PDA

View Full Version : a question about extra "adults"...

mom2morgan
12-05-2009, 11:00 AM
what does Disney consider an adult, when it comes to rooms? I was looking at AKL room rates and saw "An extra $25 per night for more than 2 adults". Now, on the dining plan and for park tickets, my 10 and 16 year old children are considered "adults". Is that true for rooms as well?

Strmchsr
12-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Not 100% sure, but I think it's 18 to count as an adult in a room.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I believe that "kids" 17 and under aren't charged the extra "adult" rate at the resorts.

I know your 10-year old isn't charged, our now 11-year old DD didn't result in any extra room fees last year!

#1donaldfan
12-05-2009, 11:54 AM
....we are in the process of adding one 16 year old to a room and there is a charge, however I don't know the exact $$ amount, as it's all one price since we added the park hoppers....it's a shame too, as I thought the rooms we based on double occupancy ... oh well, it'll still be fun...:mickey:

magicofdisney
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
18 and older are considered adults in the room.

For the dining plan and tickets, 10 and older are considered adults.

mom2morgan
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
....we are in the process of adding one 16 year old to a room and there is a charge, however I don't know the exact $$ amount, as it's all one price since we added the park hoppers....it's a shame too, as I thought the rooms we based on double occupancy ... oh well, it'll still be fun...:mickey:
How many total people do you have? What ages? im trying to figure this out since it seems a little different from what other posters are saying. Anyway - 10 is an adult to eat. 18 is an adult to stay in a room. 21 is an adult to enter night clubs and order alcohol. Does it seem a little random, and, well...."goofy"?

TammiMcMan
12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
The maximum number of adults you can have in any one standard room, is 2. An adult is anyone 18 and over. If you want to add an additional adult, there is a fee. For values, it's $10 more per night, moderates is $15 more per night and deluxes are $25 more per night on top of the regular room rate.

In your case, AKL holds 4 in a standard room. These are some examples of charges:

Mom & Dad + 16 year old + 11 year old = Standard room rate @ number of nights
Mom & Dad + 18 year old + 11 year old = Standard room rate + $25 @ number of nights

They wouldn't charge a nightly fee for a 16 year old, I'm guessing the charges donaldfan mentioned, are for adding them to an existing plan.

In regards to ages, I do wish they had a "junior" for 10-17 year olds (and 21 is a state law, not Disney discretion ;) )

mom2morgan
12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
The maximum number of adults you can have in any one standard room, is 2. An adult is anyone 18 and over. If you want to add an additional adult, there is a fee. For values, it's $10 more per night, moderates is $15 more per night and deluxes are $25 more per night on top of the regular room rate.

In your case, AKL holds 4 in a standard room. These are some examples of charges:

Mom & Dad + 16 year old + 11 year old = Standard room rate @ number of nights
Mom & Dad + 18 year old + 11 year old = Standard room rate + $25 @ number of nights

They wouldn't charge a nightly fee for a 16 year old, I'm guessing the charges donaldfan mentioned, are for adding them to an existing plan.

In regards to ages, I do wish they had a "junior" for 10-17 year olds (and 21 is a state law, not Disney discretion ;) )

yep, I know about the state law part, but the rest is odd. Considering a 10 year old an "adult' to go on rides and eat meals even while acknowledging they are NOT adults when it comes to a room reservation is strange. And if state law is that 21 is the age of majority, why consider an 18 year old an "adult" for any billing purposes? but I'd definitely like to see the idea of a "Jr" age for dining. My 10 year old daughter barely at ANYTHING for her $39/day.

CleveRocks
12-05-2009, 11:17 PM
As far as Disney resort accomodations go, there are 4 age groups: infant, child, junior, and adult.

An infant has not yet reached the 3rd birthday.

A child is ages 3 through 9 (not yet reached the 10th birthday).

A junior is ages 10 through 17 (not yet reached the 18th birthday).

