PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan Impact

Terk24
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
:confused: Is it just me or does it seem that the DDP has taken away from the quality of food that Disney has? I think the prices have gone over the top just to make people on the DDP feel like it is "worth" it. I do enjoy several meals at Disney, but hate having to decide where I will be on certain days 6 months before arriving. We use to be able to be spontaneous on our vacations and get in any where we wanted. I am sure a lot of people will disagree, but just my 2 cents :cool:

A Big Kid
11-23-2009, 08:57 PM
My wife and I used to view dining as another attraction. Lately, we view it as something to be endured, or at least tolerated.

Seasonscraps
11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
:confused: Is it just me or does it seem that the DDP has taken away from the quality of food that Disney has? I think the prices have gone over the top just to make people on the DDP feel like it is "worth" it. I do enjoy several meals at Disney, but hate having to decide where I will be on certain days 6 months before arriving. We use to be able to be spontaneous on our vacations and get in any where we wanted. I am sure a lot of people will disagree, but just my 2 cents :cool:

You will get no disagreement from me. I had this exact conversation with some friends a year ago. I wouldn't mind making ADRs so far in advance if the meals were good. Half the time I feel like I am not getting anything better then I get at TGIFridays, Outback or Olive Garden.

lighteningqueen
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
If even that good. Olive garden is bad to us so alot of Disney restaurants taste that way to us
The prices are outrageous to people in texas. We have great food and at good prices. you do not even see steaks at anywhere near the prices they ahve their and especially not laid on a bed of macaroni and cheese.. what is that!!!!!

Scar
11-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I am sure a lot of people will disagree, but just my 2 cents :cool:I'd be suprised if anyone disagreed.

vicster
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I also do not like making reservations 6 months ahead of time. We use to be able to walk into a restaurant without reservations but no more. We feel our vacation days are planned around our dining reservations and you can no longer be spontaneous. It kind of takes the fun out of it.

lockedoutlogic
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Right on all accounts....

If anybody wants to start a protest march....i'll be at the front of it. (as documented on several hundred occasions):thedolls:

lockedoutlogic
11-24-2009, 09:48 AM
If even that good. Olive garden is bad to us so alot of Disney restaurants taste that way to us
The prices are outrageous to people in texas. We have great food and at good prices. you do not even see steaks at anywhere near the prices they ahve their and especially not laid on a bed of macaroni and cheese.. what is that!!!!!

Hey now....
First, that steak is actually pretty good. Second, don't get steak at Jiko:thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
11-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I agree.:mickey:

Gator
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
The only nice places I went to before the DDP really ramped up was Cinderella's Royal Table and Liberty Tree Tavern. I've NOT noticed a downgrade in food quality. I like the dining plan because it keeps me from eating hamburgers and chicken sandwiches EVERY day of the vacation.

Besides, how can you say the food quality has really gone down? Having a lot of people using the plan won't keep chefs from spicing a steak, seasoning fish, or make the buffets taste any different. And it sure couldn't make San Angel any worse;)

lockedoutlogic
11-24-2009, 10:23 PM
The only nice places I went to before the DDP really ramped up was Cinderella's Royal Table and Liberty Tree Tavern. I've NOT noticed a downgrade in food quality. I like the dining plan because it keeps me from eating hamburgers and chicken sandwiches EVERY day of the vacation.

Besides, how can you say the food quality has really gone down? Having a lot of people using the plan won't keep chefs from spicing a steak, seasoning fish, or make the buffets taste any different. And it sure couldn't make San Angel any worse;)

Actually...cinderellas and liberty tree would fall very low on my list of restaurants at WDW that i would recommend for good food quality.

Character restaurants generally have lower grade food quality...because they can easily get away from it.

Not that any are serving Six Flags or Busch Gardens food.....but there is usually a pretty noticeable difference.

My easy comparison is the food quality of Kona compared to Ohana in the morning....it's not close in my opinion....and they are ten feet from each other

Tinkerfreak
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I also do not like making reservations 6 months ahead of time. We use to be able to walk into a restaurant without reservations but no more. We feel our vacation days are planned around our dining reservations and you can no longer be spontaneous. It kind of takes the fun out of it.

We are in Disney right now and wish we had not done the dining plan. Having to plan our entire day around the dining has been awful and a pain. We have canceled some of them because we just didn't want to have to stop what we were doing to go eat. We will end up with credits left over and no way to use them up because of course everything is booked. We have decided we will definately not do the dining plan again.

BigThunderFan
11-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the DDP.

I LOVE that I will actually get to eat at so many restaurants that there is no way we would eat at if paying out of pocket.

I HATE seeing that extra $800 tacked on to my trip for dining.

I love not eating burgers and fries at every meal.

I hate having to plan my days around dining reservations.

I love steak and bbq. OK I know that one's not really DDP or even Disney related, but just wanted to throw that one out there...

