PDA

View Full Version : Parking VS Resort Shuttle

Lelandmm
11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
We are staying off property for free in a timeshare in Kissimmiee.

We have decided to rent a car after we fly in, instead of taking a shuttle from the aiport to the resort since it will be so expensive.

Our resort offers a roundtrip to the theme parks for $3 per person per day. (3 of us, so $9 each day).

Should we take that? Or should we drive and pay the parking fee?

Does the parking fee allow you to return to the park? Say if we go back to the resort for lunch?

Is there anyway to pre-purchase a parking pass online at a cheaper rate?

Busch Gardens has an offer on their website if you prepay for parking online its a few bucks cheaper.

If we are driving, what time do the parking lots open?

Seasonscraps
11-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Since there is a charge for the shuttle, I would just pay the extra $3 to park at the parks so you dont have to stick to the resort shuttle schedule. It's $12 per day - you can come and go all day. I am not aware of any prepayment deals for parking.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
You'll find that, especially for Magic Kingdom, you'll be better off just renting a car and driving because you don't have to wait for a shuttle, you don't have to vie for a spot, and in terms of Magic Kingdom it's not going to get you to the park any faster. You still have to utilize a monorail or ferry.

Plus, if you decide to leave midday, you also don't have to wait for the shuttle to come pick you up. Having a car is an amazing resource, even if you have to pay for parking, the ability to come and go on YOUR terms instead of being at the mercy of a shuttle is quite a benefit.

Also, as another point, why spend the money on a rental car if you're not going to get much use out of it? Rental places rarely charge you based on mileage, but rather days of use. Take advantage of that fact.

KylesMom
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd much rather be dependent on my own transport versus an outside shuttle. You will only pay once per day - just keep your parking stub and show it if you hop to a different park. Definitely worth the extra $3, in my opinion.

Disney has no pre-pay plan for parking.

If we are driving, what time do the parking lots open? We usually arrive in the parking lot for DHS, AK & EPCOT 30-40 minutes before 9:00 park opening. I would arrive at the TTC for MK opening more like an hour before park opening since you'll have to line up for the monorail/boat to get you to the front gate. :mickey:

CaptainSad
11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Didn't it go to $15??

KylesMom
11-25-2009, 03:11 PM
According to a recent post, it actually went up to $14. However, still worth it to take your own car, IMHO.

Parking Rate Increase (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162426&highlight=Disney+Parking+Rate+Increase)

Faz316
11-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Parking did increase to $14.

DisneyDudet
11-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I would go ahead and use the car you're already paying for. It might seem nice to use the shuttle so that you don't have to do the driving, but, with some hotels, it is not as convenient as it may seem.

I have seen many hotels' shuttles at the TTC, with guests having to make their way from there to the other parks, and the same when coming back. Some hotels offer shuttles, but only at the times THEY want.

WDW does not offer a pre-pay package on parking, but you can come and go as you please all day. You can even change parks.

Disney transportation is fairly flexible, but I would not want to be at the mercy of someone else for my travel. If it were me, I would go ahead and use your car, for a higher level of convenience. The extra few bucks a day will all come out in the wash when you're able to just ride a tram to your car and sit when you're ready.

SillySymphony
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Probably one of the more important aspects to outside shuttle service is WHERE the shuttle bus parks and waits for you. Oftentimes they are out in the middle of the Epcot, TTC or Studios lot- NOT the safest location for anyone after the evening's entertainment has concluded. I've seen folks sitting on the tarmac with small kids in dark conditions as other drivers whizzzzzzzz around them. I'm all for Disney Resort transportation which has its own designated stops, but if I were you I'd be driving. Yes, you'll be adding $14 to your daily totals, but you'll also have control over when and where...

andreallybadeggs
12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
No discussion in our family-- definitely worth the $14 per day if we are off property.:mickey:

Imagineer1981
12-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Absolutely drive. In my experience hotel and resort shuttles from outside property have been unreliable and you waste sometimes hours waiting for them. For a few extra bucks, you'll save a ton of headaches

Lelandmm
12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Well we are going to drive and see how it goes.
My dad talked to his time share, and apparently, you have to make reservations on their shuttle 24 hrs in advance. So if dad decided to head back to the resort, leaving us in the park, the shuttle wouldn't come get him!

So we are just gonna drive.

I certainly wish though they were like Kings DOminion and Busch Gardens where you can get parking cheaper by buying it ahead of time online.

I guess the reason BG and KD do it is because its faster getting people in the lot than making change. AND, the parking is only good for the day you buy it, so if you end up not going to the park that day, they still have your $$$.