PDA

View Full Version : What are the big sports rivalries in your family?

sportsguy2315
11-24-2009, 12:19 AM
With Thanksgiving coming up (and the irony that both of my rivalries occur this weekend), I wanted to see what teams families are divided over. Here are mine:

Vikings/Bears
My entire family is from Chicago, so logic would dictate I follow, right? No. I remember going to Bears camp with my dad when I was little and they had it in Platteville, Wisconsin and it was a 4 or 5 hour drive from our place in MN. I was honestly more excited to travel than to see the Bears! I never looked back when I asked for a Warren Moon jersey one year for Christmas and I got it. Needless to say, when I'm home with my dad and it's Vikings/Bears, it gets ugly. ;)Think imaginary line down the living room and criticized officiating all afternoon, along with the occasional threat to have the TV unplugged if we don't behave.

Seminoles/Gators
I know what you're saying, "Why does a Minnesotan care about southern football? Shouldn't you watch the Big Ten?" a) I'm a native Floridian. b) I don't care for one team stealing the show (cough, Ohio State) nine years out of ten then choking in their bowl game. Anyway, I've been a proud Seminole all my life (Despite the past few seasons and that other school winning the "national championships"). My cousins back down in South Florida LOVE the Gators like it was a family member; everything from Gator autographed footballs to Gator towels to (gulp) naming the family dog Tebow. In fact, my older cousin is a freshman at UF. Does this change things? No. It's a constant barrage of mud flung between the two sides about issues on and off the field. However, they were kind enough to get me a very well done collage of pictures of the rivalry over the years which still hangs in my room.

That said, I see my teams splitting this week; Vikes destroy Da Bears in Chi town while the Gaders beat my Noles before being swept out by a Crimson Tide in the Atlanta night ;)

Greenlawler
11-24-2009, 01:36 AM
My family is pretty solid behind the Titans, but as far as college ball my household supports Vanderbilt, but the in laws and others are Tennessee Vol fans. It really causes little bad blood as Vanderbilt is just not on UT's level on the football field. In fact I tend to cheer for UT when they don't play the 'Dores. However the trump card is that Vandy is very competitive in the other sports, and routinley beats the SEC schools in basketball and baseball. Plus What do UT grads call Vandy grads?....Boss.

deedeebee
11-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I say "M GO BLUE!" My husband says "ROLL TIDE!" If you know anyone who is a Bama fan they will fight to the death. The two teams don't go head to head much(Michigan won their last meeting) but, every weekend there is yelling and happiness, for Bama. Disappointment for me, I won't start on the whole "Richrod" thing. Getting back to the question, we live in Michigan, so the Tigers are my baseball team, the Braves are his. That being said, I do say, Roll Tide, we talk football, I know how hard they work. I would LOVE to see the stadium filled with blue at the Rose Bowl, not this year! It really isn't helping me that our DS14 is totally on his side, they go to A-day and a game or two a year!

Lizzy
11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I was raised here in Central Fl, and grew up always rooting for the Gators! Then, enter my wonderful dear boyfriend, who doesn't watch college football, but when asked to choose always chooses the Seminoles.

Now he has taught my 2 year old to do the Tomahawk and sing the chant. :mad:

I am pregnant now, he better be careful, paybacks are on the way! :thedolls:

sportsguy2315
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Now he has taught my 2 year old to do the Tomahawk and sing the chant. :mad:

:) Yes! I am so proud of your 2 year old!