PDA

View Full Version : Airport photo ID question

disneymom15
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok, we leave in less than 10 days and my mother can't find her drivers license. She hasn't driven in over a year because of her health. Her mind hasn't been real sharp lately and can't remember where she put her license. I did find an expired license. I'm wondering if the expired one will get her through the airport. Also, she'll be celebrating her b-day while we're there. Will disney except her expired license for proof of b-day. What do you all think. Will it work or should I take her to DMV for a replacement?

Lelandmm
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I would say call the airline that you are flying.

I am dreading this whole issue myself. My license expired on my birthday (Nov 9) and even though I mailed off my form to DMV, I haven't received my new license. My passport still has my former name on it, so even though its good til 2017, I can't use it for ID.

I would say if you can find Mom's paperwork, you might as well take her to the DMV and get her an ID card, not driver's license.

Unfortunately, since I've mailed off my renewal form, I can't go to the DMV and get one!

NJGIRL
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
My advice would be to get it renewed even if the airline says the expired one will be OK. I wouldn't want to take a chance of getting to the airport only to be turned away because you got bad information over the phone. Better safe than sorry.

Seasonscraps
11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I am pretty sure you are going to need valid ID at the airport. See if motor vehicles can expidite a replacement or maybe issue an official state ID card.

I'm not sure about Disney.

phillydan
11-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I worked for an airline and am also a PA Notary Public- proper ID is essential; I hated sending people home from the airport that did not have proper ID to travel. I am assuming that there is no birth certificate available.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Take her to the local DMV office and get a replacement, assuming that she has a active license on file; you will be there for a while, but it is better than being denied boarding and losing a day of vacation.

2. If the license is truly expired and not eligible for renewal without a driving test, get a state ID card (called a non-driver's license in PA). Most local DMV offices can process the paperwork and ID at the same time - you may need a cashier's check or money order.

3. Go to your local State services building and get a state issued Birth Certificate; these are generally accepted as a second form of ID; it should work along with the expired picture ID. You have to do this in the state your mom was born. (Note: state birth certificates have a raised seal and no baby footprints).

4. Go to a Notary Public and get a notarized Affidavitt stating that the license was lost and then use that letter with the expired license. The notary may even be able to help you with the replacement - in PA we have same day couriers to the capital to get this type of problem corrected within 2 business days.

Please, for the sake of your mom and the people working at the airport, get this resolved before you show up at the airport and then have to deal with a denied boarding situation. No one wins in that situation and it could easily be avoided.

Also, act ASAP - with the holiday next week, you really have 3 business days to get everything done. Good luck - let us all know how you make out!

Gregandmel
11-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I would make a beeline to the DMV. I would NOT take a chance!!

SallyMcQueen
11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I'd get a photo id from your local DMV. Better safe than sorry.

SallyMcQueen
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh, I notice your are in Appleton, WI. I know that here in Madison we have a location that only processes ID renewals so the waits are really short. I would look into that up there. HTH.

wdwnomad
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Although having a valid non expired ID would make traveling less of a hassle you can get through security without one. From the TSA website:

Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane.

beksy
11-20-2009, 02:22 AM
I've always found remembering everything (or at least trying to) when going through security is stressful enough without any extra worries. I'd go ahead and get a valid ID just to be safe and have one less concern.

Tick-Tock
11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
A few years ago, my DH's license expired while we were at WDW and the screener noticed. She said technically she shouldn't accept it, but because we were homeward bound and the license had expired during the trip, she let us through. That was before the rules got tighter. I'd go get the state ID.

Lelandmm
11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Well luckily I don't have to worry!

I got home last night and my DL renewal was in the mail.
I don't like the way that the new VA licenses look, its ugly! But its valid!

So at least I dont have to worry about trying to get on a plane with my Expired Drivers License or a passport in my former name!