PDA

View Full Version : Will the resorts help ship stuff home?

SignguyTom
11-27-2009, 10:25 AM
My DW plans on doing much of our Christmas shopping at DTD in a couple weeks. She is worried about suitcase space to get everthing home. She is planning on packing a smaller suitcase inside the big one so we have a place for the gifts. The only problem is that the airlines will squeeze an extra $25 out of us for the extra bag. :mad:

So... can the resorts help with packing and shipping a box back home? It's got to be cheaper than $25 for UPS (Depending on weight and size, i know). And if so, does the resort charge a fee of their own for this? Anyone had this experience?

disneymom15
11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd pay the $25 fee from the airlines. We sent home a small box with 2 bottles of perfume in it in Sept. It cost us $30. Hope this helps.

Emme&TeddysMommy
11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
We have shipped from our resort to our home. No extra cost is involved, except for the cost of the package it’s self. We shipped in a pampers (size 5) box and it cost about $20.00. If you are planning to ship from your resort I would try and either pack and empty box in your luggage or call the resort ahead of time to see if they could help you locate a box once you arrive. I do recommend that you pack shipping tape, a maker for labeling and news paper for cushioning. We found that this actually worked better than using another luggage. I know with most carriers you can purchase insurance if you are worried about damage. I know from past experience UPS gives you $100.00 of insurance at no charge. Hope you have a great trip and Happy Shopping!

TheRustyScupper
11-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Process:
1) Go to Gift Shop and ask for extra box(es) and packing.
2) Go to room and pack your box.
3) Take to Front Desk or Concierge Desk.
4) They will seal and give you shipping form.
5) Complete the form and it gets shipped.
. . . no fees, except actual shipping charges
. . . shipping fees are chrged to your room
. . . select either UPS or FEDEX
. . . can go ground, 2-day, or overnight
. . . if UPS declared value >$100, must itemize contents

KylesMom
11-27-2009, 05:09 PM
It's got to be cheaper than $25 for UPS (Depending on weight and size, i know). In June, it cost us $19.47 to ship a large box of miscellaneous laundry, shoes & toiletries (approximately 20 lbs) from WL home. The year prior, it cost $22.07 for the same size box, but just a bit more weight.

We always ship a box of miscellaneous snacks & toiletries down, & utilize the same box to send back home. I simply put a small roll of packing tape in my suitcase & prepare it for shipping home myself. Then all you need to do is take it to the front desk.

If you are planning on purchasing breakable items as gifts, there is no way I would pack these items in your checked luggage. Carryon bags, yes - but not checked bags!

When we're purchasing from World of Disney, we always have them ship it. While it is a bit more expensive , anything which is broken is automatically replaced by them. It cost $29.95 for World of Disney to ship back $273 worth of merchandise (tax exempt since shipping out of state), and they replaced a few things which were damaged in shipping. I didn't have to worry about messing around with an insurance claim, they took care of everything.

DisneyDudet
11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
If you are planning on purchasing breakable items as gifts, there is no way I would pack these items in your checked luggage. Carryon bags, yes - but not checked bags!

When we're purchasing from World of Disney, we always have them ship it. While it is a bit more expensive , anything which is broken is automatically replaced by them. It cost $29.95 for World of Disney to ship back $273 worth of merchandise (tax exempt since shipping out of state), and they replaced a few things which were damaged in shipping. I didn't have to worry about messing around with an insurance claim, they took care of everything.

This service is not just for the World of Disney, but that is where we usually use the service, since we buy most of our stuff from there with the discounts offered.

If you purchase anything breakable in the parks or DTD, you can have them shipped. This will be on a purchase by purchase basis, so you cannot have all your purchases lumped together at the end of your trip. The price of shipping is based on how much you spend, which is why. There IS a chance that if you have your receipt and all your items purchased, you can have it shipped, but I don't think they do that. We haven't tried, so I don't know.

We ALWAYS use this service for large items, breakable items, or things we just don't need until a few days after we get back. As said above, they replace anything that breaks, no questions asked. We have only had one item that has been damaged, and they were more than happy to send another. The packing is VERY good, and it doesn't take too long to get home, either.