PDA

View Full Version : How many points do we need?

andreallybadeggs
11-27-2009, 07:30 PM
We are a day away from a final decision on BLT.
Everything in the packet of materials we brought home is based on 160 pts. DH says it's possible we may actually need 180 pts down the road (ie, when a grandchild or 2 arrives)
I'm sure we could find plenty of ways to use the extra points but at least for now that would be more frivolous than vacation planning practical.
So 3 questions:
1) If we can afford the extra points does it make sense to go ahead and purchase them now?
2) Have any of you ever felt that you were really wasting points and, if so, do you think trying to rent points is worth the effort?
3) How difficult is it to use the points wisely and keep the input/output balanced?
Thanks in advance for your insights.

HeyMoe
11-28-2009, 05:53 AM
We originally bought 160pts at SSR and we are now in the process of trying to purchase additional points through a resale. The only difference is that we're adding on significantly more than 20 points. If all you see yourself needing down the road is an additional 20 points then I would purchase them now if you can afford it. I don't believe Disney will allow you to purhcase only 20 points later on and I've never seen that amount available on the resale market. I think the minimum add on purchase is 50 points. I'm sure someone else on the board can confirm this.

DVC Mike
11-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't believe Disney will allow you to purhcase only 20 points later on and I've never seen that amount available on the resale market. I think the minimum add on purchase is 50 points. I'm sure someone else on the board can confirm this.

The minimum add-on from Disney is 25 points if you pay cash or 50 points if you finance.

DizneyRox
11-28-2009, 09:25 AM
First, really sit down and do the math. We say down and figured out about 10 ways till Sunday if we stay here one year we'll have this many points left over to use the next year and we can do this, or that, and borrow from this year, and do this and if we really needed to we could do this...

You basically want the minimum number of points to stay. I always say round up on accomodations however.

You may say, well, we will in a standard view studio, however like at the beach club, we found those room are EXTRMEMLY limited compared to the others, so at least a preferred studio was always necessary and sometimes even a one bedroom.

Make sure you take those unexpecteds into account.

What we ended up with was a very odd number at the Boardwalk which suited us very well for a number of years. We never lost a point and never needed to try to figure out how we were going to do it. Quite honestly, for a few years, if we didn't have DVC we wouldn't have been able to take a vacation.

Mrs Bus Driver
11-28-2009, 01:47 PM
First, really sit down and do the math. We say down and figured out about 10 ways till Sunday if we stay here one year we'll have this many points left over to use the next year and we can do this, or that, and borrow from this year, and do this and if we really needed to we could do this...

You basically want the minimum number of points to stay. I always say round up on accomodations however.

You may say, well, we will in a standard view studio, however like at the beach club, we found those room are EXTRMEMLY limited compared to the others, so at least a preferred studio was always necessary and sometimes even a one bedroom.

Make sure you take those unexpecteds into account.

What we ended up with was a very odd number at the Boardwalk which suited us very well for a number of years. We never lost a point and never needed to try to figure out how we were going to do it. Quite honestly, for a few years, if we didn't have DVC we wouldn't have been able to take a vacation.

I agree with what you say, be realistic about what you want. For example I know that when I buy most or all of my vacations will include my DD and future hubby. We can make due with a 1 bedroom but will want a 2 br. So I looked at the points required for a 2 br at OKW. I know if I go by myself 1 year I can roll the points over into the next year and we can stay someplace nicer. But this way we will have enough points to play around with. I really like the banking and borrowing option, as it will allow us to try different resorts/rooms and make each vacation different.

DVC2004
11-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I would go with more. Everyone always says I wish I would have joined sooner and I wish I would have bought more points. There are plenty of ways to use them. Also the prices increase and keep in mind, if you wish to add on later through Disney there usually aren't any incentives/discounts for add ons unless it's over 100 points.