PDA

View Full Version : Nov 13- 19th Poly Family - going home (Trip home and final thoughts)

DisneyBarb
11-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Myself – 44 loves all things Disney – 11th trip
DH – 46 loves Disney about a notch below me
DD – 14 loves Disney about the same as DH
DS – 11 mini me in “getting” Disney

Not going to MK ended up being a wise move as we were sleepy from being up with DD. Even though she is a teenager, she still likes to know we are up and care...

Packing was pretty quick, I had bought a mesh bag at the dollar store for our dirty laundry. Just threw the whole thing in the suitcase. We had thought about doing laundry also but decided we had enough clean clothes.

DS and I went to Captain Cooks to get breakfast. We didn't want the same meals as before so got 2 CS (waffles) and then muffins. The CM said we could get the muffins as CS (we had no snack credits left) but had to get 3 drinks with them! Are you kidding me? hhmm can't take liquids on a plane... So I got lots of waters and put them in my checked luggage...

My pager never went off for our food and after inquiring they told me my order never printed out. So because of the wait another bakery item...

We ended up having to call DH and DD to come to Capt Cooks to eat rather than bring it back since it was so much stuff.

Bags were packed and we had an hour until having to go to ME. I sat on a swing and just took it all in...

Bell services came right away, I realized that I left my ME Voucher in my checked bags but it was no problem and I got a voucher.

Walked through the lobby and it was decorated for Christmas! Little magic people must have done it over night..:secret:

ME came on time I put my sunglasses on so the kids didn't see the tears in my eyes as we were leaving the Poly.

Got to to MCO and had some food and went to the gate for our 2:15 flight.

We were settled in the plane and the pilot came on stating mechanical problems.. oh no, here we go...Long story short, 2 hours on the plane and then we were on our way. It was air conditioned and we had the t.v.s and had access to restroom and water. The pilots kept giving us updates and told them if we get uncomfortable they will deplane us. Of course in the back of my mind I'm thinking do I want to be on a plane with mechanical problems?

Took off at 4:00 and landed in a balmy Boston (55 degrees in November is balmy!) at 6:44. Luggage was first off the rack.. Car Service and we are in our house at 8:00pm.

On the plane I had a realization that I left our bathing suits hanging on the wire in the bathroom.. gave them a call today and they will gladly send it to us.

Overall impressions

MK - I would have like to have gone to MK this morning but I think I would have felt too rushed (it had EMH morning). It was nice not having to pack the night before and having a lazy morning

JetBlue - First time we have ever had a delay with them, even our driver said its very rare. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again. Consider ourselves very lucky that we weren't at JFK or Philly which I hear the computers were down and cancelled flights all over the place.

Sickness - It really wouldn't be vacation if someone didn't get sick. It didn't really bother DD but as we flew home the coughing got worse. She has asthma induced by exercise and getting a cold..It sounds bad but not contagious and overall she felt okay except her ribs hurting..

Final Thoughts -

Weather - perfect
Crowds - perfect
Atmosphere - near perfect.. I recall a couple of years ago going in early November and the hotels were decorated etc. I was a little disappointed that this was not the case however, I understand it can be a bit much in November...
Poly - near perfectkeep saying we will stay some where else but as a family this is very special to us
Busses/transportation - near perfect, had the best luck with timing of busses this trip..
(Free) Dining plan - left with 2 CS but can't complain at all about the plan

Disney with a pre-teen and teenager - This was probably the most pleasant suprise at all. I love that they enjoyed seeing it through people around them (1st timers and little ones) eyes.. They enjoyed it very much. They didnt fight as much as past trips.

This trip was bittersweet. We had been through a lot the last couple of years with job losses and some health scares. I didn't think we would get there this year (we try to go every 2 years). DHs back actually felt pretty good as he had tried new therapy before we left. However his legs and feet did bother him...

In the back of my mind I kept thinking, will we get here as a family of four again? I say it everytime but its getting too hard to take them out of school. I really can't imagine going on school vacation weeks or in the summer due to crowds/heat/cost.. Call us spoiled but going in November has really spoiled us.

We like most families are very busy and don't spend a lot of time together all at once. This was great bonding time and when I went back to work today, I thought, I really miss them...

A special thanks to Karen at MJ and to all the Intercotees who answered my questions. As much as I would like to think I know all about Disney I really don't!

Writing reports are like therapy and I'm happy to share them with all of you...Thank you for indulging me.

Have a magical day....

Pirate Granny
11-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Great report...loved reading it.

YOU will get back and it'll be different each time as your children grow older...we now go with our DD 33, 31 and 27 and grandchildren (one DGD has been three times already and is a disney princess)...It's always great and we seem to find different things to enjoy each time.

Have a wonderful holiday season...
:pirate:

slegrant
11-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Great report:mickey:

faline
11-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for taking us along with your family! I especially enjoy reading reports by those who stay at the Poly as it is my favorite resort!

I'm certain you'll find a way to make another family vacation work!

pdrlkr
11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the great Reports! :smickey:

KylesMom
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Your final thoughts summed up your family's time at Disney wonderfully - everything was either perfect or near perfect. :thumbsup:

We too have the dilemma of not being able to spend a lot of time together as a family - and so we've opted to go during DS's summer break. Even though it's hot and crowded, we find the magic in Disney (and each other) every time. I have faith that you'll get back "home" again together! :mickey:

Thanks for sharing the magic with us! :mickey:

barbiegirl314
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank you so much for letting us share in your Disney experience, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

Where abouts in Mass. are you from? I'm down on the so. shore.

DizNee143
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
besides the delay with the plane..sounds like a nice departure day for you guys!
i really enjoyed reading about your vacation..thank you for sharing it with us!:mickey:

princessgirls
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Glad you had such a wonderful time in Disney with your family.

I enjoyed reading your reports!

Julie:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the great reports!! This part of what WDW is all about, wonderful family memories!!:mickey:

DisneyorBust
11-24-2009, 07:43 PM
What a trip! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Another POLY lover here, it is our "home" when at WDW and I know what you mean when you say it is near perfect. The family time that you share is precious and even more special when it includes memories from WDW!:D

vizsla
11-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the report.