PDA

View Full Version : How can we get a good seat?

disneykid@hrt
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
We have ADR's for my daughter's 2nd Birthday at Cali Grill. I made them for 7:15 on a night that Wishes is scheduled for 8. I was thinking we would most likely be seated by then. I was hoping I could somehow make a request to be seated by a window, so that we could watch Wishes from our table and have a great view of MK from our seat. This dinner is a huge splurge for us. We've ordered a custom cake and we all got some spiffy new clothes, so we can appear to be "proper folk." ;) I won't cry myself to sleep if we have to watch from a balcony...but I want it to be as Magical as possible. Is there a way to ask before we even get there? I was thinking we could purposely get there early, tell them we'll wait? Is there a better way? Could they possibly already have us seated by a window because thy know its a special occasion? I know they have a gazillion Celebrations a day...

Thanks!

mom2morgan
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, we went on my daughter's 16th. I called and asked about a window seat and they just said "Oh, it doesn't really matter, since you can go on the balcony!" They gave us a nice table, decorated with Mickey Confetti , but it was no where near a window (so that's my answer to whether or not they'll do it if they know it's a special occasion!).

epceddie
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
We asked for a window seat when we went on our honeymoon in October of 2007, but it fell on deaf ears.
We ended up being seated in the "wine room," which was off the main dining room. It proved to be a blessing in disguise, because the room with the MK views was total chaos. Very noisy and hectic and the bar area was very crowded.
The food was so-so for the price and the best part was watching the fireworks from the viewing platform. After they were over, we were leaving and Newt Gingrich, the former Speaker of the House, was holding the door open and saying hello to everyone.

TheRustyScupper
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
1) You cannot ask ahead of time.
2) There are too many others who also want good seats.
3) You can only request when you get to the podium.
4) Your ADR is a late time for a window seat.
5) By this time, usually others have already asked for the seats.
6) Try for 90-minutes before fireworks are scheduled.

NOTE: As you mentioned, there are MANY celebrations very day. Thus, no celebration gets priority over another. So, early ressies for a special table are not taken. And, for the 7:15pm ADR, I have seen people not get a seat that close to fireowrks, as others take their time and stall to keep their table for the fireworks.

SBETigg
12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
There is no way to guarantee that you'll get one of the coveted window seats. It's really all up to chance, if one of those tables is coming available as you're about to be seated. You can't really wait for one. They have multiple requests per seating time. There are too many people who want them (with equally special reasons) for them to do anything other than seat people in order as they come available.

California Grill is a wonderful restaurant. We've always had fantastic food and service, and it doesn't matter where we've been seated-- there are views everywhere. The view from the balcony is really much better than the views from the tables for fireworks-- but I can understand with a two year old that you would want to stay seated. If you're seated on the far side of the restaurant, you have the added bonus of Epcot/DHS views in the distance. In the middle, you have Seven Seas lagoon views and the chance to catch the Electrical Water Pageant for multiple stops (depending on seating times). I hope you get lucky. Your little one will probably be happy as long as you're happy. And there's no need to break the bank on new clothes-- the people next to you could easily be in jeans and tee shirts. But it does feel more special when you're dressed up.

disneykid@hrt
12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for all of the answers. Not gonna put all my eggs in the window seat basket.

I don't know how to multi-quote- but I do want to say:
I love Newt! I so wish he'd run for the Big Job.

I always dress Brie up special for EVERYTHING and we didn't want her to feel singled-out so we're dressing "up" too. (Nothing fancy, khakis and collared shirts.)

I figured we'd be watching the fireworks from the balcony more than likely anyway- are you saying Rusty- that we won't even be seated by 8 because people are going to want to linger?

disneykid@hrt
12-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I just tried to get earlier Adrs- no luck. They had 5:20 but I'm assuming that's way too early.

SBETigg
12-10-2009, 11:56 PM
You'll probably be seated. They tend to stay on schedule. But the likelihood of the prime window seat goes down, because people who book seats for the fireworks might book them earlier with plans to linger. But there is a chance. People who booked at 5 or 6 will be finishing up and leaving. No one stays forever. There's always a chance.

kakn7294
12-11-2009, 03:44 AM
We didn't get to experience this personally as they closed the restaurant on the day of our ADR (and only let us know 3.5 weeks in advance of the date) for a private event but I have been told by several people who have personally experienced it as well as several CMs when making ADRs, that regardless of whether you are seated or not, you can still view the fireworks from the balcony on the day of your ADR. So even if you wouldn't be seated by 8p, you can still go out and watch. Have a great time!

Tinkermom
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
We didn't get to experience this personally as they closed the restaurant on the day of our ADR (and only let us know 3.5 weeks in advance of the date) for a private event but I have been told by several people who have personally experienced it as well as several CMs when making ADRs, that regardless of whether you are seated or not, you can still view the fireworks from the balcony on the day of your ADR. So even if you wouldn't be seated by 8p, you can still go out and watch. Have a great time!

This is true. Anyone who has checked in can enjoy the fireworks. Also, if you were to decide to take an earlier seating and finish your meal and then leave you can go back up to Cali Grill for the fireworks. Just keep your reciept and show it at the check-in desk. We have done this many times as it takes away the angst of trying to time our meal just right for fireworks. We hang out and shop at the Contemporary. We also hit the arcade and just relax and then head back up to Cali Grill when it is time for fireworks.:mickey:

Watching from the balcony really is magical. You can even take a drink out there to enjoy. Our daughter who is 8 now has a tradition of having a Shirley Temple while watching fireworks from the Cali Gril balcony.:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
are you saying Rusty- that we won't even be seated by 8 because people are going to want to linger?

1) I am saying that it could happen.
2) I give it a 50/50 chance.
3) just don't be disappointed if it happens.
4) You can always go out on the balcony and watch.
5) Then, come back in a eat.
6) You would be surprised how fast it clears out after fireworks. ;)