PDA

View Full Version : Dining Review: Ohana

Mr.K
11-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I have seen many mixed reviews of Ohana, and having eaten there recently, (Thanksgiving 2009) decided to chime in.

First let me say that we ate at Ohana in 2007 and thought it was fab. Great food, great service, great atmosphere.

This past trip however, was not even close.

I specifically wanted my family and friends (16 of us) to enjoy an exotic and fun place for Thanksgiving. I bragged about the diverse food options, peel-n-eat shrimp, the grilled meats, etc.

Maybe this was my fault for not doing enough research, but when we showed up, we discovered they had a "special" menu on Thanksgiving day, of traditional Thanksgiving food. Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, and green beans, along with the Ohana tossed green salad and Ohana bread pudding.

I was shocked and disappointed. The food quality was good. Nothing to write home about, but nothing even remotely a wow. I know when I made my reservation by phone months ago there was no mention of a special menu.

Worse however, was the utterly disappointing service. The table which we were given was sized for 12 at the most - we were a group of 16. Every chair touched another, knees knocked and elbows clanged against one another. A complaint got us nowhere.

No wait staff greeted us, took drink orders, etc, for over 20 minutes. During this time, salad was dropped off (not by our waiter) and we didn't even all have plates or silverware. Before we got any drinks or we all had plates, two small trays (not enough for 16 people) of hot food were dropped off, with no serving utensils. So those of us who had plates and forks have been using them on the salad and now we were expected to serve the hot foods with our hands? Eventually, we took a spare set of forks/knives from an empty table next to us to serve food - the same small empty table they had refused to pull up and add to our large table so we could all fit in comfortably.

We complained over and over and eventually got a manager, who promised he would address it, but the service got no better. More food eventually came, but this time with plastic forks to serve the green beans. Not plastic serving forks...regular small plastic picnic forks. wierd.

We were almost completely finished with dinner before any drinks arrived, in paper to-go cups. We were routinely ignored for long periods of time after this as we finished the bread pudding, which was good, but again, nothing special.

We asked the manager if they were short staffed and he said no, everyone showed up for work that night.

We talked to people at nearby tables and they had similar experiences that night. We got to know them as we wanted salt and pepper and had to borrow some from them, as we had none on our table despite asking for them from our waiter.

The manager did eventually agree to take off the mandatory 18% gratuity after several rounds of complaining.

I am unsure what is going on at Ohana, but something is seriously wrong. For an expensive table service meal to have such poor service, plastic forks and paper cups - it just seems like a crazy person is running the show.

Food - good but forgettable.
Service - definitely the worst we have ever had in our lives.

SBETigg
11-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Sad to hear it! There certainly should have been mention of the special menu, and bad service kills the most promising dinner experience. Thanks for sharing your experience. Wish it was better news.

Bass T-bone
11-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Yes I know it shouldn't matter, but a crowd of 16 would really put an eating establisment to the test. Perhaps your experience would have been better with a smaller group.

BluewaterBrad
11-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear about that.:mickey:

wildernesslady
11-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear about the service. I will be there on Wed. and will let you know about the service. They probably thought you would be thrilled with a Thanksgiving meal on the holiday, but I know I would be disappointed on not have the regular menu. You really should have been informed. Atleast the food was good. Hope you had a great trip with all the family.

DizneyRox
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
And all they removed was the "mandatory" 18% gratuity. Amazing! The whole meal should have been comped, I'd write a letter (not an e-mail) of complaint.

Mr.K
11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes I know it shouldn't matter, but a crowd of 16 would really put an eating establisment to the test. Perhaps your experience would have been better with a smaller group.

We were at different times a group ranging from 9 to 17 all week at various meals and had excellent service all week, except for Ohana.

A Big Kid
11-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I love O'hana - IN THEORY. In practice, it misses the mark for me. We have neve been sat on time, despite ADRS. One time in particular, we arrived 20 minutes early, only to be seated 45 minutes past our ADR!

While being led to our table (45 minutes late), imagine our surprise to find out half of the dining room was closed.

The meat, while plentiful, was rather drab and unseasoned.

I wont even mention the lady who crawled under our table to get a coconut that her daughter thought had "eyes."