I HATE HATE HATE that I must buy the DDP for every day we are there. I think it would be a GREAT plan if you could buy it for half your stay, or add days a la carte, or something like that. Anyone agree?:mickey:

rubato
11-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I HATE HATE HATE that I must buy the DDP for every day we are there. I think it would be a GREAT plan if you could buy it for half your stay, or add days a la carte, or something like that. Anyone agree?:mickey:

This would really be wonderful. I would actually like a combination of 4 days deluxe dining and 4 days QS. But, I would like them 1 qs/1deluxe/1qs/1 deluxe/ etc.....

That way, I could plan 4 days of heavy eating or signature eating with a light day in between to recover. I would only have to plan half as much and could "wing it" half the time.

I would even be willing to pay a little more than I would for 8 days of regular dining plan.

Just food for thought! (pun intended):)

A Big Kid
11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
This would really be wonderful. I would actually like a combination of 4 days deluxe dining and 4 days QS. But, I would like them 1 qs/1deluxe/1qs/1 deluxe/ etc.....

That way, I could plan 4 days of heavy eating or signature eating with a light day in between to recover. I would only have to plan half as much and could "wing it" half the time.

I would even be willing to pay a little more than I would for 8 days of regular dining plan.

Just food for thought! (pun intended):)

Dont EVER offer to pay more at Disney. EVER!!!!

HoosierDisneyFan
11-27-2009, 10:04 AM
This thread reminds me of a Yogi Berra statement, which I will paraphase: "No one ever goes to there any more because it is too crowded".

DVC2004
11-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think the meal prices are jacked up because of the DDP- they were always alot. Nothing changed there!

I also don't care to plan my meals 6 months out. We used to have no issues (circa 2001 and 2002) walking up and just getting in to just about anywhere. O'Hana is one place now we can only get in at 9:45 pm, and we go because we like it so much but I hate to eat at 10 pm. Can't get into Le Cellier- forget it. We've been at Disney when we literally were turned away from every sit down place at HS for lunch (left that day open) and drove across the street to Crossroads Shopping Center, walked into Chevy's mexican with no waiting and had a fabulous lunch for half of what we would have paid at WDW.

I do miss the days where you could feel hungry, take a look at the park map, pick a place and just walk up and eat. :(

d_m_n_n
11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
OK, I'm going to be the "other" voice here! :)

My name is d_m_n_n and we LOVE the DDP. There, I said it! For our family the ddp is the only way to go.

I love planning meals 6 months out (and was sad when I had to wait until 3 months on this trip). We always know far in advance when our trip is going to be and I never had a problem getting any of our favorites at that time. This always gave me something to look forward to when our trip seemed far away...when those ADR's were made our trip was a reality.

We are also a family of indecisiveness...knowing where we are going to eat for that day frees us from the "Where do you want to go today? I don't care, where do you want to go? Where do you want to eat? I don't care, wherever you want to eat" syndrome we suffered from in 2000. I like having a plan of action.

I haven't noticed much of a quality issue with meals as we have never had a bad meal or poor service on vacation. I'm sorry others feel as though it is taking away from the dining experience, but for our family it only makes it better.

beksy
11-27-2009, 05:18 PM
For us the dining plan works really well. I am on several medications that require me to have a good sit-down meal at least once a day (meaning more than just a sandwich and fries or fruit or I am sick :sick:). It's not easy forcing myself to leave the fun for a meal some days but the dining plan "forces" me to. Also, since I know I'm going to have to eat a sit-down meal each day, that it one of my favorite parts of planning. I love trying new places, different types of food, and going back to favorites. Planning is one of my favorite things and this just increases my fun! Plus, this gives me an excuse to try on-site meals instead of leaving WDW to go to a chain restaurant that will be cheaper. I can fool my mind into thinking that it's already paid for so I don't need to think about it any more. I like having it mostly paid for ahead of time too (not counting tips and shared appetizers). We always plan on doing our meals later in the day (usually around 8 or 9 since we stay up late and take a nap in the afternoon) so it really doesn't take away from park time a whole lot. For a quick trip I wouldn't do this, but as long as I need to have sit-down meals anyway, love to plan, and especially when I'm traveling with others who need the breaks, I will use the dining plan. We're trying the deluxe for some signature meals since we'll be there two weeks on our next trip--can't wait to try some of these but I never would without the dining plan! :santa:

goofygirl67
11-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Well I don't like it. Since I live in Florida I don't even plan where or when I am going to WDW. It usually can be a little as the next day for a room. I used to be able to walk up and get a table anytime, now that rarely happens.
I am using the DDP for the first time this trip only because I have my Mom going with me. I am planning to go all out for what is most likely her last trip here. I hated having to plan so far out, and it was only only 3 months. I planned it around the EMH's which I always have used to decide where I will be at night, normally I wing my vacations.
Hopefully I choose right, but I won't use the dining plan again....too much hassle.

Gator
11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Well I don't like it. Since I live in Florida I don't even plan where or when I am going to WDW. .

When you call the Disney Dining line, they have an option for FL residents to make ressies 7 days out. I think they hold open several spots for people just like you.

And like some of the posters here, I enjoy making reservations far in advance. I actually like the 90 day window vs 180 day window. 6 months just seems a little ridiculous. The room rates for Jan/Feb aren't even out 6 months out. At least at 90 days, I've got everything in order - flights, rooms, tickets.

AllDisney
11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
We remember when we'd get up in the morning & see what kinda of a day it was going to be and then pick our park. We'd get to the park & make our dinner reservations for the night. Sadly, those days are gone:mad:

We are OK with making reservations in advance, but I miss the olde days.

lockedoutlogic
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
When you call the Disney Dining line, they have an option for FL residents to make ressies 7 days out. I think they hold open several spots for people just like you.

And like some of the posters here, I enjoy making reservations far in advance. I actually like the 90 day window vs 180 day window. 6 months just seems a little ridiculous. The room rates for Jan/Feb aren't even out 6 months out. At least at 90 days, I've got everything in order - flights, rooms, tickets.

nope...nothing is held open. the seven day line has no real function...it is no more than a tracking method...they are basically watching the numbers of people "trying" to get reservations up close...and not suceeding

WelshieLover
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Over the years we have noticed a signifcant reduction in food quality and variety. If the dining plan the cause or just Disney cost cutting to make a bigger profit I am not sure. There was a time when San Angel was actually good (think back to when EPCOT was only a few years old). There was also a time where each dining venue had really different and creative items as well as many more selections. If you look at the menus now you see the same old steak chicken or pasta dish (throw a couple of shrimp on top and call it something else) with very little variation from one location to the next. I think a lot this is Disney trying to make a bigger $ by consolidate food ordering and also trying to get people in and out as fast as possible,

lockedoutlogic
12-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Over the years we have noticed a signifcant reduction in food quality and variety. If the dining plan the cause or just Disney cost cutting to make a bigger profit I am not sure. There was a time when San Angel was actually good (think back to when EPCOT was only a few years old). There was also a time where each dining venue had really different and creative items as well as many more selections. If you look at the menus now you see the same old steak chicken or pasta dish (throw a couple of shrimp on top and call it something else) with very little variation from one location to the next. I think a lot this is Disney trying to make a bigger $ by consolidate food ordering and also trying to get people in and out as fast as possible,

you are right on all accounts....

the menu consolidation is a travesty....and yes i know it's good business...but it still is a travesty
many of us have been more steadily pointing to this over the last few years....i include it on EVERY bit of feedback i give disney (which is alot...being a DVC owner and never staying away for more than a few months at most)

The dining plan has allowed two things:

1. It dulls the consumer into not really noticing menu changes - as no money changes hands (very little, after the 08 revisions)...expectations are lowered, more variables are taken out of the situation, and the presentation of the dining plan as "value" and "savings" get's the guppie on the hook practically everytime - so happiness abounds...it's like fishing with dynamite

2. It has allowed them to increase the prices alot (more than usual) on items to paying customers....
First because so many people are unaffected by them because they are on a prepaid plan
Second because the paying public is averse to the plan for SOME reason (there are loads of them...take your pick) and therefore factor the costs of out of pocket into their visit in advance just as much as those buying the plan do....

It seems pretty simple

Tinkerfreak
12-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree that it has reduced the quality of the ts meals and made us feel like our entire trip is planned around dining. The other thing that I really hated about it this past trip was that there is no consistancy with what you get for cs meals. Everyone in line was so confused about what they got that they would have to hold up the line and either put stuff back or go get 2 more drinks etc. Part of the problem was that you got a different answer from day to day from different cm. They told us almost every day that we had 2 drinks included but on our last day the cm argued with me and said I only got one drink etc. Everyone in the food court was so upset and frustrated it was unreal. If everyone was just paying for what they bought there would not be all that confusion and it would go much smoother.
We also had some places allow my DD 12 to order from the kids menu even though she is considered an adult on the plan and some would not, they would make her order from the adult menu or we would just pay for her meal. This ended up leaving us with leftover cs meals.
We wish we had just not done the dining plan because it is too much food wasted. My DD12 would have ordered from the kids menu and older DD15 and I would have split alot of meals because they are just such huge portions.

kemps@wdw
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
:twocents: As a family who has never used the dining plan, we have also seen changes over the years when it comes to food choices, quality, and availability. And not necessarily all good changes. And I believe this is a direct result of the dining plans. I understand that making things easier and more affordable for all was probably the ultimate goal for all. But even the dining plans themselves keep changing. So much so, that it seems the original goal is becoming a little foggy.