PDA

View Full Version : It's official - SM opens Nov 22

WDWdriver
11-19-2009, 08:43 AM
The following is from the internal CM web site:

Rising 183 feet above the futuristic Tomorrowland scenery, Space Mountain takes Magic Kingdom Guests on a thrilling roller coaster ride through the cosmos. Earlier this year, our Walt Disney Imagineering Team took advantage of regularly scheduled maintenance time to undergo an extended refurbishment effort, demonstrating our commitment to refresh this classic, iconic attraction. On Sunday, November 22, Space Mountain will reopen with all new storyline elements, enhanced lighting and “darkening” effects, updated décor, fun interactive queue elements and a ride photo system to capture Guest memories on film. Now that Space Mountain and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority will be open, the Morning Extra Magic Hour offering will move to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland on Thursday mornings, effective Thursday, November 26.

Stu29573
11-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Yea!!! I wish I could be there!:coaster:

Ms. Mode
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Updated decor in the dark...lol ...

I can't wait:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Please don't tell me the priority of this entire 'refurb' was to install a camera so they can sell more pictures..... I REALLY hope there is more to it than that.

Melanie
11-19-2009, 12:32 PM
We'll be there, but not sure if we'll be in the MK that day. May have to try! :thumbsup:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Please don't tell me the priority of this entire 'refurb' was to install a camera so they can sell more pictures..... I REALLY hope there is more to it than that.

Check out my thread in Theme Parks about my reactions to riding it during its soft opening this past Saturday. That should pretty much sum it up.

SurferStitch
11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Looking forward to it. It will be nice to see it spruced up.

lockedoutlogic
11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Just booked a $550 dollar flight, $389 hotel room, a rental car, and an annual pass voucher to experience it.....

leaving sunday morning, back monday on the red eye.....

Can't wait!!!!!:sombrero:

BluewaterBrad
11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Just booked a $550 dollar flight, $389 hotel room, a rental car, and an annual pass voucher to experience it.....

Now THAT is a fan!!:mickey:

Scar
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Please don't tell me the priority of this entire 'refurb' was to install a camera so they can sell more pictures..... I REALLY hope there is more to it than that.Welcome aboard "the bandwagon!" ;)

DizneyFreak2002
11-19-2009, 07:05 PM

Well they modernized the queue, if you want to call it that... Other than that, I am reading online that the ride still isn't smooth, it isn't darker, and the camera is in a bad area... Some parts of the refurbishment are getting good marks with the online crowd however... Still, this was a blown opportunity in my opinion... But, who knows what may be in store when Tomorrowland gets it refurb...

BMan62
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
OK...How about waiting to pass judgment until you actually RIDE it? Lots of heresay going around, but only a few comments from people that have actually been on/through the updated ride, and they seem to be mostly positive.

Ed
11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Here's some pictures from today's Orlando Sentinel. (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/the-daily-disney-pictures/orl-pg-space-mountain,0,4455599.photogallery)

Emme&TeddysMommy
11-20-2009, 09:01 AM

That’s dedication in it’s best :thumbsup::number1:

Stu29573
11-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok, I just checked out the pics and I must say that I was impressed. It really does seem to keep the feel of the original while "spiffing -up" the details. I think the pics show how a verbal description can't really catch the new feeling. But that's just my opinion...

Scar
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't go to WDW during busy times so maybe I'm wrong here, but I haven't seen them use the queue maze in the loading area since fastpass came along. Why did they keep/replace that?

The new paint and carpeting looks nice though.:thumbsup:

Scar
11-20-2009, 09:44 AM
That’s dedication in it’s best :thumbsup::number1:Nah, Locked is just one of those stupid repeat customers. ;)

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Nah, Locked is just one of those stupid repeat customers. ;)

darn tootin':blush:

lockedoutlogic
11-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't go to WDW during busy times so maybe I'm wrong here, but I haven't seen them use the queue maze in the loading area since fastpass came along. Why did they keep/replace that?

The new paint and carpeting looks nice though.:thumbsup:

good point....that new queue is only going to be used for 4-5 actual months of the year.

Most people know what space mountain is....so it's never going to be mobbed again...only during the highest attendance periods

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
good point....that new queue is only going to be used for 4-5 actual months of the year.

Most people know what space mountain is....so it's never going to be mobbed again...only during the highest attendance periods

I dunno, I'd still rate it as one of the parks most popular attractions. Even in the off-season there were plenty of days I'd fastpass it because the wait was 30-45 minutes.