PDA

View Full Version : Sharing of meals for Gastric Bypass Patient

POOH_BEAR
12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Okay...I need to preface that this is a long question w/multiple parts.

Also, let me explain the reason for my questions--I had Gastric Bypass Surgery about 3 months ago (down +55 lbs!!) and the type and amount of food I am able to eat. Also, I'm not really able to eat most desserts (not able to have sugar). We have the DDP (booked that over 8 months ago when I booked our trip). So...here it goes...

Is it common for two adults to share meals? Can it only be done with menu style restaurants or can it be done with the buffet?
If on the DDP can I ask to order from the children's menu?
I hate the thought of ordering a $20+ entree and only being able to eat just a very small portion of it. Or...on the buffet, I'll never be able to eat enough to "get my money' worth"

Has anyone else ever been through this and have any advise?

Thanks!

ElenitaB
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the success you're having! :thumbsup:

In your current situation, the dining plan may not be the best option for you. You will be able to share meals, but not at buffets. Each person pays their way at a buffet or at a "family-style" meal (such as Garden Grille, breakfast at the Castle or the famed skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe). On the dining plan at a TS restaurant, you should be able to order from the kid's menu but you will still be charged adult's prices.

Unless there are many people in your party who would be able to fully use the DP, you might do better without it (and might get a better room rate too).

Good luck and keep up the great work!

SBETigg
12-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I answered the same as Ellen when you asked this question in the dining forum. The new thing I would add is that it might not be too late to drop the dining plan if you're not sure it's the right call for you. It might be too late if you're five days out. I know you can drop it with two weeks in advance of travel. But you might want to look into it. If you're sharing meals and ordering kids menu, you will probably not fully benefit from the plan (except for having it paid in advance, which is always nice for us).

POOH_BEAR
12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the advise. I've kept my DDP for our trip (just 2 more days!!!) but will see how I get along and if need be, can cancel it for our next trip in May 2010. :mickey:

Lelandmm
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I just got back, I had RNY GB in 2004, and I was a "cash meal" person.

Normally when we go to theme parks, the Fiance and I get a combo meal (two meats like ribs/chicken) an extra side, and we share a drink.
This lets me have some meat, a side or part of it, and we spend less.
We can typically eat lunch at Busch Gardens for $25 or less for the 2 of us.

However, I did notice that there were not many things to share at some of the places we stopped. (all counter service places)

Most of the kids meals were not very GB friendly. Fried chicken nuggets or mac n cheese and fries.
Depending on how sensitive you are, the kiddy choices might make you sick.

I am so far out now, nothing much bothers me any more. I do still have a slightly smaller capacity, but there wasn't a counter service meal at WDW that I couldn't finish.

Now, you may find other options if you do table service. We just didn't want to commit to a table service meal and then not even be in that park at that time. We are just moment to moment theme parkers.

Best Wishes on your success with RNY GB!
My best advice is DO YOUR FOLLOW UP THINGS!
I fell into a trap where after I had it, my insurance stopped covering it, so my doc wouldn't see me. So I dont get followups.

I hope you realize that you will enjoy theme parks much much more and more as you get more comfortable in those ride seats!!!

ElenitaB
12-14-2009, 08:24 PM
If you take some time and go through the CS kid's meals menus online, you'll find that many quick service restaurants do offer things beyond the normal chicken nuggets and burgers. For example, Columbia Harbour House, Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bill in the MK have salads with grilled chicken; in Epcot, you can get a chicken wrap at Sunshine Seasons and the Electric Umbrella or a chicken quesadilla at the Cantina de San Angel; in DHS, the ABC Commissary offers a turkey sandwich, Backlot Express "meaty macaroni," the Studio Catering Company offers a roast chicken drumstick. You can get a drumstick at FlameTree BBQ at the AK (I'm fond of their fruit plate). Granted, you'll end up eating a lot of chicken but if you balance out the CS meals with table service choices (where there are plenty of great options on both the adult and kid's menus), you should be fine!