PDA

View Full Version : Marathon week in Jan

Dyanna
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Planning a trip Jan of 2011. Can anyone tell me what its like in the parks during the marathon. Do the runners actually run thru them? What are the crowds like etc. Should I stay away from this week/event altogether? Thanks!

goofyskier
11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
The week of the marathon is not that bad. We were there in January 2007 and January 2008 and each time, the only inconvience was waiting to cross the street at MGM (Now Disney's Hollywood Studio's) until there was break in the runners. This was not even a minor inconvience as the runners were so spaced out that you just crossed when advised to do so. I would give yourself a little extra time to get to the parks as the buses do run alternate routes during the Marathon. All in all, I find this the best time to go. Have fun.

Melanie
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
The week after the marathon is heavenly. Cannot recommend it enough! Marathon weekend is very manageable. Races start early and end early. Like previous poster mentioned, Hollywood Studios and Epcot are the two most affected parks on Sunday. In fact, I'd just plan to stay away from Epcot that morning. Go! It's a great week!

teambricker04
11-30-2009, 08:35 PM
DH ran the race last year... it was GREAT! The only hard part was getting to EPCOT the day of the race (We were at FW). The crowds were light before hand and beyond light the following week. Don't be fooled that the runners don't go to the parks... you will see a ton of them! DH was showered and rested by lunch time and we were back at the park before 11 day of the race. They do cut the slow racers off... there is a time limit, so there isn't anything going on after lunch.

It is so much fun just to see who runs a marathon... I was shocked. So shocked infact that I am going to run my first half marathon this summer!

Hair_Razor
11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
We've been twice during marathon in 09 and 08, both were perfect. It was actually kind of cool to see the runners and cheer them on.

Tinkerfreak
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
When is the marathon in January?

faline
12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
When is the marathon in January?

January 9 and 10.