PDA

View Full Version : Non-Disney accommodations?

Mary Chase
11-29-2009, 09:08 PM
I just got back from my trip to Disney and while I enjoy staying onsite, I am thinking of staying offsite next time. I'd like to hear some recommendations of some good places to stay. We usually stay at the moderate resorts, so I'm okay with that price range - I'd just like a little more for my money - multiple bedrooms, possible kitchen, nice pool (along the same lines as the pools at the moderates). Of course, I want to be as close to the Disney property as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

andreallybadeggs
11-29-2009, 09:28 PM
We've enjoyed our stays at Orange Lake and Sheraton Vistana, and my brother just returned from World Quest and thought it was a beautiful resort. Our preference is still to stay on property but when we have a bigger group we often opt for a condo to stretch those vacation dollars. One thing we would not consider, though, is staying off property without our own transportation. Off site shuttles are not for us.
Two words of advice if you stay off:
1) Avoid the extra magic hours parks
2) Assuming you drive (again, would not want to rely on off-property shuttles) don't forget to budget for parking fees. Think the cost is $14 per day now.

disneyboundagain
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
We always stay off-site for the first three days of our vacation while we go to the "other" places. I just can't justify $600 a night to not go to the Disney parks. We always stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton just off International Drive. It might be a little far to go to Disney every day, though. It's about a 20 minute drive to MK. We get a full kitchen, a living room, a separate bedroom, and a free breakfast (real breakfast, not pastries) for about $110 a night. DW made the reservations for this year, so I don't know exactly how much we paid this time.

peemagg
11-30-2009, 06:13 AM
We have rented a 7 bedroom/6 bath house with its own pool from All Star Vacation Homes in the past. We loved it! It even had it's own game room and they gave you credit towards a rental car if you stayed there for a week.

passholderryan
11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Look up "Mike Ditkas Runaway Beach Resort". I think its the second exit from Disney off Osceola Pkwy. You can get mulitple bedrooms, with game room lofts. Great pool and lots of good restraunts neearby. Well worth the price (89-129).

grumpypima
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
We like the Doubletree at Downtown Disney. It's an all-suite hotel. There is a thin room divider between the bedroom/bath area and the living room/small kitchenette area. The living room/kitchenette area has a sofa sleeper and its own T.V.

The pool area is good. It has a pool and hot tub. There is a grill & bar located within the pool area. It also has a game room. The game room is mediocre.

We stay in the Downtown Disney area our first night and usually do not do the parks; so I can't comment on the bus service but I do know they have it.

KLud
12-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I second the suggestion for Worldquest. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath unit with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. It also included a screened in porch. I thought that the proximity to the property was fantastic and you just can't beat the price for what you get.
They do have a continental breakfast (just okay) and a pool bar with food (highly recommend you do not eat there!)
All in all, clean, close and affordable!