PDA

View Full Version : Easter crowds

masondoggy
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
We were planning a February trip, but due to DS's bad report card we can't take him out of school this year so we're now looking at either Spring Break or the second week in June.

Since we don't do heat well and we'd rather not wait that long, we're leaning towards spring break (week before Easter).

How bad is it, really? Are the crowds worse the week before Easter or the week after?

We'll probably be staying off property, so I'm wondering how much of a difference in crowds if we avoid parks with EMH.

SBETigg
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Just make a good strategy and you can handle anything. It's a great time to go for weather. Crowds start gaining the midweek before Easter and start dying down the midweek after, but during that time frame, crowds are pretty high.

Kenny1113
11-23-2009, 08:07 PM
last year we went for the kids spring break( sil was taking nieces and nephew for the first time). It was packed! They closed the mk bc it had reached capacity! I agree with the right strategy it can be done. Mk was packed, only one line that we could not manage and gave up on, space mt fp gone by noon. But ak was a wonderful day!

MOJoe
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Since my wife teaches, we have alternated between Spring Break and early June the last several years. Spring Break crowds include both weeks surrounding Easter. These crowds have been some the largest of the year lately. So it is very important to get to the parks as early as you can. On the other hand, the heat, even in early June, really slows you down in mid-afternoon. So, again, getting to the parks early allows for the most effective touring.

Also, the weather for Spring Break, can be quite warm, or downright frigid. This makes planning and packing difficult. The June heat is consistant. And even though i know it's coming, i still feel the need for a 4 p.m. swim or nap.

Each time has it's +'s and -"s. So you pay your money and take your choice. :mickey:

masondoggy
11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Since my wife teaches, we have alternated between Spring Break and early June the last several years. Spring Break crowds include both weeks surrounding Easter. These crowds have been some the largest of the year lately. So it is very important to get to the parks as early as you can. On the other hand, the heat, even in early June, really slows you down in mid-afternoon. So, again, getting to the parks early allows for the most effective touring.

Also, the weather for Spring Break, can be quite warm, or downright frigid. This makes planning and packing difficult. The June heat is consistant. And even though i know it's coming, i still feel the need for a 4 p.m. swim or nap.

Each time has it's +'s and -"s. So you pay your money and take your choice. :mickey:

How are crowds in early June? We would go the second week, so I think there are still a lot of schools in session. Is the heat THAT bad in early June? I mean, is it bearable in the morning and evenings? We could handle that, with maybe a hotel swim in the afternoon....

Giselle
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Yep. The crowds are bad. I did it once and never again! To me it is a wasted trip to when it is that crowded. You can't enjoy anything and everyones cranky from the heat, crowds, and lines.

masondoggy
11-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Yep. The crowds are bad. I did it once and never again! To me it is a wasted trip to when it is that crowded. You can't enjoy anything and everyones cranky from the heat, crowds, and lines.

So you think we'd be better off going in June?
Heck, I guess if we wait until June, we can afford to stay in a nicer resort! :thumbsup:

Bohms4
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I think Giselle was answering your question about June, not Easter week.

MOJoe
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
The heat in June is tolerable. I have been to WDW in July, when it is still miserable a 9 P.M. June is not like that. Mornings and evenings, after the sun sets are warm but pleasant. But the heat mid-afternoon is intense, causing pop up thunderstorms.

The alternative is the huge crowds and unpredictable temps of Easter. For me, the crowds are the easy part. Get the big attractions done or fastpassed first thing. Then go with the flow. But it's always my luck that a cold wave blows through the day i arrive, making my "spring" break feel more like winter. If i want to be cold on vacation, i'll go to Colorado.:ski:

masondoggy
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
The heat in June is tolerable. I have been to WDW in July, when it is still miserable a 9 P.M. June is not like that. Mornings and evenings, after the sun sets are warm but pleasant. But the heat mid-afternoon is intense, causing pop up thunderstorms.

I think that would be do-able. I think it's pretty much decided to go in June.

I just don't want to wait that long!! :blush: