PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary instead of CBR

rubato
11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm trying to debate something and could use all your seasoned advice.

I am booked for 7 nights at CBR. We've never stayed here and I'm very excited by the theming. But, with the 3 nights free, I've been debating getting a MK view tower room at the Contemporary. We don't normally spend much time in our room, but the monorail convenience would be nice. We usually try to be kind of careful with our spending while on vacation (so we can take more of them), so my hubby will think it's wasteful spending. But, I don't know. I'm kind of intrigued. It will be me, hubby and 10 year old son, so it's not like we'll have little ones to worry about. The pool looks nicer at CBR, but it'll be January. We'll be lucky to get to use the pool.

So, I need help. It'll end up being a difference of about $1024.

Thanks everyone!!

Pirate Granny
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
WELLLLLLLLLLLLl....$1,000 is a lot more $$$ almost enough for another short vacation...And we've gone in December many times and swam every day...especially a ten year old will brave the weather to swim...the pools are nice and heated...just bring a robe or large towel to wrap up in for the walk back to the room. Also there are quiet pools at each of the villages in CBR.

Personally, I don't think the $$$ are worth it; but, if it's a once in a lifetime splurge only you will know if it's worth it.

Have a wonderful time.
:pirate:

wdwfansince75
11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
We have always loved the Contemporary. The monorail is a special draw, but being able to walk to/from the MK is also a plus. The monorail gets you to EPCOT as well. The buses to DHS and AK are just outside the lobby.
In January, AK closes at 5, and the other parks about 8....It also cools down quickly in the evening. The Contemporary offers more to do....although we haven't been there since they moved the game room to the concourse, the new game room, and the counter service venue are even more convenient to guests in the tower.
As a deluxe, the CR offers room service...but it is pricy...It also has convenient "Adult Beverage" venues...both at the concourse, and 14th floors. Also, the boats are convenient...consider the boat to either Fort Wilderness or to Wilderness Lodge for a relaxing evening...or to the Campfire...
According to the schedule, each park has one morning and evening EMH per week, so all parks are closed by 8 or 9 PM on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays....You will spend more time at your resort....The CR offers extra room, extra food and fun options, and more convenient access to other resorts...And they have upgraded the pool.
By the way, you get all the conveniences in the wing rooms as well...That is where we have always stayed....Would reduce cost considerably....Same size rooms...In fact, they have a King bed option...One tip....bring your own coffee for the coffee maker!

stephntampa
11-21-2009, 01:26 PM
My vote would be the splurge. We stayed at the CR right after the remodel, in the tower, MK view. It was truly the most magical stay ever in 'the world'.. watching the fireworks from the balcony (or sitting on your bed), the convenience of the monorail, the delicious room service meal..so many wonderful memories!! Good luck with your decision!!:mickey:

mom2morgan
11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
IF you an afford it, I'd be tempted to splurge. Although I've always been happy with the moderates, I'd LOVE a chance to stay at a Deluxe. Another poster mentioned that you can almost have a second trip with the money you save, but that really depends on where you are. Considering where I live, the BIG cost of going to Disney is always the air-fare, so the extra money on a Deluxe sure wouldn't pay for another trip - I might use it to REALLY enjoy the one I was taking!

rubato
11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I've made my decision to stay at CBR. I would probably have upgraded if the difference would have been a little less, but I really want to see what CBR has to offer. The themeing seems absolutely perfect for us. Since we'll be there for 8 days, we'll have plenty of time to work around the transportation (the main reason for Contemporary was the monorail). I'm getting super excited. Thanks for your opinions, everyone!

daisyhead
11-25-2009, 04:41 PM
CBR has an awesome food court! We've never stayed there, but went over for lunch one day just to check it out! I think you'll love it!

KatMark
11-25-2009, 05:22 PM
We've stayed at the CR in a garden view room and a tower room with a view of the castle; we've never stayed at the CBR.

Personally, I would not pay for the tower room with view of the castle (we were upgraded to that view on our very first stay there). To me, it is just not worth the extra money when we sat outside maybe once to watch the fireworks, look at the castle, etc. We weren't in the room long enough to enjoy it.

Now, I've no desire to stay at the CBR as the theme does not appeal to DH and I as two adults traveling without kids (ours are in college), but I would keep my ressie there and save the $1024 for special meals or a second, shorter trip.

Tinkerfreak
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I am at the CBR right now and I will give you my thoughts on it. I have not stayed at the CR but have stayed at the Poly so I now about the monorail convenience.
Bus service has been better than I thought. Although we hate making all the internal stops once you get into the resort we have actually not had any real long waits for a bus. We do however miss being able to just hop on the monorail and get to the MK in minutes.

We like the quiet pool but would like it more if there were a pool bar so we could enjoy a drink while the kids swim.

We think the food court is ok but hate that it is such a walk to get there. It was really a hassle this morning when it was raining.

I guess if it were me and I could afford to splurge on the CR I would. We miss being able to order room service. For us time is important and with the monorail resorts you do save travel time.
Not sure if I helped at all but I hope some of my thoughts are useful.

Bass T-bone
11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
You could save a little money and get Garden view...

Mrs Bus Driver
11-26-2009, 12:07 PM
We think the food court is ok but hate that it is such a walk to get there. It was really a hassle this morning when it was raining.
I know not everyone likes more walking when staying at WDW, but that is why I love this resort. However if you don't feel like a long walk the bus stops are always close and there is a resort bus that comes often and will take you anywhere in the resort quickly. I used it a few times when I was tired and needed to pickup food. :mickey:

SillySymphony
11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Only the Feature Pool is heated @ CBR, the individual Village pools are not. That being said, you're right, you likely will not spend much time in the water due to the season. You'll notice we're pretty big fans of CBR. It has a "laid back" feel that just says, "Vacation" to us. However, eight days at WDW can lend itself to a possibility of discovering the other Resorts. We've enjoyed breakfasts and dinners at the many Deluxe Resorts and have spent considerable time there just enjoying their respective atmospheres.

Tinkerfreak
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
We wondered why the pool at CBR was so cold. We didn't know they were not heated. My DD was saying that the pool was cold.
As far as the internal bus goes we only saw an internal bus twice then entire week we were there. We were pleasantly surprised by how frequently the park busses came by. We barely had more than a 10 minute wait. Sometimes we were picked up first so had to make all of the other internal stops but those went really quickly and we still felt the bus sytem was pretty good.