An adult is age 18 and over.

Regardless of the room occupancy limits, they always allow one infant in addition to the normal occupancy limit. So when I talk rules/limits below, please keep in mind that a child who's not yet reached his/her 3rd birthday can also be in that same room for no extra charge.

A room with a king-size bed can be ONLY for 2 people ... 2 adults ... 1 adult and 1 junior ... 1 adult and 1 child ... whatever.

A room that has an occupancy limit of 4 people can have 2 adults + 2 juniors, or 2 adults + 1 junior + 1 child, or 1 adult + 2 juniors + 1 child, and so on ... all the same price.

You will NEVER be charged the "extra person" fee for having your under-18 teenagers in your room.

The extra fee is for, for example, 3 adults ... in that case, you pay an extra per-night fee for that 3rd adult.

Of course, if you booked a PACKAGE (a package includes tickets and optionally the Dining Plan), adding your 16 year old will cost more, as you added ticket and perhaps Dining Plan cost. But there is no extra charge in terms of the ROOM RATE for adding that 16 year old to your room. And of course, you can't add a 16 year old to your room if it'll put you over the room occupancy limit.

if any of this doesn't make sense or is unclear, please ask!!!:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
12-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Children 17 and younger are classified by disney as "Juniors"....

they still pay full ticket and meal prices....but they don't count as extras towards room counts

TammiMcMan
12-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Just to clarify, our "junior" discussion was not about room occupancy, but directed towards tickets and dining plan prices ;) .

SBETigg
12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
yep, I know about the state law part, but the rest is odd. Considering a 10 year old an "adult' to go on rides and eat meals even while acknowledging they are NOT adults when it comes to a room reservation is strange. And if state law is that 21 is the age of majority, why consider an 18 year old an "adult" for any billing purposes? but I'd definitely like to see the idea of a "Jr" age for dining. My 10 year old daughter barely at ANYTHING for her $39/day.

This isn't just Disney. This is industry standards. It makes perfect sense because the situations vary depending on age. Hotels will make considerations as to who is actually "adult" depending on the age you would have to be legally get the room to yourself. You wouldn't want your 10 year old checking in as an adult. At 18, they could responsibly (supposedly) do so. They have to be 21 to drink, but not to vote, fight in wars, or check in to a hotel.

10 is the age for adult dining, because many 10 year olds can and want to eat an adult dinner (though I think just as many still want the kids meal, and 12 makes more sense, but whatever). You wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of your 10-17 year old kid having to eat off the kids menu at every meal, right? That doesn't work. And for park admission, most rides go by height but logically by a certain age, they can go on most if not all height restricted rides, so they get charged adult price for taking up the same space on the rides. Can you imagine making them wait until they turned 18 to eat an adult meal or go on the bigger rides? Now that would be silly.

It all makes sense because people reach certain milestones applicable to different things at different ages. And of course if they're eating like an adult, riding like an adult, they'll be charged as an adult. But if they're staying in your hotel room under 18, they're still your kids and shouldn't be charged as adults (but some hotels not at WDW will charge for extra people in a room beyond two adults regardless of age-- so actually, WDW is showing families some consideration here).

TammiMcMan
12-06-2009, 11:01 AM
10 is the age for adult dining, because many 10 year olds can and want to eat an adult dinner (though I think just as many still want the kids meal, and 12 makes more sense, but whatever). You wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of your 10-17 year old kid having to eat off the kids menu at every meal, right?For the dining plan, it would be nice if parents had a choice, especially since kids are so different. Pay "junior" to order off the kids menu and pay "adult" to order off the adult menu.

In regards to park prices, I know there are attractions in our area that have a junior price. It doesn't even have to be a huge discount, just enough that people feel like they are getting a break. It will never happen though, so probably not even worth discussing.

mom2morgan
12-06-2009, 11:13 AM
They have to be 21 to drink, but not to vote, fight in wars, or check in to a hotel.

