PDA

View Full Version : Helmets When Sledding

Stitchahula
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I figured since we just got our first snow fall and I was thinking of it I would let you know what I was told last year. A little girl in my sons kindergarten class broke her arm while sledding and the first the the ED doctor asked was "was she wearing a helmet". We always think to make them wear helmets when skateboarding, riding bicycles, things like that but forget to when it comes to sledding. They can get just as hurt if not more so when sledding so please remember the helmets this winter.:thumbsup:

beksy
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
This is so true. Yesterday my cousin had a sledding accident and wasn't wearing a helmet. He ended up with a fractured skull and was really lucky that it wasn't worse. He is still in the hospital not able to eat or drink. Please wear helmets!

olivegirl
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
My DD ALWAYS wears a hat sledding!! To me it is no difference if you are riding a bike, scooter, skateboard etc...... It only takes one fall..........and their lives AND your are changed forever!!!

Zippy 1
12-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Helmets save lives. My DD who is now 15 could have been seriously injured if she had not had a helmet on when sledding for the first time in the moutains when she was 3. An out of control sled came flying at us and took her out. We were lucky just a few bruises but thank goodness for the helmet!!

disney obsessed
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Amen.

We are coming up to the one year anniversary of my daughters boyfriend dying from a head injury skateboarding down a hill he had been down several times before.

Please wear helmets.

brownie
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I had a concussion from sledding when I was in high school, so I think a helmet can be a very good idea depending on the environment.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
My DD ALWAYS wears a hat sledding!! To me it is no difference if you are riding a bike, scooter, skateboard etc...... It only takes one fall..........and their lives AND your are changed forever!!!

I'm hoping you meant a helmet, not just a hat?

Stitchahula, don't forget to find a helmet that fits my little guy's head before the next snowfall.

mrsgaribaldi
12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Everything that I did when I was younger requires helmets and safety equipment now. I grew up on a dead end hill and we sent sledding all the time. Once it was a sheet of ice and we got stuck in grooves and I went head first into a pole. Lucky for me I wasn't seriously hurt. Bike riding too, slipped on gravel and spilled into traffic. The bike was ruined and I had a wicked lump on my leg but narrowly missed being hit by a car. As an adult, I shudder when I think of how lucky I was. Something so simple and people still don't always do it.

Stitchahula
12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
no kidding I would never allow my boys to do some of the things we did when I was younger. We used to try to take ski jumps with an 8 person taboggan. I ended up being run over by it.:blush: