PDA

View Full Version : EPCOT monorail to MK

AirlineGuy07
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
I've heard people say that when staying at BC and BW they walk to the EPCOT monorail to take it to the MK via TTC. We will be renting a car plus have two kids 2 and 5. Does anyone think taking the EPCOT monorail would be better than driving? Thanks!

SBETigg
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I think driving would be better with two young kids. I'm guessing people walk through Epcot to take the monorail for the novelty of taking the monorail and not for ease or convenience. I can't imagine taking two little ones for that long walk through the park, then a wait for the monorail, the ride, a transfer of monorails... when you could just drive and be there (with the monorail or ferry from there to the park). There is also a bus from your resort to MK. This would even be easier than the monorail from Epcot when staying at one of those resorts, I think. (My opinion, from having never stayed at either of those resorts).

teambricker04
12-04-2009, 04:02 PM
We did a two week vacation at BC in May08 when my DSs were 3yo and just about 1yo at the time. The older on walked nearly the entire time, but we did have an umbrella stroller. He made the hike through EPCOT to MK and back just fine. Our last trip we had a car and it was as much of a pain as walking through EPCOT and taking the monorail. Generally it ends up being a huge hike through the lot to find your car and if you take the tram, you have to fold up the strollers.

Now my oldest is nearly 5 and he would never ride in a stroller, but I know he would happily walk through any park to get to MK with out a single complaint.

CanadianWDWFan
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Just a word of caution here. We do the walk through Epcot to get to MK sometimes and everytime at the MK gates we have trouble scanning our passes. There is a 30 minute time limit from when you scan into your first park (Epcot) and park hop to your second (MK). You will be allowed into MK but the Gate CM will have to admit you manually since your pass card won't automatically do it.

SBETigg
12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Just a word of caution here. We do the walk through Epcot to get to MK sometimes and everytime at the MK gates we have trouble scanning our passes. There is a 30 minute time limit from when you scan into your first park (Epcot) and park hop to your second (MK). You will be allowed into MK but the Gate CM will have to admit you manually since your pass card won't automatically do it.

Good point, Brian. If you do this, you need to have the park hopper option for admission.

So if driving is as much a hassle as walking through to the monorail, what about the buses? How are the buses from these resorts to the MK?

CleveRocks
12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I clocked it once using satellite imagery ... the walk from Beach Club through Epcot to the Epcot monorail platform is just over one mile.

So you're walking a mile, then waiting for a train, then riding the train, then getting off the train, then walking down from the platform then up onto another platform, and then waiting for another train, and then riding that train .... You get the idea.

And the walking through Epcot strategy won't work if you want to get to Magic Kingdom at or before opening, as some people like to do.

Also, of course, this would all be impossible unless you have the park hopper option on your ticket, as you'll be entering two theme parks on the same day.

I've never driven at WDW, but I'm quite certain I'd rather drive to MK than do what you are thinking of doing. Just my two cents.:mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
12-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Good point, Brian. If you do this, you need to have the park hopper option for admission.

So if driving is as much a hassle as walking through to the monorail, what about the buses? How are the buses from these resorts to the MK?
The buses actually were quite efficient. it took something like 15-20 minutes to get to MK and that is after stopping at the Swan and Dolphin. This was from BW.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I agree, the bus to MK is (usually) an easier alternative, since it is the only way to get dropped off right at the park-gate. If you drive early enough, you can walk from the parking lot to the TTC, but then you'll still have to take the monorail or the ferry. If you park far away from the TTC, you have to add the tram into the mix.

kemps@wdw
12-04-2009, 11:12 PM
It woud be more fun!:D

bruin1344
12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Unless you've never been on a monorail and want to check it out, or enjoy riding the monorail or love walking through Epcot, take the bus to MK. It is a hike from BC/BW.

Scar
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I usually do this because I hate the busses and I'm rarely in a hurry. I've never had a problem with my pass and quite frankly, I can't see how you can make it from the International gateway to MK in 30 mins. CanadianWDWFan must have walked very fast and caught both monorails with no wait. I must admit though, I really only do this in the first couple of days. I walk a lot at WDW and by the last few days my legs start to hurt, as I'm sure most people can attest to.

wdwfansince75
12-05-2009, 12:54 PM
While I love the Monorail, it seems to me that the easiest, and most certainly the fastest transportation between BC/YC/BW and the MK would be the buses. They ain't really that bad.....
Since your approach would take you through two park entrances, including security check and ticket machines, and would put you through the TTC, if you insist on trying this, do not do it for park opening, or even later in the AM....
Instead, if you want to experience the Monorail....Take the bus to MK in the AM, then use the monorails in the early PM to visit EPCOT, putting you that much closer to your resort at the end of the day....just a short walk from the International Showcase to your resort...Still does require Park Hoppers to do two parks in one day.

CanadianWDWFan
12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I can't see how you can make it from the International gateway to MK in 30 mins. CanadianWDWFan must have walked very fast and caught both monorails with no wait.
This has happened on numerous occasions, it wasn't a one time deal. While I don't recall exactly how long it took us, I am using the 30 minutes since that is what the CM's have all told us about using our passes at two parks.