GreenBeetle
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Absolutely unacceptable service! And plastic utensils and paper cups!! On a special Holiday at Disney!! I just can't believe the disaster you experienced. I don't think I would have been able to keep my cool during that fiasco. :thedolls: :blowup:

You made those reservations in plenty of time for O'Hana to be expecting a party for 16. I do not agree that a party that size would be hard to handle. Disney is the place for Family Reunions, Weddings, etc. It's what they do! I have no sympathy for Disney in this case. I say write, email, call, talk to whoever will listen and tell them everything.

Maybe I just read this on a particularly bad day since I love Disney and usually give them the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe I'm just worried since we have our first ADR at O'Hana in January. Either way, I find your story very disturbing and unacceptable.

And I'm sorry for your disappointing Thanksgiving dinner. Bad Disney. :down:

KylesMom
11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow - that is terribly disappointing to hear how poorly your Thanksgiving dinner turned out. Notwithstanding the "special" menu, the whole affair sounds like a total debacle. Plasticware for serving and paper cups? What is that?!!!

Over the years, wait times and service have steadily declined at Ohana for us - but we still enjoy their traditional fare. At times, we've been kept waiting a full hour after our ADRs were scheduled for both dinner and breakfast, and at times the service has been sketchy. Just when we're ready to give up, the service improves and we have a wonderful time - hence why we continue to go back.

I agree, sharpen that pencil and write a letter to Disney - this is a prime example of what shouldn't happen at a deluxe resort restaurant! :(

LudwigVonDrake
11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Write a letter to Disney and state your complaints!!

lighteningqueen
11-30-2009, 01:04 AM
This is exactly why we will never go back. Meat was raw and just plain bad I won't eat raw they never refilled the salad as it was the only thing I ate for my 29.00. Brought tiny little bowls of the sides and only brought stuff we did not want like wings and broccoli which none of us eat. 5 at our table right by the entrance to where the food comes out and we were ignored all night long by our waitress. This was this past Dec 2008 Never ever go back. Very disappointed in service and food .

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
We were at different times a group ranging from 9 to 17 all week at various meals and had excellent service all week, except for Ohana.Right--the size of the group should have no bearing on service, unless the servers loosen their standards because they know they have the mandatory 18% gratuity. You said it best--some of the stuff you encountered there was just plain wierd. When you mentioned the paper cups and plastic forks, I thought maybe there might have been a dishwasher that was malfunctioning, but you would think that management and staff would have explained the situation if that was the case. :shake:

MOJoe
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
That is one of the worst reviews of a Disney restaurant i have ever read. It does certainly seem like a crazy person was in charge that day.
A meal at O'hanas is always an ordeal. If everything goes well, as it should, it is a festive, and overindulgent adventure. But when the food and service go bad, as it did that day, this is what you get. A long, tiresome, catastrophe of a meal.
Sorry to hear of this bad experience. And since complaining to the manager did nothing to improve the situation, i would agree with those who say you should write a letter to Disney.

artyboy
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
I've always had great luck at O'Hana's...but if I had gone through what you've described, I'd be writing a manager.

I took my family (a party of 8) to San Angel last year on Christmas Eve...the most inattentive, rude and lackluster service, cold and/or undercooked food...and no servers to be found when it was time to ask for service or a drink refill.

I called, wrote and emailed. They refunded, as they should have.

Disney Doll
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
We've always had great experiences at Ohana, but yeah if I had experienced what you described I'd be writing letters and complaining loudly. That's just unacceptable and since Ohana is one of my favorites it really disappoints me to hear about bad experiences.

wildernesslady
12-04-2009, 08:53 AM
We just ate there on Wed. 12/2. It was fabulous. Actually one of our best experiences there. Our waiter was great, the food was also. We were constantly getting refills on anything we needed. We had an 8:55 reservation and were seated at that exact time. We could not believe how busy it still was at that hour. We were worried about getting leftovers and being kicked out so they could close. We were never rushed and the food was fresh.

pdrlkr
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the Review! :eat:

tpalmer1031
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
We were at Ohanna in June 2007 with a group of 18 and were treated like kings--excellent service, large table and great food!! Has always been my fav--sorry to hear that!!

TheVBs
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm so sorry! You must have been so disappointed. :( That is really unbelievable. Something should have been done to make it right with the first complaint - let alone the several you had to make before they just removed gratuity. I have to agree with everyone else here. Don't give up, write a letter to Disney!