PDA

View Full Version : Just back from AKL

sassy2000
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
This was our 1st stay at AKL, (or any deluxe) and all I can say is WOW! I've always wanted to stay here and I'm so happy we did. We had a pool view room on the 3rd floor. We pretty much could see a portion of the kiddie pool and that was it. The rest of the view was trees. But it was definitely better then looking out on a parking lot. Our room was right next to the elevator on the zebra trail. Stepping out of our room and looking to the left was a window to view the animals. It was almost as good as having a savannah view without the extra payment... The lobby was beautiful. The Christmas tree towering up was breathtaking. My kids loved having the zero-depth entry pool and my DD 2 even got on the water slide. (Even though my DS 5 refused) The quick-service Mara is alot smaller then the values and mods but the food was really good.We only used the bus service twice but it was never a long wait.
I would love to try the other deluxes but I would be happy to just come back to AKL.

KatMark
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the review; we're hoping to do a split stay with AKL and the CSR on our next trip and your review just makes us want to try it more.

Dsnygirl
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
We stayed at AKL for the first time in October and loved it, too... we were also off the Zebra Trail! Glad you enjoyed it... we can't wait to go back!! :cloud9:

lockedoutlogic
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Animal Kingdom Lodge is the best resort Disney has ever built....details at 11

(okay...i've used this one about a dozen times....but it never gets old...and it is most likely correct)

RedSoxFan
12-09-2009, 07:30 AM
We loved our stay at AKL too. It's a lovely resort.:mickey:

Gator
12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Makes me look forward to our trip: 41 days. It's getting hard to handle the suspense.

pox24
12-09-2009, 04:28 PM
So great you had a good time. That hotel is a special place.

MinnieMommie
12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
There isn't anything about AKL I don't love. It is beautifully detailed and when I am there I really have the sense of being away from it all. The staff is so pleasant and helpful too. I'm glad you liked it there too. :mickey:

hannahandkalebmom
12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Glad you loved it! It is one of my favorite resorts too. We will be there in 51 days. YAH!!!:mickey:

JabberJaws
12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I have stayed in almost all of the WDW resorts (only ones I haven't stayed in are GF, Contemp, PORS, OKW and the boardwalk area resorts: BW, Y/BC) and AKL is BY FAR and away mine and my wife's favorite. We make it a point to visit AKL every trip even if we aren't staying there.

Also, Jiko's is probably my favorite WDW restaurant.

Djscherr
12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I would have to second loving this resort. For our trip in January my brother told me that he had some bad news, that we couldn't get a room at Port Orleans because they were sold out so he had to get us a room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. After a bit of silence I asked him, "So what's the bad news?" :)

BluewaterBrad
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

AvaNellMouse
12-13-2009, 07:08 AM
For those of you traveling to AKL soon, please make the trek to Kidani and dine at Sanaa. Don't bother taking the bus from Jambo to Kidani - it is a very short walk.

The food? Amazing!!! It is an African twist on Indian food. Try the bread course and do not miss the chai creme for dessert.

We tried it for our mid-day break and enjoyed a wonderful lunch. The savannah adjacent to the restaurant was very, very active. We saw giraffe, ostrich, water buffalo and cranes.

Do not miss this new addition to the WDW dining offerings! :thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
12-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I have stayed in almost all of the WDW resorts (only ones I haven't stayed in are GF, Contemp, PORS, OKW and the boardwalk area resorts: BW, Y/BC) and AKL is BY FAR and away mine and my wife's favorite. We make it a point to visit AKL every trip even if we aren't staying there.

Also, Jiko's is probably my favorite WDW restaurant.

that's kinda a "big" chunk of resorts you're leaving out there....

but i agree that Jiko is no worse than the top 3 as far as restaurants on property...and the AKL is a truly "unique" resort that delivers on all fronts (fiberglass tiki torches, totem pools, and views of fireworks out of the window don't really fit what i would call truly "unique"....those Okapis are real out there)

lockedoutlogic
12-13-2009, 11:36 PM
For those of you traveling to AKL soon, please make the trek to Kidani and dine at Sanaa. Don't bother taking the bus from Jambo to Kidani - it is a very short walk.

The food? Amazing!!! It is an African twist on Indian food. Try the bread course and do not miss the chai creme for dessert.

We tried it for our mid-day break and enjoyed a wonderful lunch. The savannah adjacent to the restaurant was very, very active. We saw giraffe, ostrich, water buffalo and cranes.

Do not miss this new addition to the WDW dining offerings! :thumbsup:

that's fantastic....only 50 days from out 8 nights there and we are way anticipating Sanaa...something different....let them not eat FILET, SALMON, CHICKEN BREAST!!