PDA

View Full Version : I need some ECV driving tips please

DisneyPrincess21
11-19-2009, 01:05 AM
I have driven an ecv before once when i was in a leg cast, i only had to drive around walmart (not really many skills learned there lol) and i drove one briefly at wdw from the hub In MK to the wheelchair rental place (all flat land)

As some of you know i have to rent an ecv for my upcoming december trip due to a back injury and i am having all kinds of ridiculous day dreams about driving the ecv up ramps like at the monorail, up the hill for fantasmic, the different hills in epcot (the one from the uk to france, the one over by mexico, the ones at the different attractions etc) Any way, i am worried about driving the ecv up the different ramps/hills and the ecv flipping :blush::secret:(i know i know, i worry too much, what else is new :D)

So do you guys have any ECV driving tips (besides the ones to watch people who stop or dart out in front of you)?

Disney4us2
11-19-2009, 02:01 AM
You should be fine. I would practice more at Walmart...lol Try going through the rows of clothing, sort of like being in the que lines.

I admit I needed some practice after my back surgery navigating the que lines at Disneyland.
I am not a tiny person and didn't flip the scooter at all. I was able to get on the DLR train, only bumped the train a few times.:secret: I found the hardest part was driving at night. People really don't see you. I wish I had an air horn :D I am sure someone will come by with more tips.

Have a fun trip:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Number one thing to remember is that you are sitting below the level of a walking persons eyesight. They just don't look down. I once had a woman end up in my lap as she thought she'd found a "hole" in the crowd. Be alert. Take complete responsiblity to be the one constantly watching out for the other guy.
Take some time practicing backing up and turning before you head out to the busses and the parks if you are having the ECV delivered to your resort.
"Hills" as you call them are a piece of cake, just take them stright on. Do not go at them at an angle, that would be the only time you would feel tippy.
Remember they don't stop on a dime and they don't have brakes. Slow down and plan ahead if you know you'll be coming to a stop. I once put a dent into an elevator door at the Poly when I was paying more attention to my talking than to my driving.

peemagg
11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
make sure you watch out for the rail tracks down mainstreet. Be sure if you have to go across them that you do not go at an angle. You can get the wheels caught in the tracks if you get near them either going the same direction as they are going or if you go at a angle.

Just be careful of things like that. It could throw you if you aren't careful.

beksy
11-20-2009, 02:31 AM
We were in the same situation as you in October. The main things I noticed are to remember that these go a lot faster than the ones at Wal-Mart when they are turned up so we never turned them all the way up; for the buses, we never got the hang of it so I would suggest practicing beforehand and then listen to what the driver says since they can be really helpful (we also found that most of them realized we weren't very good drivers and helped us maneuver into the parking spot once we were on the bus :thumbsup:); when getting on the bus you have to turn up the speed a little but then turn it back down as far as it will go as soon as you are on the bus and parking; most importantly, approach this with a sense of humor! We got a lot of strange (and sometimes mean/rude) looks because it took us a little longer (we had to have 2 ECVs which made it worse) but we just reminded each other that this was our vacation too, we were there to have fun, and that those people didn't know how lucky they were to not have to use an ECV, and we laughed at each other's accidents! Have a great trip and don't stress too much...you'll get used to it in no time. :mickey:

TheDuckRocks
11-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I forgot about the train tracks down Main Street, peemagg is right do be careful crossing them.
I just found out my brother-in-law has hurt his knee and will be using an ECV along with me. Oh, are we going to get the "evil eye" at the busses. Oh well, too bad.
I hope to meet up with Marilyn Michette one day while we are there, so that will be 3 of us using ECVs. Maybe we can get a couple of others to join us and have a parade.

DisneyPrincess21
11-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I just found out my brother-in-law has hurt his knee and will be using an ECV along with me. Oh, are we going to get the "evil eye" at the busses. Oh well, too bad.
I hope to meet up with Marilyn Michette one day while we are there, so that will be 3 of us using ECVs. Maybe we can get a couple of others to join us and have a parade.

LOL! I'll join your "parade" when will you guys be at WDW? We can fight off the evil eye together! :D :grouphug:

TheDuckRocks
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
LOL! I'll join your "parade" when will you guys be at WDW? We can fight off the evil eye together! :D :grouphug:

We'll be there Nov. 30 through Dec. 10.

DisneyPrincess21
11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
We'll be there Nov. 30 through Dec. 10.

I will be there from Dec. 3rd-Dec 11th

PETE FROM NYC
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
DW and I are both experienced ECV users. Even so, she did a flip with hers on the tracks on Main St.
She did not get hurt, more embarassed than anything, because with two artificial knees, it took her some time to get up with help from several passers-by.
I totally agree with other posters that people just don't see ECVs, and its adults as much as it is kids that walk right into you. Next trip, I will be riding with a whistle in my mouth.
And we, too, got dirty looks from a few while loading onto the buses.
Keep practicing at Wallmart or other store.
I use the ECV at our local Stop and Shop and I can bang a U-turn in the elevator.

Renfairwedding
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I use a electric wheel chair so A EVC may act a little different.

1 - Great advice from others concerning the tracks down Main Street. Watch the gap!

2- In the early morning the ramp to the MK train station at the entrance can be wet and very slippery. I did a out of control 360 spin while sliding down to the bottom. I though it was the best ride of the day but my wife did no agree at all.

3- Look for curb cuts to get on and off sidewalks. I know this may sound obvious but I have witnessed people trying to sort of drop off a curb in the street. Usually ends in a spill. One lady I am convinced was trying to "Jump" off the curb with a running start.

Most of all take your time and be alert, keep a sense of humor and enjoy the ride.
:mickey:

mickeefan
01-16-2010, 08:51 AM
My only additional comment is remember to turn your speed control back down after going up the ramp on a monorail.
I have forgotten a few times and ended up sailing down the ramp when we departed. Never came close to spilling, but have given a couple of cast members a heart attack.

beksy
01-16-2010, 03:26 PM
My only additional comment is remember to turn your speed control back down after going up the ramp on a monorail.
I have forgotten a few times and ended up sailing down the ramp when we departed. Never came close to spilling, but have given a couple of cast members a heart attack.

Great point! Mom forgot to do this on our last trip and about gave my sister and I a heart attack. She barely got stopped before she went head-first into the bushes. Funny now but it scared me at the time! :eyes:

ElenitaB
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
If you're going to rent an ECV for your entire stay from an outside vendor (which I recommend considering that WDW now charges $50 per day :faint: ), practice parallel parking behind a bench at your resort a few times before getting on the bus. As a city dweller who has to parallel park on the street all the time, I'm not such a good parker when I have to do so to my left side (even in the car). The practice was very helpful.

DisneyPrincess21
01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone, my trip in December was successful, i didnt have any problems using the ecv, the only problem was the darn rain we had.