That part has always boggled me, because it makes NO sense to tell a kid they are old enough to choose a government or die for their country, but not to have a drink. But that's just what I'm used to, since the legal age for EVERYTHING is 18 here. You mention different "milestones" but I can't see why having a glass of wine would require a higher level of maturity that pointing a gun at another person and deciding whether to pull the trigger! ;-)

10 is the age for adult dining, because many 10 year olds can and want to eat an adult dinner

I've honestly never met one. Yes, My daughter likes the adult food, but portions are much, much smaller. You're talking about a 70 pound human being, after all! Now, for a teenage boy, I'm sure they can pack away more than most adults....but my daughter? She never had more than 5-10 bites of food per meal

SBETigg
12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
That part has always boggled me, because it makes NO sense to tell a kid they are old enough to choose a government or die for their country, but not to have a drink. But that's just what I'm used to, since the legal age for EVERYTHING is 18 here. You mention different "milestones" but I can't see why having a glass of wine would require a higher level of maturity that pointing a gun at another person and deciding whether to pull the trigger! ;-)

I agree that the kid meal age makes more sense at 12 than at 10. Maybe they were looking for uniformity in park admission/meal ages? Or it could end up that meal choices swayed it- maybe the limited kids meal choices don't please a lot of ten year old palates? I don't know. But my point was that I could definitely understand the disparity at what constitutes an adult for hotel rooms vs meals/park admissions.

The 18/21 legal thing is certainly debatable. I don't want to debate the logic of it because that could take us way off topic and I have mixed feelings, as I'm sure many of us do. As Tammi said and you agreed earlier, that's not something up to WDW but FL state law, so maybe we should stick to discussing what WDW sets as standards. I think many of us would agree to raise the kids meal age, and why not park admission age, to 12 vs 10, or to have a junior price as Tammi suggests. That sounds great to me.

Added thought-- if they did institute a "junior" to the pricing tier, that would probably be added as a hotel charge, too, so would we gain or lose if we had to pay extra per junior in hotels? I guess it depends on what "junior" price levels were settled on.

#1donaldfan
12-06-2009, 09:08 PM
How many total people do you have? What ages? im trying to figure this out since it seems a little different from what other posters are saying. Anyway - 10 is an adult to eat. 18 is an adult to stay in a room. 21 is an adult to enter night clubs and order alcohol. Does it seem a little random, and, well...."goofy"?

....our entire party will be around 20 people, but my previous thread was in reference to adding a 16 year old to a room with two adults only, and Disney did charge extra for the room...I'll have to do the math, but my / our initial "thoughts" on the total don't add up to what we figured the hoppers would've been.... it's not a great amount, so we may have forgotten some tax, fee, or who knows what....:confused:

TammiMcMan
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
but my previous thread was in reference to adding a 16 year old to a room with two adults only, and Disney did charge extra for the room...I'll have to do the mathI would just doublecheck with them on the breakdown for the package, because there is definitely no additional room fee involved. Make sure they didn't charge you for an upgraded room view or something. Weird things happen when you make changes through CRO.

Fangorn
12-06-2009, 11:03 PM
On the "Junior" topic:
I don't know about WDW, but decades ago there was a "Junior" price level for tickets at Disneyland. This was back during the era of individual tickets for the attractions. They had "Child", "Junior" and "Adult" tickets. If I remember correctly, "Child" was 3-9, "Junior" was 10 to 17 and "Adult" was 18 and over. They also had a "General Admission" ticket that got you into the park, but didn't give you any tickets for any attractions

Steve
:mickey:

#1donaldfan
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I would just doublecheck with them on the breakdown for the package, because there is definitely no additional room fee involved. Make sure they didn't charge you for an upgraded room view or something. Weird things happen when you make changes through CRO.

....good thinking...I'll do just that....I was sure there was no additional charges in reference to the room...THANKS !!:cool: