PDA

View Full Version : Snowday!!

Jillirose
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
:ski:I:sled::sboard:t's probably just an 'our town' thing, but people really get hyped up about snow days here in Northern MI. My husband usually predicts them and is never wrong. This might sound easy, but the schools around here rarely call off, despite the severe weather.

The kids have strange rituals (to improve the odds) too - my kids believe in wearing your pjs backwards, flushing ice cubes down the toilet, and sleeping with a spoon under the pillow.

It all worked out great, because I have time to chat on Intercot. :woohoo: Does anyone else have favorite snowday activities or rituals?!

DVC2004
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
My kids were hoping we would have a snowday today but alas- the forecast and the actual snowfall were different. We were predicted to get 5-8 inches but we probably got 3-4 and the plows were out all night here in Northern IL. So it was back to school and work for us today! Bummer, but I am sure we will get our fare share later this winter.

CanadianWDWFan
12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
We got a whole two inches when they were calling for 6-8. Now it is raining and it is just plain miserable. We rarely get snow days here, but the school buses do stop running if there is anything over two inches.

This is just the start of it all.

caryrae
12-09-2009, 11:27 AM
We got snow here maybe 6-7 inches and still snowing a little but it is windy and cold right now about 9 degrees.

Ms. Mode
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
We have 60 degrees, but it's going to drop like a rock and start snowing by the weekend. I can't wait...I love it when it snows on the weekend...weekdays though I have to drive over the mountains to get to work:ack:

It snowed last weekend and I put my Christmas tree up!

RedSoxFan
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
We got about 3-4 inches of snow. Schools were open on time. My kids were bumming as all the neighboring school systems were on a 2 hr delay.

Zippy 1
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
We had 2 snow days right before Thanksgiving. The kids were all excited. We do not get many here. Today they were hoping for another but alas we got no more snow last night just sstuck with the 13 inches on the ground and a temperature of 23 below zero. That was at 5:30 AM. It is now a balmy 4 below zero. Not real normal temperatures for our area

Missy_Mouses_Dad
12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
We got 4-18 inches last night. DD14 stayed up researching a project on the computer until 11 figuring school was called off today. After midnight it turned to rain on our side of town. She was crabby, ornery, and didn't believe she had school.

KylesMom
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Our favorite Snow Day Rituals include board games - a lot of them! Clue, Scrabble, Scene It, Chess & Disney Trivial Pursuit!

My kids were hoping we would have a snowday today but alas- the forecast and the actual snowfall were different. We were predicted to get 5-8 inches but we probably got 3-4 and the plows were out all night here in Northern IL. So it was back to school and work for us today! DVC2004, I wouldn't hold your breath just yet - I just ran to the post office from my work location & it's getting NASTY out. Maybe our kids will get their snow day tomorrow! :snowball: In fact, my company just announced that they've ordered pizza for all of the employees since they don't want them on the roads!

bucky at disney
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
They called off school by 9:00 last night....unfourtunately I'm still at work today. Oh well....

The snow has stopped for now - but the wind is picking up and the temps are suppose to drop like a rock tonight! At least it's looking like a white Christmas.

SallyMcQueen
12-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Here in South Central Wisconsin we've got close to 18 inches of snow with it still coming down. Power went out for about 30 minutes this morning. Had to keep explaining to my 2 year old that we couldn't watch the movie because we have no power. There really is no explaining electricity to an unhappy 2 year old.

We've had such a mild winter then to get a huge dump on the first big snow fall is quite the initiation into winter.

I think we may need to have a snowball fight later!:snowball:

sportsguy2315
12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Snowday for the college kids too here in Southern MN :) The way I found out: a hand written sign on the bathroom door proclaiming: "Go back to bed" along with numerous signs throughout the dorm proclaiming no classes today.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Schools where I live had a "rock slide" day today. 4-5 inches of rain triggered rock slides on several mountains last night and forced many school systems to close today, but it's back to the grind tomorrow for the wife (a teacher).

Disney4us2
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
What is a snow day?:D JK.... We don't get any days off for weather. I grew up in Chicago so I remember snow days, but DD would have no clue. I am sure she would love it though. We have to drive up to the mountains to see snow.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-13-2009, 12:17 AM
My ritual for a snow day is to sit around and do nothing until I have to snow blow the driveway. Unless of course I suspected it was going to snow and planned ahead and brought my work home with me. It's great to be able to work remotely, but it kind of stinks too. Unless I lose power in which case I can't work. Hummmm, do I want to pray for a power outage=no work, but also = no heat!

Lakin
12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
In fact, my company just announced that they've ordered pizza for all of the employees since they don't want them on the roads!

Score for you! :thumbsup:

beksy
12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I loved snowdays growing up. I would camp out in front of the t.v. watching the local channel which always seemed to have boring stuff on it (we thought they had boring program stored away to put on when it started snowing just to irritate us kids!). My county was always THE LAST to close, usually waiting until morning, but I still watched that t.v. all evening. When I graduated my sister started doing the watching (she's 6 years younger and was still in school) but she had it lucky--she could just watch the updates on the internet and surf the internet at the same time. I think it must be a form of cheating! :cool: When we had snowdays, our parents were at work most of the time and I would plan "special" activities. We would pull out Mom's old records and play them while we danced :dance: around and had a picnic in the family room with PB & J, chips, etc. Beka always thought these were the best days. Now I never get snowdays (at least that's the rumor and it held true last year). I'm at WVU and sometimes the professors will cancel class but the school never closes. Apparently one time many years ago they did and the students had a huge party :pizza: :drummer: :cheers: causing many complaints from Morgantown citizens. So I don't bother watching anymore. :pout: