PDA

View Full Version : Talk About Excessive Pirce Increases

TheRustyScupper
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Look at the percentage increases. FAR above inflation costs.

Walt Disney World this week hiked rental prices for some frequently used items by between 11 percent and 60 percent.

The price of renting a small locker in one of the resort’s four theme parks climbs from $5 per day to $7 per day, up 40 percent. A large locker jumps from $7 to $9, a 29 percent increase.

The price hikes are steeper in Disney’s two water parks. Small lockers rise from $5 to $8, up 60 percent, and large lockers rise from $7 to $10, up 43 percent.

Meanwhile, the cost of renting a wheelchair goes from $10 per day to $12 per day, a 20 percent increase. And the cost of renting one of the resort’s electric scooters goes from $45 per day to $50 per day, an 11 percent increase.

Disney says the refundable deposit charges for wheelchairs and scooters haven’t changed.

ibrowse17
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow!! Just another reason for us not to use a locker at any of the parks. About the only thing we rent on a consistant basis is a golf cart at FW, and those have gone up as well!

DizneyRox
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I almost spit out my drink on the CM when they told me what the locker rental price was over the summer. It's hiugher now, they can pretty much turn those areas into a gift shop at this point. At least I'd be getting something for my money, even if it's just a cheap trinket from China.

Melanie
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
The price of renting a small locker in one of the resort’s four theme parks climbs from $5 per day to $7 per day, up 40 percent. A large locker jumps from $7 to $9, a 29 percent increase.

That's cheap! We paid $13 for a large locker (which really isn't that 'large') at Emerald Point Water Park in Greensboro, NC this past summer. Small lockers were $9.

Looks like Disney prices were a bargain before the increase.

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 07:01 AM
That's cheap! We paid $13 for a large locker (which really isn't that 'large') at Emerald Point Water Park in Greensboro, NC this past summer. Small lockers were $9.

Looks like Disney prices were a bargain before the increase.

yeah....ummm...not really sure if you're attacking this one from the right angle:secret:

Melanie
11-20-2009, 07:03 AM
yeah....ummm...not really sure if you're attacking this one from the right angle:secret:

Ummm, still a bargain at $9 v. $13, just not as much of a bargain.

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Ummm, still a bargain at $9 v. $13, just not as much of a bargain.

yeah...but couple that with a 65% ticket price increase over the last 8 years....and a 30% hotel price increase....and probably a 10-25% food cost increase....and a 25% merchandise increase....

and...well....you get the picture

Melanie
11-20-2009, 07:27 AM
yeah...but couple that with a 65% ticket price increase over the last 8 years....and a 30% hotel price increase....and probably a 10-25% food cost increase....and a 25% merchandise increase....

and...well....you get the picture

You're too broad. I'm talking about the situation at hand. :thumbsup:

It means a lot to locals like us who may just head on over to Blizzard Beach for the day. Again, just my personal take on it. :secret:

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 07:46 AM
You're too broad. I'm talking about the situation at hand. :thumbsup:

It means a lot to locals like us who may just head on over to Blizzard Beach for the day. Again, just my personal take on it. :secret:

yes...if i were to still live in the great state of FLA...the locker price is what would get me - cause at the waterparks there really isn't an option but to rent the lockers

ryels
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
It definitely seems excessive, but not surprising considering the deep discounts they have been offering over the past year with 4+3, free dining, etc.

The only thing we can do is stop using those particular products. It may not be fun or convenient to do so, but if people stop using those products, the prices will go down or at least stop going up.

DizneyRox
11-20-2009, 01:03 PM
... but if people stop using those products, the prices will go down or at least stop going up.
Unfortunately, we're using Disney logic here, not common sense. With Disney logic, prices will go up, since they won't be making as much money off them as they used to, so they will gouge the people who do (and have no choice).

Either that, or they will shutter them due to "guest feedback"...

Scar
11-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would someone need a locker at a theme park? I understand the water park, but what can't you leave in your car or hotel room, or carry in a bag, or store in a stroller?

Maybe I'm cluless but I can't think of anything.

MaxPower
11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would someone need a locker at a theme park? I understand the water park, but what can't you leave in your car or hotel room, or carry in a bag, or store in a stroller?

Maybe I'm cluless but I can't think of anything.

Some of the more common reasons come from just having too much stuff to lug around that will be needed later or wanting to keep certain items dry. Any trip on Splash Mountain can make a person wish they had a dry shirt and socks waiting in a locker.

And a trip back to the car or hotel ( especially from the Magic Kingdom) can easily take up to an hour depending on where you are staying.

And in the winter months, many people bring sweaters and jackets for in the evenings that they don't want to carry around all day. ( I was at the Magic Kingdom one January- at 2PM it was 74 degrees, and by 8 PM it was 49 degrees- many people were freezing that night).

Also, many families bring lunches such as sandwiches and beverages that they need to store until it's time to eat.

Obviously all theme parks agree that there is a demand for them since they are in every theme park. But once again, the price gouging is ridiculous.

MaxPower
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
The parking fee increases are always the ones that sting the most people.

I am appalled at how much it costs to park a car at the theme parks now.

And I always think it makes a horrible first impression.

I picture the excited family who finally makes it to WDW. After the joy of driving onto property the first time and then they see the first sign: Parking $15 - what a sock in the stomach - not to mention the immediate thought of "What else is Disney going to gouge me with today? A dollar a sip from the drinking fountain? Pay toilets?"

Not a very magical moment.

MushuGrl
11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
The parking fee increases are always the ones that sting the most people.

I am appalled at how much it costs to park a car at the theme parks now.

And I always think it makes a horrible first impression.

I picture the excited family who finally makes it to WDW. After the joy of driving onto property the first time and then they see the first sign: Parking $15 - what a sock in the stomach - not to mention the immediate thought of "What else is Disney going to gouge me with today? A dollar a sip from the drinking fountain? Pay toilets?"

Not a very magical moment.

I totally agree, not to get off topic too much. My boss took his granddaughter for her first Disney trip this summer (Just one day at MK - they were staying at New Smyrna). Asked him did he have fun and his response pretty much was after paying nearly $400 to get the whole family into the park, it REALLY stung him to have to pay an additional $15 just to park his car.

JPL
11-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm guessing the locker fee increase is to discourage people from bringing in outside food and drink. I know the only time I really use one is in the cooler months when it's warm durning the day and colder at night. I guess we will be seeing more people lugging backpacks around the parks.

Patricia
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Wait till they see how many more people decide to use the package pick up at the gates.

I know I won't continue to use the lockers at that price.

Ian
11-25-2009, 04:48 PM
We never use lockers (we travel pretty light), but honestly I really think Disney's prices are pretty much in line with other, comparable entertainment venues.

For example, if I want to go see an Eagles game (which offers me maybe 3-4 hours of "fun" ... if they win) it's going to cost me $100 minimum for a ticket, plus $20 to park, and then you have to pay for the $8 drinks, $7 hot dogs, etc.

By contrast, even if I bought a one day/one park pass for like $80 and paid $15 to park I'd save $25 and I'd get around 12 hours of entertainment out of it.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-25-2009, 07:02 PM
I've never had a need for a locker. Any shopping I do, I do at the end of my day, simply for that purpose.

As for parking, they don't make money on it. It's just a bottom line. Consider this: all on-property resort guests with a parking permit for their resort get free parking. All cast members get free parking. AP's get free parking I believe (although don't quote me on this, I'm not 100%). That's quite a few people who are technically parking for free. They have to make some kind of profit on parking. So they do have to, unfortunately, charge higher rates for the people that aren't in those three groups: day trippers and off-property guests.

I guess you could say Disney could use the free parking angle as a way to improve AP sales or on-property resort bookings.

lockedoutlogic
11-25-2009, 10:51 PM
For example, if I want to go see an Eagles game

who wants to see that trainwreck on turf?:number1:

bruin1344
11-26-2009, 10:18 AM
We never use lockers (we travel pretty light), but honestly I really think Disney's prices are pretty much in line with other, comparable entertainment venues.

For example, if I want to go see an Eagles game (which offers me maybe 3-4 hours of "fun" ... if they win) it's going to cost me $100 minimum for a ticket, plus $20 to park, and then you have to pay for the $8 drinks, $7 hot dogs, etc.

By contrast, even if I bought a one day/one park pass for like $80 and paid $15 to park I'd save $25 and I'd get around 12 hours of entertainment out of it.

Yea I agree about comparable to entertainment venues. Up here in Boston, entertainment at the movies, skiing, Fenway Park, Gillette Stadium, TD Garden, etc. the costs are ridiculous. It makes the WDW theme parks look like a bargain.

princessgirls
11-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Everything is going up...

We are a family of 4 2 adults, 2 children

A trip to Yankee stadium costs us $400

Radio City Christmas Show another $400 day

Miley Cyrus concert $300, and like Ian mentioned these are only for a few hours of entertainment.

Hershey park was a pleasant surprise at $120 for tickets for the day. I was so surprised, I said to the cashier..."that's all I owe".
Anyway, at the end of the day, and having done many different parks, sporting events, and entertainment venues, I think Disney does offer a good bang for the buck...IMO.
Julie:mickey:

tigmickey
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Whenever you look at SMALL numbers the percentage always looks HUGE when they have an increase. From $1 to$2 it is a 100% increase!! What an INCREASE!! Oh wait it's a only buck.

Let's be real. If you needed a locker every day you went into a park for a week visit it would cost you $12 more. If you don't want to carry a back pack you pay for a locker. If you are paying for a locker you budget for it. I used to have a line item for a stroller when my kids were little.

I went to Great America in Chicago and payed $6 for a stale pretzel and $2 for a cup of cold cheese sauce. I have to budget for a trip to the Museum and have to try and get free tickets to afford to go to a Bears game.

We need to take the comparable markets into account before we start spinning things out of proportion. I would gladly pay DOUBLE for a trip to WDW and at these increases it will take 20 years before DOUBLE is even close.

Renfairwedding
11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I've
As for parking, they don't make money on it. It's just a bottom line. Consider this: all on-property resort guests with a parking permit for their resort get free parking. All cast members get free parking. AP's get free parking I believe (although don't quote me on this, I'm not 100%). That's quite a few people who are technically parking for free. They have to make some kind of profit on parking. So they do have to, unfortunately, charge higher rates for the people that aren't in those three groups: day trippers and off-property guests.

I guess you could say Disney could use the free parking angle as a way to improve AP sales or on-property resort bookings.

Bottom Line.... Parking should be included in the price of the ticket.

DizneyRox
11-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm not paying for parking unless I need to park a car. I don't drive in WDW, so I don't pay for parking. Seems fair...

Now, the cost to park a car is what's up for debate I think.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not paying for parking unless I need to park a car. I don't drive in WDW, so I don't pay for parking. Seems fair...

Not to mention like I noted earlier you don't pay for parking anyway if you're staying on property.

lockedoutlogic
11-30-2009, 11:41 AM

I believe that the cars in the lot don't actually account for a very large percentage of people on WDW property anymore....so that would make the included parking price kinda ridiculous....even by disney standards

Altair
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Not to mention like I noted earlier you don't pay for parking anyway if you're staying on property.

What, you don't think it's already figured into the room price somewhere along the line. In reality, you're paying for parking whether you have a car in the lot or not.:secret:

DizneyRox
11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
What, you don't think it's already figured into the room price somewhere along the line. In reality, you're paying for parking whether you have a car in the lot or not.:secret:
Yeah, double dipping is to be expected, triple dipping is a violation.

WDWFanatic
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
What, you don't think it's already figured into the room price somewhere along the line. In reality, you're paying for parking whether you have a car in the lot or not.

Yeah, double dipping is to be expected, triple dipping is a violation.

Unless you go to Universal and stay at one of their hotels, and then you also pay for parking every day...so can we come up with an example of quadruple dipping :thedolls:.

beksy
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't joke about paying for using the restrooms! We've been places that do charge (years ago when my sister was little) and it was no fun running around looking for my parents because we didn't know about the charge and didn't have any change. At that age she didn't give a lot of warning and one time we almost had to just send her crawling under a stall door :ack: Personally, I am willing to put up with these price increases, and even the larger ones if it means a trip to Disney. It just means saving a little more or making some changes in our touring habits but the other theme parks I've been to just don't compare to a family with a lot of disabilities that Disney accomodates so well and the magic we find there. :twocents: