protect your camera from splashes, right?
And as I said, for the money you pay for those bags, they're not going to prevent your camera from struggling to autofocus properly. You may end up with a bunch of out-of-focus shots of water droplets.

In fact, for large professional cameras, they *do* have plastic covers that you can use around your camera and long lens if you are, for instance, shooting in a rainstorm. But even those have an opening where the lens sticks through so there is nothing in front of it. And you still need an umbrella to keep water from falling on the glass of the lens. They're more just to keep the body of the camera and it's electronic parts dry.

Even "waterproof cameras" sometimes have this problem of focusing through an additional piece of plastic. So I'd say you've just gotta stand back from the waves and keep it as dry as possible when taking photos I guess to get the best shots possible. Try standing on shore and zooming in - that might be your best bet.

Giggy
12-11-2009, 09:09 PM
We normally cheat and each bring a one-use camera and sent it off to be developed. That way the worst case scenario is you lose a few photos, rather than an expensive camera. Last time we avoided that risk as we found waterproof versions with a strong clear plastic casing around the camera with buttons that extended to press the button on the camera inside.

This applies to the 'kids' whereas my Dad has brought along his camera and camcorder before. Admittedly on previous trips I haven't owened a digital camera. I'm not sure whether I will take it this time around, in which case I guess I could take along a one-use camera as well for occasions when it may get wet.

Lizzie
12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
I have a small sony camera that we bought a hard waterproof case for an extra 150 but we use it all the time fun pics of the kids swimming underwater. The pictures you get from the disposable water cameras are horable. But their is an olympus camera you can get that can go in water and can be dropped.