PDA

View Full Version : sweet tea? where does one find it at the world?

alex61821
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I have kicked the soda/pop (depending on where you are from) habit and have replaced it with a pretty strong sweet tea habit. just wondering where to get my fix.

cd3000
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I know Epcot over at the electric umbrella has sweet black tea I believe, pretty good. Free refills too.

ILoveLegos
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
There is bubble tea in China (not a southern thing, but an eastern thing - big tapioca balls swimming in tea). :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Trails End in Fort Wilderness Campground has it for sure., my girls swear they also got it at WCC.

alex61821
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I know Epcot over at the electric umbrella has sweet black tea I believe, pretty good. Free refills too.

free refills? looks like i may never leave :thumbsup:

laprana
12-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I know that a lot of the resort CS places have sweet tea available, too. My sister is a sweet tea nut and got it just this past week at Artist's Palette at SSR, Captain Cooks at the Poly, and Everything POP at Pop. They have machines at the beverage stations that have 4 different choices of tea and 2 of the choices are sweetened - one was green tea, but I can't remember what the other was. The 2 other choices were unsweetened black tea and citrus flavored white tea. They were the same dispenser machines at the three places we found them, so they might be property-wide in the resorts. Hope this helps! :mickey:

Briansmom
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
OK, since I am a southerner and a sweet tea fanatic myself (and rather picky about it as well), I will warn you that alot of sweet tea in FL (when you can find it, that is) is flavored with lemon or rasberry or other such nonsense.... And that is not true NC sweet tea! Also, our DS11 has autism and will only drink the REAL sweet tea (not flavored). We were fortunate to find really good REAL sweet tea at Boatwrights. And they were kind enough to give us three cups when we ran out of the tea in our room that we had bought at Chick-Fil-A. Ahhhh, I love Disney World....they are so good to us.:mickey:

magicofdisney
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
OK, since I am a southerner and a sweet tea fanatic myself (and rather picky about it as well), I will warn you that alot of sweet tea in FL (when you can find it, that is) is flavored with lemon or rasberry or other such nonsense.... And that is not true NC sweet tea! Also, our DS11 has autism and will only drink the REAL sweet tea (not flavored). We were fortunate to find really good REAL sweet tea at Boatwrights. And they were kind enough to give us three cups when we ran out of the tea in our room that we had bought at Chick-Fil-A. Ahhhh, I love Disney World....they are so good to us.:mickey:
The Rainforest Cafe has genuine sweet tea. It is not flavored. In fact, living in FL I find non-flavored sweet tea all over the place, just not that often at Disney.

McDonalds has AWESOME sweet tea (non-flavored) and you can find one down from the All Star Resorts.

ThanxForNoticin
12-09-2009, 07:41 PM
And although it's a rather common response, we occasionally get a sweet tea fix at McDonalds (DTD or just up from All-Star)!! I find the sweet tea at Rainforest Cafe to be very good. Happy hunting!

TinksDH
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
It's surprising just how good Mickey D's sweet tea is. Also their coffee... they've come a long way!

mom2morgan
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Okay, what IS sweet tea? I'm wondering if it is something I'm already familiar with but by a different name. (on a possibly related note, I ordered a glass of Iced Tea in Disney World and was shocked to find out that it is ....well...iced tea! Up here if you order Iced Tea you get a sweetened beverage, often flavoured with lemon. But it was HILARIOUS to watch my kids try to drink it ;-)

Tinkerfreak
12-10-2009, 08:23 AM
We had sweet tea at Garden Grill in Epcot and McDonalds in DTD. The stuff at Garden Grill was better.

like2workout
12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
i also love sweet tea and have looked all over disneyworld for it. it's hard to find at meals, but if you like it in the plastic bottles (lipton, i think?), i've had the most luck finding it at hollywood studios. i know sweet spells right on the corner of sunset blvd. sells it for sure. good luck!

Ms. Mode
12-10-2009, 09:41 AM
It's surprising just how good Mickey D's sweet tea is. Also their coffee... they've come a long way!

MacDonald's sweet tea and coffee are excellent, that's true. :thumbsup: But everytime we have visited WDW "sweet tea" as we know it is not available. They bring you unsweet tea and packs of sugar or sweet n low.

Sweet tea where we come from is like what you're grandmother used to make to serve with dinner. Lipton or Luzianne with sugar. Yumm

ILoveLegos
12-10-2009, 11:13 AM
For those not familiar with the real thing "Sweet Tea" (like my great-grandma made it). True southern sweet tea is brewed strong (lots of tea bags steeped in boiling water). Then this very warm concoction is liberally sweetened (almost to the point of syrup) with real sugar (not sugar substitutes). Then lots of ice is added once the sugar is disolved and it is plunged into the "chill box" until serving time. No other flavors like raspberry or lemon were added (although I have heard that some old timmers enjoyed with "other libations" added). :secret:

Believe it or not it tastes nothing like soft drink dispenser - "raspberry tea" and yes, in a fix Micky-D's Sweet Tea comes real close to authentic southern sweet tea!

alex61821
12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
even though i am a northerner I sure do appreciate southern tea. when a waitress up here offers me regular tea and sugar packets I know they just dont get it. The mickey dees tea is a good fix not as good as mcalisters though but certainly easier to get. I also like the Arnold Palmers when i cant get real sweet tea.

We will be staying at POFQ anybody know if they have sweet tea there?

crmark1
12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
I gave up on ordering tea at WDW. Most I have found tasted like the Lipton tea in bottles. When I make it at home I bring a quart of water just to a boil with 4 Lipton family size tea bags, pour into 1 gallon pitcher add 1.25 cups of sugar, fill with water, and refrigerate. We drive to WDW and usually make 2 gallons to take with us in old milk jugs.

W24toISMdirect
12-17-2009, 10:21 AM
What you have to understand about Sweet Tea is that if don't keep it chilled (which is impractical in food service) it begins growing bacteria within about 4 hours (the sugar helps, unsweet lasts much longer which is why it's far more common) and turns to **** soon after. It's counter-intuitive that somewhere located in the south where sweet tea is common wouldn't serve it, but keep it's Disney World, statistically southerners don't make any more of the customer base than anyway, so keeping true honest to god, not the garbage that comes out of the Soda machine sweet tea is likely unpractical at most places.

Also keep in mind that Nestea is by and large the standard for garbage soda machine fake tea... and Nestle is dug in pretty deep at Disney World... hence the 5,378 (citation needed) threads about trying to find a cup of coffee that isn't Nescafe.

g8rgirl29
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Olivia's at OKW has brewed sweet tea. I know that there is a Chick-fil-A in the airport and they sell sweet tea. I just don't know if they sell the gallon jugs like they do in the regular Chick-fil-A's. I am going to try to find out on my next trip.

Stu29573
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM

As a lifetime Texas resident I can vouch for this. Real tea isn't fruity! (it also isn't black, green, purple, or whatever...):thumbsup:

alex61821
12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
What you have to understand about Sweet Tea is that if don't keep it chilled (which is impractical in food service) it begins growing bacteria within about 4 hours (the sugar helps, unsweet lasts much longer which is why it's far more common) and turns to **** soon after. It's counter-intuitive that somewhere located in the south where sweet tea is common wouldn't serve it, but keep it's Disney World, statistically southerners don't make any more of the customer base than anyway, so keeping true honest to god, not the garbage that comes out of the Soda machine sweet tea is likely unpractical at most places.

Also keep in mind that Nestea is by and large the standard for garbage soda machine fake tea... and Nestle is dug in pretty deep at Disney World... hence the 5,378 (citation needed) threads about trying to find a cup of coffee that isn't Nescafe.

I left some arnold palmer in a jug out for a day at home on the kitchen counter and it had mold on it within a day, i was pretty surprised. the same jug in the fridge lasts weeks with nothing.

Briansmom
12-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Olivia's at OKW has brewed sweet tea. I know that there is a Chick-fil-A in the airport and they sell sweet tea. I just don't know if they sell the gallon jugs like they do in the regular Chick-fil-A's. I am going to try to find out on my next trip.

The Chick-Fil-A right outside of DTD sells it in the gallon jugs.....that was our saving grace this last trip.

SoaringEpcot
12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I went all week at Disney World last week with out any Sweet Tea. DW does not drink it so we had water and Coke all week. Driving home on Saturday we stopped at a Cracker Barrell, they usually have good Sweet Tea, but not this time. I had to wait until I got home and made some minutes after walking in the door. By the way give America Tea a try (now owned by Bigelow), it is the only tea grown in the USA. And comes from Charleston SC.

EPCOT84
12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
For those not familiar with the real thing "Sweet Tea" (like my great-grandma made it). True southern sweet tea is brewed strong (lots of tea bags steeped in boiling water). Then this very warm concoction is liberally sweetened (almost to the point of syrup) with real sugar (not sugar substitutes). Then lots of ice is added once the sugar is disolved and it is plunged into the "chill box" until serving time. No other flavors like raspberry or lemon were added (although I have heard that some old timmers enjoyed with "other libations" added). :secret:

Believe it or not it tastes nothing like soft drink dispenser - "raspberry tea" and yes, in a fix Micky-D's Sweet Tea comes real close to authentic southern sweet tea!

Thank you for the explanation. I was reading this post because recently McDonalds started running ads introducing Sweet Tea and you answered all my questions. Thanks !:mickey:

MinnieMommie
12-20-2009, 08:03 AM
There isn't anything as good homemade sweet tea but while at Disney McDonald's sweet tea will do. :mickey:

DisneyRN
12-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I believe DD got sweet tea at 50's Prime Time for lunch one day two weeks ago.

Having lived in the South for 20+ years, I am a Southener by association...originally grew up in AZ/CA. Southern traditions like sweet tea and fried okra is all I really remember.

But, surprising enough, I prefer unsweet tea or half-unsweet and half sweet mixed. Occasionally, I will be in the mood for a good glass of Southern tea. :cheers:

MushuGrl
12-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm interested in this bubble tea now. What does it taste like?

(BTW I'm a southerner too (Tennessee) - McDonald's is a savior when it comes to sweet tea.)

EPCOT84
12-30-2009, 01:49 PM
To answer Mushugrl's question about bubble tea - out here in California and Hawaii, mainly in asian food courts and restaurants there are lots of places that serve bubble tea better known as Boba tea. I can't really call them tea drinks. Boba are large tapioca balls floating in various sweetened drinks. Sometimes it is actually tea but many time there are other asian pacific influenced flavors like coconut, mango, orange, and a purple one which I think is taro root. Since the tapioca balls are larger than a normal straw width, a larger width straw is provided. Its really sweet, almost sickly sweet imho.

Going back to the OP thread, as I wrote earlier McDonald's has been running $1 Sweet Tea ads a lot recently. Has Sweet Tea been a standard at McD's in the south and only now is being introduced out West?

Buttercup
12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
In Canada, if you order an "Iced Tea", you always get sweet tea. It's available pretty much anywhere. So when we go down to Florida, it's always a shock when we order Iced Tea and it's not sweet at all! We always have to remember to say SWEET!

wdwnomad
12-30-2009, 10:28 PM
You can get sweet tea at Wolfgang Puck Express in DD.

E-Ticket4
12-31-2009, 03:52 PM
There is also a sweet tea vodka in a number of brands available at liquor stores. A grown up substitute for an evening by the pool.

Briansmom
12-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Going back to the OP thread, as I wrote earlier McDonald's has been running $1 Sweet Tea ads a lot recently. Has Sweet Tea been a standard at McD's in the south and only now is being introduced out West?

YES! YES! YES! Where I live, McD's sweet tea is some of the best sweet tea you can get. It has been around here a long time. And I am guessing they started serving it here first because it is such a staple in our southern culture. But beware, it is SWEET!! I don't drink it any more (been losing weight) but I did love me some Mickey D's sweet tea! :mickey:

pluto 77
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
They had Twin Peak sweet tea at the Contemporary food quart. It was not flavored and it was very, very good. I think they probably have it at most of the resort counter services.

whitney37354
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
They had Twin Peak sweet tea at the Contemporary food quart. It was not flavored and it was very, very good. I think they probably have it at most of the resort counter services.

Great! Now DD will have something besides water to drink out of her mug!

Tinksmom
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
This is my biggest problem. Even though I'm always sad to leave WDW, I'm glad to get back to my sweet tea. I guess it's bad to be so addicted! There are worse things, though. I'll have to remember the McDonald's on site or grab a gallon from Chick-fil-A in LBV on our next trip!!! Great Thread!

QTPie68
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I too, am a Sweet Tea lover!!

I heard that they were replacing the yucky Nescrap syprup made tea with Gold Peak brand tea machines (maybe someone could confirm this??). If so, Gold Peak is the best bottled tea I have ever tried, and although not sweet tea, still palatable if in the plain "sweetened" kind.

magicofdisney
01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm fairly certain that all the self serve drink areas are offering the Gold Peak tea. While it's not the real deal, it can definitely hold its own. :)

alex61821
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
The Chick-Fil-A right outside of DTD sells it in the gallon jugs.....that was our saving grace this last trip.

is this something you can walk to? if so which way do i go?

QTPie68
01-15-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm fairly certain that all the self serve drink areas are offering the Gold Peak tea. While it's not the real deal, it can definitely hold its own. :)

Good to hear!! Thank you!!

Briansmom
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
is this something you can walk to? if so which way do i go?

No, you wouldnt be able to walk to it. It is on the other side of Interstate 4.